• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus after a review like that you say Value for money , was it free? :o

Seaside 2 - Fish and Chips 95 baht Large Chang 50 baht

Pig & Whistle - Fish and chips 195 baht Draught Chang 95 baht

Kilkenny - Fish and chips 359 baht Draught Chang 99 baht

Not quite comparing like-with-like, atmosphere best in P&W, but considering that Seaside appears to have no Angrit involvement they are doing a fair job with providing eatable grub at a good price.

I could do much better back in Blighty, using fresh fish, fresh batter; but all three establishments appear to use frozen, pre-battered cod fillets and the end product is not double or triple the quality in the farang-run establishments.

And anyway, the wife has just used all my spare cash to build a house in Chaiyaphum - so I've got to eat rice-and- or go for a cheap-end Angrit meal. As I eat at a construction-site mess-hall all week, I do like a change on the occasional weekend.

up2u you didnt read my post properly mate, I know how to cook chips was born and bred in blighty, point I was making is they cooked the chips in to hot oil so they turned out cooked outside but raw in the middle. last time me and my Mrs were there i got her to ask where they got the fish fillets from as I wanted some, but apparently they use fresh fish and make their own batter a mix of cornflour and wheatflour. anyways I avnt bin there for well over a month now.

up2u if you like fishnchips try the Baywatch cafe on beech road its on the left just past soi post office, fishnchips 180 baht with a salad you ave to ask for extra chips though as you only get about 1/2 a dozen usually, but no prob as they always give you extra if you ask.

only go to soi 9 jomtiem now as the steak and pork is the best value for money Ive found in Pattaya and jomtiem.

P.S. still looking for this good french restraunt off second rd,

its nice to splash out occasionly and not be a cheap charlie. :o

Casa Pascalls have a good deal on at the moment. Quality food, good service, nice restaruant 595 Baht + drink as much as you can of the house red and white wines.

Aikido, you are on about Chez Georges. Its on 3rd Road near to Pattaya Tai on the right going away from Pattaya Tai traffic lights. Close to Lux Visa Run offices if you know where they are?

cheers for that wcr my mate told me it was on 2nd rd. ave you tried it ? is it good mate tells me its only a small place 4 tables but very good. its also close to pats pies and deli then but the other side of the rd ?

Best Ribs in Pattaya: Cafe New Orleans - Pattayaland 2

Best Carvery: Shenanigans on Pattaya 2nd Rd

Best Outside Rest: Captains Corner (FREE pick up/drop at your hotel)

Best Breakfasts: Lek Hotel, Soi 13/Pattaya 2nd Rd

Apex Hotel, Pattaya 2nd Rd

Pig & Whistle, Soi 8

Rosy O'Gradys, Soi 8

Rising Sun, Soi Yamato

Best Mexican Food: Tequila Reef, Soi 7

Best Thai Food: P.I.C. Kitchen, Soi 5

Cafe New Orleans, Pattayaland 2

Any/all food stalls

Best Jazz Pit: P.I.C. Kitchen, Soi 5

Best Sandwiches: Viking Beachcomer (Submarine/Hoagies) Pattayaland 2

Best Veal: B.J.'s Restaurant - Beach Rd. (call ahead 1 day for Veal

Best Pork Tenderloin Hard Rock Cafe, Beach Rd.

Sandwich

Ken Bower

PhD in Pigging Out

Visiting Pattaya since 1971

Best Ribs in Pattaya: Cafe New Orleans - Pattayaland 2

Best Carvery: Shenanigans on Pattaya 2nd Rd

Best Outside Rest: Captains Corner (FREE pick up/drop at your hotel)

Best Breakfasts: Lek Hotel, Soi 13/Pattaya 2nd Rd

Apex Hotel, Pattaya 2nd Rd

Pig & Whistle, Soi 8

Rosy O'Gradys, Soi 8

Rising Sun, Soi Yamato

Best Mexican Food: Tequila Reef, Soi 7

Best Thai Food: P.I.C. Kitchen, Soi 5

Cafe New Orleans, Pattayaland 2

Any/all food stalls

Best Jazz Pit: P.I.C. Kitchen, Soi 5

Best Sandwiches: Viking Beachcomer (Submarine/Hoagies) Pattayaland 2

Best Veal: B.J.'s Restaurant - Beach Rd. (call ahead 1 day for Veal

Best Pork Tenderloin Hard Rock Cafe, Beach Rd.

Sandwich

Ken Bower

PhD in Pigging Out

the list for tourists :D

lived here for 3 years , what about the real food establishments :o

I added ALL Food Stalls to my list. As I AM an expat (35 trips to Pattaya in all since 1971), I post the restaurants I like. See I am much like you. I say what I like, and bloody well like what I say.

90% plus of those I socialize with ARE expats. My offerings were directed to them.

Ken Bower

http://homepage.mac.com/mgnewman/Kenlat/

I say what I like, and bloody well like what I say.

90% plus of those I socialize with ARE expats. My offerings were directed to them.

You tell him, Ken. As you probably already know, Thailand has an odd way of spawning these smug, self-righteous experts who not only know everything about the country but snarl that all the rest of us are just stupid tourists who know absolutely nothing. In my experience, most of those folks have such pathetic lives of their own that they have little else to cling on to other than telling the rest of us what jerks we are.

And for what it's worth, while I'd quibble here and there, I'd say your list was pretty sensible.

I think you have got your knickers in a twist about nothing oldasiahand, one of the reasons i'm able to live here is because of tourists so i am thankful to them.

As far as i am aware i've never been a smug self righteous person.

I've ate in a few of those places and i even use door 2 door, and guess what, i actually eat farang food occasionally :o, most of the restaurants mentioned are good, my comment meant i've been here for 3 years (which is'nt that long) and during that time i've found a few places which are excellent and non touristy (as in inflated prices, and with thai food, very traditonal and not toned down to suit farangs) nothing insulting or abusive was meant.

:D

Kenandlat......dont think Dave meant anything by the comment 'the tourist list" most his posts seem balanced.......unlike some! Asiaoldhand keep taking the tablets :o . Off topic Ken just tried your homepage couldnt access it for some reason.....any ideas why?

Following on from my earlier post and in response to the sexy CTG's :o post i'd love to see more of thailand, living in pattaya's feels like living back in sunny Hornchurch :D (Same old thing everyday) thats one of the reasons i'm going back to the UK for 3 weeks next week, for a breath of fresh air, :D

Hopefully either before the season picks up i'll take the wife to CM for a week then i'm riding to malaysia for the moto gp :D

KenBower:

Look on page two (2) of this thread and you will find directions to a very good restaurant. I have eaten many meals there and have only had one that was not very well prepared. The hamburger. Well, it was well prepared, it just didn't suit my fancy.

The food is excellent at this restaurant. I retire in late August and, if you call me on your next visit, I will take you to dinner. I will e-mail you my number.

Edit: Anybody else can eat there if they wish. It isn't a private restaurant.

KenBower:

Look on page two (2) of this thread and you will find directions to a very good restaurant. I have eaten many meals there and have only had one that was not very well prepared. The hamburger. Well, it was well prepared, it just didn't suit my fancy.

The food is excellent at this restaurant. I retire in late August and, if you call me on your next visit, I will take you to dinner. I will e-mail you my number.

Edit: Anybody else can eat there if they wish. It isn't a private restaurant.

I'll come as well if your paying, :D

anyone else want to join? Chuckd's treat :o

Sure, Dave, that sounds great. Give me a call.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, you don't know my number? Well, it's in the telephone book.

Oh, you don't know my name? It's in the book also. :o

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know, it's a trite old joke but it seems appropriate for the moment. All kidding aside, the food here is really quite good and is reasonably priced. Both farang and Thai menus are very well done.

I'll look you up when I get back in August/September and will spring for one meal.

its called kazan curries, go into suksabai villas from the harley bar entrance and its a house on the left hand side about 150 meters.

the number on the menu is 019820936

Where is the harley bar?

soi 17 off of 3rd rd, or on threppasit rd from thrapaya rd, turn left at 7/11 just before KR go kart track. :o

PATS PIES & DELI

Hey,

ANnyone know what happened to Pats pies? Is it still there in Pattaya or have they maybe closed and gone in to retirement?? :D They used to be the best pies in pattaya, only thing wrong with it was I couldn't understand the accent!!!! :o

Thanks

Falcon

OK, thanks. I thought that she had gone out of business as she used to get a lot of good recomendations all over the place but no one on this topic had said anything about the food there at all. Maybe the old place isn't the same quality now as before??

Anyway, thanks again,

Although there are a couple of tables at Pat's Pies on Third road, it is more of a take-away place.

I thought there was a 'main' branch in North Pattaya, somewhere around soi 2.

The original location, corner of Soi Buakhao and Soi Chaiyaphum has now been sold and is being kitted out for some retail outlet now.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - the old Pat's Pies is now a pharmacist and travel agent. The main place is on Soi 2, with an outlet (as stated before) on Third road (Saai Saam) near to Pattaya Tai (Wat Chai).

Tried 'Fatties' over the weekend - between Soi's 2 and 3 on Second Road.

Had the 'Oympic Breakfast' which was similar to Crazy Dave's, but with hash browns instead of black pudding. (Could do with both, actually). Cost more than CD's, 125 against 100 baht - and the tea was 40 baht extra, instead of being included. So back to CD's - except that Clasroom 2 is just around the corner from Fatties. :o

Munch Shack looks much better than it did shortly after opening, but i have not been back.

The place almost on the corner of Second Road and Pattaya Tai, was recently Tchaikovski's, is being rebuilt. This is the most unpropitious siting for a restaurant that I know - five different owners in 2 1/2 years. Hope no one from this board is involved.

• 2 weeks later...
Munch Shack looks much better than it did shortly after opening, but i have not been back.

The place almost on the corner of Second Road and Pattaya Tai, was recently Tchaikovski's, is being rebuilt. This is the most unpropitious siting for a restaurant that I know - five different owners in 2 1/2 years. Hope no one from this board is involved.

Further updates -

Went in Munch Shack last night - menu changed to basic farang food, from the Indian specialities. Still lassi offered in the beverages section, which is good, but the curries appear to be a thing of the past.

Service better, food acceptable, prices acceptable (150 for apork chop and trimmings). A dozen people in there while I ate. Didn't hear any complaints.

Tchaikovski's seems to have changed function - after all the failed restaurants and bars, it now seems destined to metamorphose into a normal retail outfit.

God this thread is making me hungry. Sitting here at work in samutprakan thinking about tak'n a quick spin for some fish n chips.

I love cordon blue and theres a german bier stube place just about accross the street from Woodlands Resort that makes a great one. huge portion, with some stir fried potatoes, and salad --185 baht. Its the place thats marble walled.

Noone here has really mentioned pizza. Whats the best pizza in pattaya??