Half of new graduates will not get jobs: Thailand

webfact

I took my little dog to the vet this afternoon and the bill was 350 baht. I gave her a 1000 baht note and she used her calculator to figure my change. And she seems to be a good vet. I hope my cardiologist has better math skills.

w00t.gif

I always get some weird look from my staff when I put my eyes to infinity for 2 seconds and than write the result of a calculation on the paper without calculator. I guess they think I am extreme smart....but no just average but the drilled it into me in the school.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

batchelors degree graduates...cheesy.gif spare me please...they wouldnt pass an 11+..exam..

I see you too have taught in the Thai education school system.

I was told last year by a university lecturer with a PHD in English "me English good yeh". I could not stay there as I kept laughing at him.

I think I had only 1 student who would pass uni in a western country out of 800+

That is horribly sad and absolutely believable. When everyone passes...everyone fails.

Yes it is the reason why I will never teach here again. The worst was when I wrote an exam for M3 students and the marking was done with 8 wrong out of 20 MC questions. Then they would not fix it as it would mean a loss of face to them.

I felt so sorry for the good students and advised them to go to uni overseas sad.png

• Like 2

This is a big B st in pink colour.

If some-one wants to work in TH can do it.

I'm always surprised when I want to pick up new TH employees and open a Job Bkk account and mostly they say "thanks I'm employed already" .

So this is really B st.

I took my little dog to the vet this afternoon and the bill was 350 baht. I gave her a 1000 baht note and she used her calculator to figure my change. And she seems to be a good vet. I hope my cardiologist has better math skills.

w00t.gif

I always get some weird look from my staff when I put my eyes to infinity for 2 seconds and than write the result of a calculation on the paper without calculator. I guess they think I am extreme smart....but no just average but the drilled it into me in the school.

BUT the OP talks about "new graduates" and not a dog shit cleaners ....

"It has also predicted that unemployment rates will reach 1.0 to 1.2 percent in 2014 across the country, considerably higher than last year’s rate of 0.8 percent"

Yeah that is a massive and alarming rise in unemployment.

Well , that largely depends on what University they graduated from, if it is a prestigious university they have a 90% chance of getting a job. If it is a Mickey Mouse university that has a low standard of English, Then their chances are slim, as most companies are starting to prepare for the AEC project to start.

Let them eat cake plant rice ! rolleyes.gif

At least one result is that we get a reasonable standard of bank-teller, now how to find someone who understands English, to take orders at the Drive-Thru McDonalds ? whistling.gif

0.8 to 1.2 is a 50% rise... You might consider it massive and alarming if it was the interest payment on your education loan...

Thailand's low unemployment has hampered growth and produced a fickle workforce for years. Small companies, the engine for growth and innovation, can't hire easily because they can't out pay and out perk larger companies. The grunt labour I employ will walk if you don't treat them gently, even for lower pay. They want easy jobs, and can't explain the difference between a job and a career...

"It has also predicted that unemployment rates will reach 1.0 to 1.2 percent in 2014 across the country, considerably higher than last year’s rate of 0.8 percent"

Sent - how is not that important...

Estimated 30% of US college grads are unemployed...many are working in the fast-food industry...with average tuition of $29,000 owed to the gov't for student loans...

Well , that largely depends on what University they graduated from, if it is a prestigious university they have a 90% chance of getting a job. If it is a Mickey Mouse university that has a low standard of English, Then their chances are slim, as most companies are starting to prepare for the AEC project to start.

Correct. Prestigious uni's graduates will get chosen first, with an exception to the old boy network, but that is the same anywhere.

My SO's masters is from Prince of Songkhla, and is recognised in NZ at least.

Talking to her on this subject, and with regard to a current news story on TV about the best universities in the world, wherein PSU and Chiang Mai Uni were mentioned, but not Chulalongkorn, she says that Chulalongkorn graduates will take precedence over PSU or CMU. Old boy network and all that will trump prestigious.

There is always 7/11 if you can use a calculator

And TAT if you can't.

I thought you were going to say a government post if you can't.

All you need for a government post is the ability to count with the aid of your fingers.

To be fair....once had to pay 49 bth...gave 50.....and ...yes...calculator. she was in her 60s.....had to laugh...

There is always 7/11 if you can use a calculator

And TAT if you can't.

I thought you were going to say a government post if you can't.

All you need for a government post is the ability to count with the aid of your fingers.

And not lose count when you change hands.

They are mostly unemployable.

Many of them mysteriously will have exactly the same exam results. Maybe the wealth of parents more than anything will decide who gets employment or maybe I'm too cynical.

They are mostly unemployable.

Many of them mysteriously will have exactly the same exam results. Maybe the wealth of parents more than anything will decide who gets employment or maybe I'm too cynical.

Could someone please explain to me why Thai students have to declare their major prior to getting into college ?

Maybe I don't understand how the system works but the TG's daughter had to declare what she was going to be (a teacher) before her "freshman" year. Now that it has been announced that there is going to be an excess of 50,000 teachers I am told that after two years of college it is too late to change that decision

When I went to college, oh so long ago, your first two years were dedicated to general subjects and you only had to declare a major by the 3rd year and so long as you chose the correct courses could change it up to the fourth year

Any thoughts or advice

Edited by Langsuan Man

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This situation exists in the rest of the world for properly qualified graduates , why should it not apply in Thailand - this is a world wide issue.

Estimated 30% of US college grads are unemployed...many are working in the fast-food industry...with average tuition of $29,000 owed to the gov't for student loans...

Sorry, to not join the Thai bashing mantra, but without commenting on the comparison of the educational systems, the employability of college graduates in the USA is not much better than what this article projects for Thai graduates. I know of many USA college graduates who after being unemployed or underemployed choose to attend graduate school to possibly open up other opportunities or give them another 2 years to wait for the economy to turnaround. Many of my friends kids graduate from top Universities, but are still not employable as although smart, have few saleable skills.

and yes, a student entering a USA University is asked to declare a major, but they also have the option of selecting, "undeclared" or general education.

Edited by losgrad

0.8 to 1.2 is a 50% rise... You might consider it massive and alarming if it was the interest payment on your education loan...

Thailand's low unemployment has hampered growth and produced a fickle workforce for years. Small companies, the engine for growth and innovation, can't hire easily because they can't out pay and out perk larger companies. The grunt labour I employ will walk if you don't treat them gently, even for lower pay. They want easy jobs, and can't explain the difference between a job and a career...

"It has also predicted that unemployment rates will reach 1.0 to 1.2 percent in 2014 across the country, considerably higher than last years rate of 0.8 percent"

Sent - how is not that important...
They are just starting to admit the reality.

There is a hell of a lot more than 0.8% and will be a lot more than 1.2% if it were measured the same as the west. My niece waited 9 months to find something and has finally with SCG.

Her prestigious law degree has secured her a job selling cement on 13k per month. But, u say, there is no unemployment, why so hard to get a job, why so low wage?

Someone is telling and has been telling s porkie pie for a very long time.

Edited by Thai at Heart