Good food in Pattaya

tuky

I have yet to find an Indian in Pattaya comparible to the UK. Most seem to be the same as in India itself, that is suited to Indian tastes, not adapted to Brit tastes like in the UK.

All the mutton and chicken curries seem to be laced with splinters of bone that just wait to stab you in the gums.

Also have never seen bombay duck, which I used to love sprinkled into a good meat madras with pillau rice.

There is a new place on Second Road, opposite Pattayaland 1. Called the Munch Shack. Supposed to be trying to produce Indian food to British taste.

I was there a week ago, four other customers (I think Australians) refused to pay for some items. Service was lousy, but that was because two staff hadn't showed. (Start of official Song Kran and the Brit owner had been away the previous week). So I was a little bit annoyed myself. But my chicken mughlai was what I expected. And some of the other dishes looked OK.

Only other customers while I was there were an Indian couple.

I will probably try it again, but not for a few weeks, let the guy get himself sorted out.

Have eaten a couple of times recently in Kilkenny, in Walking Street. Up there with Pig & Whistle and Rosie O'Gradies, better than Queen Vic. Similar menu, but shorter than P&W.

My only complaint in both Kilkenny and P&W is the number of smokers around me while I eat. I thought there were laws against smoking in restaurants, now? At least in air-conditioned places. Davethailand - please clarify?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also have never seen bombay duck, which I used to love sprinkled into a good meat madras with pillau rice.

:D:D:D

Bombay Duck

http://dict.die.net/bummalo/

Bummalo \Bum"ma*lo\, n. [Native name.] (Zo["o]l.)

A small marine Asiatic fish (Saurus ophidon) used in India

as a relish; -- called also Bombay duck.

Maybe you should look into the sea in Pattaya for your Bombay Duck. :D

Meat Madars…. Ehh ……… mixing Fish with Meat ……… each to its own…. Me think…

Just having some food fun.

:o

Kan Win

Couple more places I have tried recently:

Rosie O'Grady's in Soi 7 - Eaten hear a couple of times and never been dissapointed. Roast Beef is excellent (better I think than Greg's Kitchen), Fish and chips was very good using imported Norwegian cod.

Eden Hotel on Soi 17 between South Pattaya and Thepparsit Road does an excellent Sunday cravery. for 250 baht you get roast lamb, beef, Pork, Ham, roasted and mashed potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots and real bisto gravy. I went there last weekend and the place is very busy. Starts at 3.00pm and by 4.00pm there was hardly anything left. Eat as much as you like (and many eat a lot..)

French place on Walking street (left hand side) towards the Bayhsore resort and past Tony's disco. Also houses the French consulate. I had excellent fish pate, followed by Pork fillet medalions in mustard sauce and a chocolate mouse to die for. Total price on the fixed price menu was 240 baht. Girlfreind had a Thai salad which was delicious and rib eye steak also on the fixed price menu for 240 baht. Very good bread and overall very nice food for the price.

Pic Kitchen fast food on Soi 4 by second road nr to Atlantic Bar. had to wait for GF who was in Pattaya Int Hospital so I elected for a bite to eat. Very simple western and thai menu - fast service and very good. MMostly sandwiches etc but their potato sald was very good.

i think thats still the case, but p & w and kilkennys will probably be licensed as pubs,then after they get a license to serve food, in which case you can smoke.

i'm not sure though

So all the fuss a year back, when the rules came out about no smoking, was unnecessary? If your a pub that serves grub - OK to smoke. If your a restaurant with a bar, no smoking. Simple - TiT :o

Mc Donalds?

no one has mentioned them.

:D

Well now that you mention it ? :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...20/ixworld.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please read below:- R.I.P.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

McDonald's chief executive dies of heart attack at 60

By David Derbyshire

(Filed: 20/04/2004)

The chief executive of McDonald's, the world's largest fast-food chain, died yesterday from a suspected heart attack.

Jim Cantalupo, 60, was taken ill during a meeting of franchise owners in Orlando, Florida, the company said.

McDonald's CEO Jim Cantalupo

His death is a major blow to McDonald's. It comes at a time when the chain is trying to shed its image as a purveyor of high-fat, high-salt and high-sugar food.

During his 16 months at the helm, Mr Cantalupo turned the company's fortunes around. As well as slowing down the company's breakneck expansion programme and closing hundreds of under-performing outlets, he tried to address criticisms that McDonald's was contributing to the obesity epidemic in America and Europe.

When Mr Cantalupo took over as chairman and chief executive in January 2003 after a management shake-up, McDonald's was in the doldrums.

Changing tastes, the mad cow disease scare and the perception that its menu of burgers, chicken, fish and fries was tired had hit sales - particularly in Europe and Asia. In December 2002, McDonald's went into the red for the first time in its 48-year history.

Mr Cantalupo, a former vice-chairman and president, who had retired a year earlier after 28 years in the company, was brought back as the new boss.

After a massive restructuring, the company posted its highest sales gain in 30 years in the United States in February.

The changes to the menu were partly a marketing tactic, but also came in response to the threat of legal action from obese Americans and health campaigners.

A Big Tasty burger, they said, had 804 calories and nearly 6g of salt. When combined with a large cola, large french fries and ice cream, the calorie intake tops 1,760. The Department of Health recommended daily calorie intake is around 2,500 for a man and 2,000 for a woman.

Under Mr Cantalupo, the chain introduced salads, grilled chicken and fresh fruit. Last week, it launched an anti-obesity campaign with a new Adult Happy Meal containing salad, bottled water and a pedometer.

However, food campaigners say the chain has not gone far enough. Even the new healthier options are high in calories. The crispy chicken Caesar salad served with dressing and croutons has 530 calories - compared with 493 in a Big Mac burger.

Following the announcement of Mr Cantalupo's death, McDonald's shares fell by 2.9 per cent to $26.66 on Wall Street. :D

Charlie Bell, the company's president and chief operating officer, takes over from Mr Cantalupo.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and one more just for you tukyleith:-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/04/...2395826255.html

New CEO for McDonald's

April 20, 2004

McDonald's yesterday named Australian-born Charlie Bell to take over as president and chief executive officer of the fast-food giant following the death of CEO Jim Cantalupo earlier in the day.

The board also announced that Andrew McKenna, the board's presiding director, had been elected non-executive chairman.

The moves came after Mr Cantalupo died suddenly of an apparent heart attack. He was 60.

Mr Cantalupo helped engineer a turnaround of the fast-food chain by focusing on better food and service during 16 months at the helm.

The company moved quickly to name his successors.

Mr Bell, 43, a native of Australia and McDonald's president and chief operating officer, was elected CEO. He will keep the president's title.

Mr McKenna, 74, the board's presiding director, was named chairman.

Mr McKenna said Mr Cantalupo was stricken in Orlando, Florida, where McDonald's was holding its international owner and operator convention.

"Jim was a brilliant man who brought tremendous leadership, energy and passion to his job. He made an indelible mark on McDonald's system," Mr McKenna said.

Mr Cantalupo emerged from retirement to be named chairman and CEO in January 2003 after a major management shake-up. He had worked for McDonald's for 28 years.

Under him, the company - which had reported its first-ever quarterly loss for the last three months of 2002 - worked to revitalise its brand.

"We can never replace Jim's brilliance or leadership, but we will honour him by continuing his passion for McDonald's," the board said in a statement.

"Charlie Bell has worked side by side with Jim during these past 16 months to revitalise McDonald's all over the world. He is ideally suited and prepared to continue Jim's remarkable focus and discipline on our business."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now you know tukyleith, Kwai nobody mentioned them. :o

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

R.I.P

Today I'm going to back-track on earlier remarks.

Went in Pig & Whistle last night to watch Arsenal thrash Tottenham and clinch the Premiership. Ordered Fish 'n Chips and a draught whatever. (Missing my Carsabug :o ).

Had to wait ages - people coming in later were served and gone, I'm still waiting. Without prompting one of the waitresses came over and apologised, said she'd chase it up. Eventually te FnC arrived, but too much oil in the batter (cooked at too low a temperature?) and the oil tasted 'well-used'.

Today I've got a dose of the squitters.

Don't know if these events are connected, but the kitchen was not up to it's usual standards.

• 1 month later...

Withdrawing another recommendation :o

Kilkenny charged me 359 baht for a plate of fish and chips last Sunday. Could go round twice for that in Pig & Whistle.

And the fish was two small pieces which together wouldn't be half a P&W portion. I suppose that's some sort of Irish balance - charge twice as much for half the amount.

Remember - next St Paddy's Day they will be serving two portions for the price of three - special discount :D

MY TWOPENETH, if you want a good meal as mentioned Mata hari 2nd rd between soi 7 and 8, also the aloa on 2nd rd across from shenanigans, also very good the casa pascal next to the ruen thai which i agree is awful. rosie ogradies irish stew 180 baht is real good, dont rate gregs kitchen too much.

I ate at faties the other day it used to be on beech rd near soi 10 its now just up form the big c between sois 1 an 2, it was awful they even brought me out moldy bread, and when the waitress came out she just said do you want to change it, I almost hit the roof but I just thought TIT.n and real expensive,

a real good place I frequent quite a lot now is in jomtiem soi 9, theres only two bars one english with a old speckled hen sign outside. the others called drinks a dare n licks,

the guys who own it r yanks, anyways on monday and friday they do an excelent barbacued steak potato and sweetcorn for 100 baht on wednesday it a barbied pork chop beans and mash real good honest dont let the price fool ya.

Im looking for a small french resteraunt off 2nd rd my mate tells me its real good but I cant seem to find it. :o

jomtien complex, the shop houses just before you turn right at hanuman for the beach has 2 good french restaurants, 1 great mexican and a couple of pretty good indians, still i had breakfast at the rising sun, soi yamato, this morning and that was pretty good and english teabags.

I will second Kurgen's response on the Sportsman. I was hankering for some western food and had the best Irish stew I have eaten in the last 20 years. For breakfast, just down the road a bit on Soi 13, The Haven makes a great steak and eggs for about 250b.

ALKHEMY ,as mentioned earlier,ceased trading 1st June,still advertised on sophon though.

A crying shame, Alkhemy was an excellent restaurant, shame it can't be re-opened in a better location.

it would definately knock the spots of the majority of other restaurants. :o

The best & cheapest English style food in Pattaya-Seaside 2 restaurant on Soi Chyaphun-Forget all about Rosie O'Gradys, Pig & Whistle etc; these are for the tourists. Fish & Chips at Seaside 95 baht, two good sized pieces of fish, home made freshly cut chips, peas & side salad, Roast dinners, Beef stew at 70 baht served with a side plate of roast spuds, just too much to eat & loaded with Beef. This place is Thai owned operated; the owner having spent several years working in the catering trade in the UK. He delivers the best at an amazingly low price. Two areas, an air con area & a fan area for smokers. Not forgetting his 'Full House' brekkie at 65 baht....Truly amazing value, with a great ex pat following. Same soi as Crazy Daves, who also does a good brekkie.

You cannot beat either the Lek or the Apex hotels their buffet brekkies now priced at 95 baht-eat all you want & theres a great selection. Each place also does an excellent dinner buffet from 6pm 165 baht, which is teriffic value when you see what is on offer. I personally prefer the Lek, however, both hotels are operated by the same owners & recently the standard & choice of their buffets, especially dinner has vastly improved. Give it a try.

Clicker

I used to go to seaside 2 at least once a week for the fishnchips which i must say used to be good but the last 2 times the chips have bin raw obviously fat was to hot so Ive given it a miss for a few weeks, the food at soi 9 jomtiem is stll real good value though. :o

Desserts Special

75. GULAB JAMUN - A household sweet dish, 'Simply out of this World'

76. KULFI - Indian ice cream

77. ICE CREAM - Assorted choices of Italian ice cream

Website Design for and on behalf of AliBaba Restaurant by Odyssey International

You FORGOT to mention at the end of your menu that 7% SALES TAX will be ilegally (imo) added.

THis fact is also FORGOTTEN on the menu at the mention restaurant.

Good reason NOT to visit (imo)

CT

On Second Road near to Walking Street, you will find THE MUNCH SHACK.

Look for the big yellow fascia.

It's under new English Management, but also does Thai and excellent Indian food.

I ate there almost every day for two weeks and never had a bad meal.

The rooms upstairs have just been refurbished, and they are not expensive.

Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...
Today I'm going to back-track on earlier remarks.

Went in Pig & Whistle last night to watch Arsenal thrash Tottenham and clinch the Premiership. Ordered Fish 'n Chips and a draught whatever. (Missing my Carsabug  :o  ).

Had to wait ages - people coming in later were served and gone, I'm still waiting. Without prompting one of the waitresses came over and apologised, said she'd chase it up. Eventually te FnC arrived, but too much oil in the batter (cooked at too low a temperature?) and the oil tasted 'well-used'.

Today I've got a dose of the squitters.

Don't know if these events are connected, but the kitchen was not up to it's usual standards.

:D

Perhaps the kitchen staff were all “Spurs” fans… LOL… :D and tried to get one back on you… :D

Sorry about your tummy. :D

its called kazan curries, go into suksabai villas from the harley bar entrance and its a house on the left hand side about 150 meters.

the number on the menu is 019820936

Great suggestion Dave, I will give this place a try after popping into the Harley for a short time lass. (which incidentally has about 5 great new girls all of whom look alike, could almost be sisters :o )

Thanks for the tip.

I used to go to seaside 2 at least once a week for the fishnchips which i must say used to be good but the last 2 times the chips have bin raw obviously fat was to hot so Ive given it a miss for a few weeks, the food at soi 9 jomtiem is stll real good value though. :o

Tried Seaside 2 twice last weekend. First time fish n chips, second was bangers n mash. Atmosphere distinctly absent.

I think the fish must have been microwaved - the batter was rubbery and no trace of oil. Fish inside was OK, as was the 95 baht price (plus 50 for a large Chang). Your comment re chips is not quite right - chips should be cooked slowly in medium temp. oil 'til slightly softish, then immersed in very hot oil for a few seconds to crisp up the outside.

B+M was OK, no lumps in the mash, but the dogs were local thingy's and not proper bangers. Onions were semi-raw, whereas they should be cooked down to incorporate in the gravy.

But value for money - very good.