how is the internet in Prachuap khiri khan?

tyznd

I've been thinking of a possible move to Prachuap Khiri Khan and need to find out how good or bad the internet service is there.. Can anyone please provide with more info on what's available and some stats on prices and download times I could expect? Thanks

I am sure it is just as bad as the rest of Thailand depending on what source you use.

I have the best luck in Isan with CAT but it works 'ok' for about 2 weeks and then the high speed goes way down for the rest of the month.

My guess is that if you have access to a LAN line, you will be fine. Most of the bigger cities are well wired. And this is the provincial capital, so it is probably decent. It seems like a very nice town. Will you be living in town? Are nice homes reasonable to rent?

Well I'm on TOT 30 Mbps fibre, which is very reliable and very fast - ping times around 6 ms, speed test results consistently give 30 Mbps, and it hardly ever goes down.

The connection from Thailand to the rest of the world still sucks though, so it's a nice fat pipe between home and Bangkok, and a bit of string to the rest of the world.

Oh, and this is on the very edge of Hua Hin, around 12 km from the centre. Apparently you can get up to 200 Mbps now, maybe more, though the costs go up quite exponentially. 30 Mbps (3 Mbps uplink) is around 1600 baht per month at the moment, pretty reasonable for Thailand. On a side note, friends in Japan have 100 Mbps fibre, which costs less then it does here for 30 Mbps. I guess prices will keep on falling as competition hots up.

Edited by roly
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I stayed in PKK hotel for a month during March.

ASDL connection was poor during day after say after 07.00, but decent during night early morning.

Hotel owner stated that he was getting 3BB fibre optic hopefully during my stay.

For about the last 10 days an installation team was working toward the hotel and making very slow progress.

john

• 3 months later...

Hi - I'm thinking of relocating to Prachuap Khiri Khan, too...after several years on Samui and up to -here- with money-grubbing, skyrocketing prices, tho I like the ocean and a few things here.

Can anyone tell me if it is like going a bit TOO far in the other direction, that is, is there absolutely nothing to do in PKK, and, same as here, only bars, but cheaper rents?

Is the air base active, and is that a noisy venture?

Where are the best places to get a house OFF/AWAY from the road and noisy areas (so, I guess not in the center of town), for 5-7K TB for a large 1-bedroom or a 2-br/bath place with a garden, etc.?
I hear this is possible, and that there are nice beaches, and nice ocean, yet a couple told me the water's not nice there.

Are there any kind of farang gathering places? Many farang there? English, Americans, Swiss, Netherlands? Only Germans, Italians, French, the ones I've heard talk about it?

Is there medical care/a hospital? OR, must one go all the way to Hua Hin for anything significant? Are there pharmacies and the regular things in PKK? Bar fun for visiting friends from Phuket, Samui?

Can anyone offer some info, or at least point me to others who can inform me, relatively soon, as I might jump along with someone else who is doing this soon.

Thank you very much in advance! TFG