Lots of old Vespas in parts of BKK?

Thaiwi

Been here for a few months now and can't help but notice when I get into certain areas there is an abundance of old Vespas around. Probably not just Vespas now that I think about it.

Anyway, plenty of them seem to be used as delivery bikes and haul big loads. I've never ridden one and only seen a few up close, is there a specific reason the locals love them?

Random enough question but just been on my mind lately.

*edit* - I should mention I've lived in a few places In Thailand and they hardly made an appearance. Chiang Mai had a few, but nothing like here. Is it just a big city thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by Thaiwi

you possibly see them a lot around Worachak - China Town - Sampeng Market area.

Motoporters love them as they offer a lot of space to carry things. Also they are easy to modify. Mostly they bore the engine so they can carry more goods faster.

Some of those guys drive crazy on those small tires!

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

Spot on II2. That's exactly where I'm seeing them. Seems to be a cult following. They are awesome little machines.

I just looked up the price and they fetch a fair penny! Vintage commands the higher price I guess. Anyone here ridden one themselves?

They seem to have a bit of get up and go.

They have a single seat and a floorboard so loads of room for goods and they are reliable and cheap to fix. Most small stuff delivered in Bangkok emanating from China town will be delivered on a Vespa.

The "classic" ones are not as expensive as the new ones!xohmy.png.pagespeed.ic.shABmucp9T.png

Postman uses a Honda/et al.

I see. Just a better option long term as a work horse. Can't find them easily, they seem to be few and far between.

I've been studying this site for a while now for a small toy. Scroll down the page a bit and check the restored beauties they have on offer. http://www.pudfunshop.com

Anything similar available for the Vespas?

Spot on II2. That's exactly where I'm seeing them. Seems to be a cult following. They are awesome little machines.

I just looked up the price and they fetch a fair penny! Vintage commands the higher price I guess. Anyone here ridden one themselves?

They seem to have a bit of get up and go.

Yes.

But they are disappearing slowly by slowly over the years. Same as Kawasaki gto s. Porters buy new bikes.

When I first came here there were lots around.

The smaller 125cc Vespas are only ~90-120K baht brand new.

Unless you just want a project to kill time and money; you be better off buying a new one and start modifying.
Keep in mind most Vespas have steel unibodies like a car so if you ding or wreck one, it will be very costly to fix.

They are pretty cool bikes, but like most things Italian; style comes at a price.

I bet some of the ones running around Chinatown are 40+ years old.

Besides being stylish and trendy like Mini Coopers, I'm guessing they are loved for their durability like Unimogs.

When I visited the Vespa dealer recently there were a few Thai guys drooling over them as if they were Ducatis.

There is a Vespa mechanic on Samakkee Road not too far from Nichada Thani. They have dozens of bikes in the shop, and most are hobbyists, not porters. Mainly young kids, they hang out with the mechanics most nights. When the new Vespa promotion started a couple of years back, the old bikes enjoyed a revival. The distinctive noise heard late into the night as they eventually finish their beers and head off home...

Sent - how is not that important...

Edited by DualSportBiker

I had a vespa 150 cc in the late 60s with all the trimming aerials, fox tails and multiple lights on the front and of course the uniform hush puppy shoes and the long scooter jacket, I had two major spills on mine resulting in a knee op last year 40 years + after the accident, those small tyres are deadly in the wet or snow, sold the bike after the last prang and the guy that bought it came off going around a round about and broke his arm and hip and wrote off the bike.

I have not been on a bike since.

Edited by pitchag

...Yes great little scooters for sure.....I love the pop-pop-pop sound of them as they travel around...distinctive sound the Vespas...you don't need to turn your head to look...you know it's a Vespa passing by the sound.

There was an interesting article on Vespa's a month or so back on another Bangkok website...with some amazing photographs of old/new V's and customised models as well.

Website name is Coconuts.com (I assume I can mention this without it being deleted).......tab in the search box "Vespa's"

One of the things he mentioned that sets the V's above the Jap scooters and makes them so popular with users (and he specifically mentioned shop/store owners in Chinatown)...was that the V's have a direct drive to the rear wheel...and as a result are able to carry bigger/heavier loads with almost zilch instability issues (versus the jap bikes which when "loaded up" on the rear carrier/seat with goods present a real handful for the driver and are readily inclined to "snake/wobble" along.

• Like 2

Most of the porter's Vespas you see now days are Bajaj, Indian made under license from

Piago in Italy, not many of the original Italian vespas left, and many of those have been fitted

with non genuine replacement parts,

I have been looking for a 1964 GS 160 MK II for ages now, and the one that I have seen are

not as gentians as I want them to be and the asking price is in 150,000 baht brackets,

Good one can be had but be carful of the imported Vietnamese Vespas, that are mostly

if not all are re produced in Vietnam from a pile of junks...

Most of the porter's Vespas you see now days are Bajaj, Indian made under license from

Piago in Italy, not many of the original Italian vespas left, and many of those have been fitted

with non genuine replacement parts,

I have been looking for a 1964 GS 160 MK II for ages now, and the one that I have seen are

not as gentians as I want them to be and the asking price is in 150,000 baht brackets,

Good one can be had but be carful of the imported Vietnamese Vespas, that are mostly

if not all are re produced in Vietnam from a pile of junks...

Initially under license but one way or another Bajaj managed to throw Piaggio out. Vespa has been part of my life. I got married to the distributors daughter in Chiangmai and at that time the biggest distributorship in Thailand with annual sales of 300 units, yes 300 units.

Later on I moved to the plant in Indonesia where we had a capacity of producing 70,000 a year. It was initially an assembly plant with local content like tires etc. and later the company invested in a huge component plant. At the time the Indonesian plant was the 2nd biggest outside Italy and biggest being Taiwan.

Vespa was very popular especially among the Indian textile traders around Worachakr Road when they distributing their textiles.

I saw a new one on display with the big 150 engine and I guess it was their top model------310,000 Baht. How are they better than a Scoopy or the other Asian Vespa clone whose name I can't think of?

Actually the top one is a 300cc, it is fast...for a scooter.

http://vespa.co.th/gts-super-sport/

I think this thread is trying to figure out why they might be better than an Asian scooter.

Sort of like why would any Italian be better than a Japanese equivalent?

I think it's just styling and prestige, not much value functionally over an Asian bike.

Edited by ttakata

I saw a new one on display with the big 150 engine and I guess it was their top model------310,000 Baht. How are they better than a Scoopy or the other Asian Vespa clone whose name I can't think of?

It's no better at all except as a show off.

If you want to spend lots of money in a Piaggio scooter look at SH150, already expensive at 95K or so, but at least has high wells and designed with no retro affliction.

Edited by paz

I own two of 'em smile.png

1979 P200e & a 2005 PX150

I really enjoy the 79 as it was the largest Vespa of it's day. Easily does 60 MPH and I love the "jug jug jug" sound on idle.

The best thing of ownership here is that it cost pennies to maintain.

There are lots of the old ones up here in Chiang Mai too... many shops near the river fix them and have them for sale... The college students like them as they are trendy and cheap to maintain... I would like one but my partner forbids as most spew out pollution...

Edited by sfokevin

The original question was why do people like them...answer they are "Italian" a word synonymous with style, so, the direct opposite of Japanese. Plus it is the original scooter, a very clever and simple design where the rear axle comes straight out of the gearbox.

There are a few people, even in Thailand, who want something special and these old Vespas are that and at not a lot of money.

I have seen a half dozen or so around Khon Kaen, some in mid-renovation condition.....me...I want an Alfa Romeo.

30-40 years ago Vespa's were widely used by the local Indian Sikh community involved in the cloth trade around the Sampheng area having the advantage of ease of riding for those with long Indian style clothes and handy for hauling rolls of cloth around on the rear rack which was lacking on other motorcycles in those day. I'm guessing the prices in those days weren't as relatively high compared to other motorcycles because Indian businessmen are known for their shrewdness. I would like to have one but I think the current importers are price gouging us just like Mini Coopers because they know they have evolved to cult status and are highly desirable and trendy. Like many trendy consumer products here, prices do not reflect value but rather desirability and covetousness..

you possibly see them a lot around Worachak - China Town - Sampeng Market area.

Motoporters love them as they offer a lot of space to carry things. Also they are easy to modify. Mostly they bore the engine so they can carry more goods faster.

Some of those guys drive crazy on those small tires!

I was "your' crazy about half a century ago.......whistling.gif ....................smile.png