First triple entry tourist visa plus extensions ended, can I get a double TV from Laos no problem?

Hello,

I'm a British citizen and my first triple entry tourist visa plus three extensions is about to end and I am looking to go to Vientiane or Savannakhet to get a double entry tourist visa;

1, Do you feel there will be any problems with this in-regards to getting a back-to-back tourist visa? This triple entry tourist visa is the only visa I have currently in my passport.

2, Do they count the triple entry visa as three separate tourists visa's or just one?

3, Has anybody been recently with one or more tourist visas and had a problem or has anybody been with a similar visa situation to myself?

4, At the moment, who appears to be the more 'lenient' or 'passive' of the two places mentioned above?

I realise everybody will have a different experience and that nobody can truly predict what will happen, but some guidance and information will be much obliged.

Thank you.

You will not have a problem getting a 2 entry tourist visa at either location.

They only count visas that they issued in their count of visas. Which in you case is only one and was not issued by them or anywhere nearby.

Wasn't there just an article about them cracking down on visas? the article mentioned being able to show where you are staying, having funds to pay for your stay etc?

If you want to be safe, then you may want to bring copies of hotel reservations, flight reservations, etc. to show that you are a tourist. (you could consider booking refundable reservations)

The experts are quick to give advice here. But if they haven't actually done a visa run themselves in the last month, their advice may be outdated. Their advice may have been correct three months ago (before the changes at the border and the consulates), but may not be good advice now (after the changes at the border and consulates).

good luck

Wasn't there just an article about them cracking down on visas? the article mentioned being able to show where you are staying, having funds to pay for your stay etc?

If you want to be safe, then you may want to bring copies of hotel reservations, flight reservations, etc. to show that you are a tourist. (you could consider booking refundable reservations)

The experts are quick to give advice here. But if they haven't actually done a visa run themselves in the last month, their advice may be outdated. Their advice may have been correct three months ago (before the changes at the border and the consulates), but may not be good advice now (after the changes at the border and consulates).

good luck

Th OP is going out to obtain a tourist visa at an embassy.

He is not doing a border run for a visa exempt entry (it is not a visa) which is what the article was about. Again confusion because of using the wrong terminology.

• Like 1

good luck

He is not doing a border run for a visa exempt entry (it is not a visa) which is what the article was about. Again confusion because of using the wrong terminology.

Getting the tourist visa at the consulate in Vientiane (don't go to the Embassy there), the officers taking the applications will review your passport and ask you the same kinds of questions. They are reviewing the activity in your passport, be it visa exempt stamps (from the airport or border) or tourist visas (the big stickers from the consulate). Either way, when you leave and want to come back in, they want to try to verify that you are a TOURIST.

Why do I say this? Because last month I flew into Vientiane to get a double entry tourist visa. When I got to the window to turn in my application, the officer very carefully reviewed my passport and started asking me questions about what I was planning to do in Thailand, why I wanted a double entry, etc.

I did not have multiple border entries in my passport. I had done a lot of traveling/flying over the last several months. From Bangkok, I flew to Saigon, the US, KL, and had one visa exempt stamp at Poi Phet. So the officer wasn't asking me because I had 2 or 3 visa exempt stamps at the Poi Phet border. I'm guessing he was asking because I had multiple entries into Thailand over the past several months - mostly through the airport, and because they have been instructed to "crack down" on foreigners abusing the Tourist visa or visa exemptions to stay in Thailand long term.

Thankfully I had plans to visit some other areas in Thailand, and had copies of my hotel reservations and of a flight out of Thailand in June. I explained that I wanted the double entry because I was hoping to arrange a trip to Angkor Wat with some Thai friends before I flew out again in June. I wanted the extra entry so that if I went to Angkor Wat, then I would already have the 2nd entry to come back into Thailand and wouldn't have to worry about another officer questioning my plans and having to prove it all over again.

He was very polite and friendly the whole time. And when I showed him my hotel and plane reservations, he very kindly offered to explain to me how the double entry worked (since it was my first time getting a double entry visa). After that - no problem.

Edited by Keoni

good luck

Getting the tourist visa at the consulate in Vientiane (don't go to the Embassy there), the officers taking the applications will review your passport and ask you the same kinds of questions. They are reviewing the activity in your passport, be it visa exempt stamps (from the airport or border) or tourist visas (the big stickers from the consulate). Either way, when you leave and want to come back in, they want to try to verify that you are a TOURIST.

Why do I say this? Because last month I flew into Vientiane to get a double entry tourist visa. When I got to the window to turn in my application, the officer very carefully reviewed my passport and started asking me questions about what I was planning to do in Thailand, why I wanted a double entry, etc.

I did not have multiple border entries in my passport. I had done a lot of traveling/flying over the last several months. From Bangkok, I flew to Saigon, the US, KL, and had one visa exempt stamp at Poi Phet. So the officer wasn't asking me because I had 2 or 3 visa exempt stamps at the Poi Phet border. I'm guessing he was asking because I had multiple entries into Thailand over the past several months - mostly through the airport, and because they have been instructed to "crack down" on foreigners abusing the Tourist visa or visa exemptions to stay in Thailand long term.

Thankfully I had plans to visit some other areas in Thailand, and had copies of my hotel reservations and of a flight out of Thailand in June. I explained that I wanted the double entry because I was hoping to arrange a trip to Angkor Wat with some Thai friends before I flew out again in June. I wanted the extra entry so that if I went to Angkor Wat, then I would already have the 2nd entry to come back into Thailand and wouldn't have to worry about another officer questioning my plans and having to prove it all over again.

He was very polite and friendly the whole time. And when I showed him my hotel and plane reservations, he very kindly offered to explain to me how the double entry worked (since it was my first time getting a double entry visa). After that - no problem.

Did he ask to see your hotel and flight reservations or did you volunteer them?

good luck

Thank you kindly for this Keoni. Can you explain the difference between the embassy and the consulate, as I thought the embassy to be the sole option??

good luck

Thank you kindly for this Keoni. Can you explain the difference between the embassy and the consulate, as I thought the embassy to be the sole option??

There are two different locations in Vientiane. If you tell the Tuktuk driver "Thai Visa" they know to take you to the Thai Consulate (not to the Thai Embassy). Most of the drivers have a price list of most popular destinations around Vientiane. And I think the price for the Thai Consulate was 50,000kip. I think you may be able to negotiate a bit. Especially for a round trip. They will wait for you then take you back to your hotel or wherever..

If you're doing it yourself, rather than paying someone else to do it for you, then I'd suggest arriving a bit early to queue up in front of the consulate. When they open people will walk into the courtyard and someone will come out from the wooden door next to the service windows to pass out queue numbers.

It's better to download your forms and have them completed before you get there. Other unprepared people will be scrambling to complete their forms before their number to queue is called. You should also copy your info page from your passport, and the page with your most recent exemption stamp. If you don't have this, they will send you back out of the queue to go upstairs to the copy machine to get it done.

They are also pretty unorganized about calling out the numbers for the queue. Often people who's numbers haven't been called would walk up to ask and they would be served even though their numbers hadn't been called yet.

But like I said previously, the man who helped me had several questions for me but he was very polite and friendly the whole time.

I think today's article about the "crackdown" would support the idea that things are no longer as easy as they used to be. If you want to reduce the chances that you'll get stuck somewhere, then it's probably in your best interest to have as much supporting info (e.g. hotel/flight reservations) as possible ready, in case they ask for it.

Good luck.

Edited by Keoni

Any more recent reports about stricter tourist visa rules in vientiane? I've been there 3 times since 2012 and got double entry each time without providing any airline tickets, financials or hotel reservations,, any reports about this changing since the crackdown?

Why not visit Thai immigration and simply ask them ?????

Because rules and regulations are enforced and interpreted differently in all the thai embassies around the world.. Going to thai immigration and asking them about what happens in vientiane is about as productive as asking for a receipt from the traffic police when they want to fine you on the spot for not wearing a helmet.

• Like 1

Why not visit Thai immigration and simply ask them ?????

Because rules and regulations are enforced and interpreted differently in all the thai embassies around the world.. Going to thai immigration and asking them about what happens in vientiane is about as productive as asking for a receipt from the traffic police when they want to fine you on the spot for not wearing a helmet.

Fresh reports from people going the embassy in question is the ONLY thing that can be relied upon.. and even then...

Any more recent reports about stricter tourist visa rules in vientiane? I've been there 3 times since 2012 and got double entry each time without providing any airline tickets, financials or hotel reservations,, any reports about this changing since the crackdown?

I went to Vientiane on April 9th, 2014. The officer taking the application (double entry tourist visa) was very nice, but he did ask several probing questions to try to determine if I was a tourist.

I had a non-b that expired in January 2014, and had flown in/out of BKK several times between January and April. I told him I was planning to travel to Phuket and Hua Hin and fly out of BKK in June. He asked where I would be staying, and asked to see my reservations when I told him. I gave him print outs of my hotel reservations in Hua Hin and Phuket, and told him I would be staying with friends in BKK. I also showed him a print out of my flight reservation out of BKK in June. I also included a copy of an email accepting a job in another country in June as well.

Upon reviewing my reservations and email, he was nice enough to explain to me how the double entry visa worked (since I had never had one before). Picked up the passport with the double entry tourist visa the next day.

Having traveled a lot over the past few months, I've noticed immigration/passport folks taking a lot more time, and asking a few more questions than they had in the past.

To be safe, I would be prepared with any supporting documents you can come up with to avoid any problems getting the tourist visa.

If you've got a lot of Thai in/out stamps in your passport, whether from land/border crossings, or from the airport, they are likely to more thoroughly check you out than maybe they had been in the past.

Also, the Consulate in Vientiane seems a little less organized than the first time I was there in Jan 2012. The electronic queue sign that shows the numbers being served seems to be out of order. And they no longer have the queue numbers available next to the service windows. Instead, one of the workers comes out from behind the wooden door next to the service windows every now and then to hand out numbers to those who need them. When they call the numbers, they'll call a string of numbers about ten at a time. But there is no electronic sign showing what numbers they are serving. This creates some confusion, since people may not have heard their number called, they often went to the window to ask, and end up jumping in and getting served out of order.

I can only say that this was MY recent experience. I hope you find this info useful.

Edited by Keoni

I went to Vientiane on April 9th, 2014. The officer taking the application (double entry tourist visa) was very nice, but he did ask several probing questions to try to determine if I was a tourist.

I had a non-b that expired in January 2014, and had flown in/out of BKK several times between January and April. I told him I was planning to travel to Phuket and Hua Hin and fly out of BKK in June. He asked where I would be staying, and asked to see my reservations when I told him. I gave him print outs of my hotel reservations in Hua Hin and Phuket, and told him I would be staying with friends in BKK. I also showed him a print out of my flight reservation out of BKK in June. I also included a copy of an email accepting a job in another country in June as well.

Upon reviewing my reservations and email, he was nice enough to explain to me how the double entry visa worked (since I had never had one before). Picked up the passport with the double entry tourist visa the next day.

Having traveled a lot over the past few months, I've noticed immigration/passport folks taking a lot more time, and asking a few more questions than they had in the past.

To be safe, I would be prepared with any supporting documents you can come up with to avoid any problems getting the tourist visa.

If you've got a lot of Thai in/out stamps in your passport, whether from land/border crossings, or from the airport, they are likely to more thoroughly check you out than maybe they had been in the past.

Also, the Consulate in Vientiane seems a little less organized than the first time I was there in Jan 2012. The electronic queue sign that shows the numbers being served seems to be out of order. And they no longer have the queue numbers available next to the service windows. Instead, one of the workers comes out from behind the wooden door next to the service windows every now and then to hand out numbers to those who need them. When they call the numbers, they'll call a string of numbers about ten at a time. But there is no electronic sign showing what numbers they are serving. This creates some confusion, since people may not have heard their number called, they often went to the window to ask, and end up jumping in and getting served out of order.

I can only say that this was MY recent experience. I hope you find this info useful.

Thanks Keoni, I wonder if you got asked alot of questions due to your situation specifically or if they have started asking more in general.

The only supporting document that I will have is a travel insurance proof for 1 year, from december 2013 to december 2014,, it's in swedish :) .. we'll see how that goes..

Thanks Keoni, I wonder if you got asked alot of questions due to your situation specifically or if they have started asking more in general.

The only supporting document that I will have is a travel insurance proof for 1 year, from december 2013 to december 2014,, it's in swedish smile.png .. we'll see how that goes..

Oh and the travel insurance says "backpacker" on it ,, made for backpackers :)

And i'm now equipped with screenshot from my swedish internet bank account.. Showing funds coming in from my mom (she sends me small amounts each week) and showing available balance.

This is actually an improvement,, they did not know how to use the sign anyway,, they would hit ten numbers at a time on that sign and then serve any number at all,,, made my blood boil.. atleast now it sounds like there's no suggestion of pretend organization,, pure chaos is better than "oh look we have a system but we dont know how to use it" .. atleast it's not deceptive :)

tldr: business as usual regarding tourist visas in vientiane.

Just came back from vientiane. I got a double entry tourist visa. (i had the same previously,, so it was back-2-back double-entry tourist visa).

No problems in vientiane, business as usual, was not asked to provide financials, tickets, etc...

The only thing different was the amount of people,, but could be due to holiday may 13.. Anyway, everybody got served and i saw noone get refused or hassled in the embassy or when going through the border back to thailand.

Because of the amount of people in the embassy, stuff got a bit delayed, usually the stop taking applications 11:30 ,, but now they took applicaitons to around 1pm.. As long as you got a queue number before 11:30.. Some people said this was due to the holiday may 13th..

Getting passports back the day after usually starts at 1:30pm,, but now it was delayed to around 2pm because they were still taking payments from applicants.