tomato disease, what's this?

I feel like I am really getting into the advanced stuff now that I am trying to grow tomatoes. When I plant a row, there are generally one or two looking like the attached fotos. They get watered, fertiliser, and were sprayed against insects although this is still a problem. I looked through google results, no luck. I suspect that maybe this is a replant problem, I have no idea what my wife planted before I came on the scene?

I did mention in another thread that a tomato plant that appeared from nowhere in the flower garden is the best plant I've had up to now...

Thanks.

post-130198-0-66792700-1399515783_thumb.

post-130198-0-39580900-1399515804_thumb.

Looks a bit like a fungus problem, hard to tell with pic being so dark,... wink.png but those stems look black in places....? Also looks like a big bite taken out of the stem in first pic.... ?

If planted where toms with disease were grown before, that could be contributing to the problem .... .(pathogens in soil) .... usually a good idea to burn old tom plants. .... might be a good idea to remove and burn these, before it spreads... and don't touch the plants which are still looking OK and hope the rest don't get it ! wink.png

My guess it is wilt - There are a couple of different types and all soil bourne . There are some resistant varieties of tomatoes available but i am not too sure they are available in Thailand. Other than growing resistant varieties there is not a lot you can do after it is in the soil. It also is common with most other plants from the solanaceae family such as capiscums , potatoes , tobacco etc. so you cannot these plant in those soils again or plant tomatoes in soils that had other members of solanacae in them - crop rotation is the go.

• Like 1

Hi Cooked, that looks to me as a very serious Botrytis infection, if so pull them out and get them as far away from all your other plants as possible, a very common cause of this infection entering the plant is on the foliage where the plant has been damaged or where the laterals have been removed, it is important to spray any wounds with a fungicide .

Cheers

Scoop

• Like 1