Which Immigration line wih mixed Thai/US family

Hola

My wife, our 3yr old twins and I are traveling to Thailand next Wedneday.

We have 9 passports: 4 Thai [wife and kids - plus one expired but with valid US visa], 3 USA [ me and the kids] and 2 Mexican [the kids] - a lot luggage.

Can we all go through Thai only line at immigration line on entering and same on leaving (when I'll need to pay for a 5 day overstay)?

I hope so as it should save a lot of time - thanks for any insight/experience you can offer.

Suggest first thing is you extend the expired Thai passport (they can be extended as well as renewed).

In my experience, you will need to use both lines. When I travel with wife and kids, the wife and kids go to the Thai line and I go through the foreigner one. However I have found on entering Thailand with young kids they often take small family groups through the same point (had this happen to us twice when the kids were young - once they used the security office instead of the desks - which was fast as we all got done together in one go and no queuing at all).

I tried once with my wife and it didn't work. I was able to go through with my Mom in her wheelchair. I've heard it's open to older folk also. I can't imagine them kicking you out if you've got your kids with you. But, TiT! LOL

Worst case, you'll have to go just a few meters to get into another, longer, line. When you land, don't forget there are 2 immigration areas. Sometimes the first one is jammed and the second one can be fairly quiet.

Suggest first thing is you extend the expired Thai passport (they can be extended as well as renewed).

In my experience, you will need to use both lines. When I travel with wife and kids, the wife and kids go to the Thai line and I go through the foreigner one. However I have found on entering Thailand with young kids they often take small family groups through the same point (had this happen to us twice when the kids were young - once they used the security office instead of the desks - which was fast as we all got done together in one go and no queuing at all).

No. You can take whatever line is shortest, immigration is fine with it, I and thousands of others have done it for many years, and you would have to get the worst immigration officer in history to have any problem. And as you say, a large family might even be pulled aside for fastest possible help, that happens too.

The shortest line will usually be the "Thai passports" one but occasionally it won't.

The problem is that most of the Thai lines are now automatic, just swipe the passport, and they only work for Thai passports. Thai passport holders can zip through without much of a queue, most of the time.

But that note aside, the advice is the same. If it is a group where some have Thai passports, and one or more Thais are NOT going to use the auto-scan line, just find the shortest line and go to it. It doesn't matter if it's a Thai queue or an "others" one.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info - I'll give it a try. Our twins are still under 4yrs old and we'll be pushing a double stroller if they can't walk at midnight after a 30 elapsed hour trip from Mexico.

I think on Exit from country it is also worth a try. In 2009 family -all Thai- got through reasonably quick while I was stuck in a Work-to-Rule Foreigner line forever - by the time I got through our flight to RGN had gone and I was out about US$1200

Thanks for the info - I'll give it a try. Our twins are still under 4yrs old and we'll be pushing a double stroller if they can't walk at midnight after a 30 elapsed hour trip from Mexico.

I think on Exit from country it is also worth a try. In 2009 family -all Thai- got through reasonably quick while I was stuck in a Work-to-Rule Foreigner line forever - by the time I got through our flight to RGN had gone and I was out about US$1200

I doubt you will be pushing a stroller as you will need to clear immigration before you can pick it up. Assuming it is the normal size which they will make you check and normally count it as an additional bag ymmv.

I doubt you will be pushing a stroller as you will need to clear immigration before you can pick it up. Assuming it is the normal size which they will make you check and normally count it as an additional bag ymmv.

Really? In our experience over the past 3 years we have been able to check it/them on the boarding bridge?

Actually we have two single strollers with some clips that bind them together

Really? In our experience over the past 3 years we have been able to check it/them on the boarding bridge?

Actually we have two single strollers with some clips that bind them together

I can only speak for a double in the usa to thailand and it is checked before the gate and collected after immigration in baggage claim. I can not think of a time where strollers are hauled up to the jetway on a international arrival but like i said YMMV

I've always understood there is an internationally agreed protocol that families are not forced to split up when passing through any Customs/Immigration checkpoint, so "mixed passport" families should be allowed to pass through any relevant checkpoint together..........................however, as others have noted, T.I.T. so all bets may be off..............

• Like 1

When My wife and I enter Thailand we have never had a problem going through the Thai passport entry. She is Thai, I am English. My wife always goes first and when it is her turn she politely asks if it is OK for me to come though as well; we have never been refused yet.

whistling.gif I'm afraid you are stuck with the foreigners line most likely.

As for your young twins it all depends on the immigration supervisor who is overseeing the queues.

Thais do have a soft spot for "cute looking farang kids", but it's just a tossup if that will work for you or not.

Because your children are minors and therefore not responsible for their own immigration formalities I STRONGLY advise your Thai wife and family with Thai passports to play the "I am Thai and these are my children card who I am responsible for" card as much as possible.

It may work and it may not work, but it is worth a try using it.

If your children actually have Thai passports go straight to the Thai passport line just like you owned it with them.

They may let you through also just because of your wife and children.

Be bold, and you may just bluff your way through because of your boldness.

Give it a try anyhow.

thai wife , 2 kids with thai passports., i am french

always go to the shortest queue , most of the time to the thai side , sometimes we even got called over the thai side by the assistants.

i just always make sure when on the thai side to put the tai passport first on the pile . thai uber all.

back in uk .

been told we can go either eu / non eu side and not to split the family

I have exited a few times in.Thai line with wife, even when she was gf. On entry, guess lucky and no lines but only once was hassled. I was sort of pissed because he was sitting with literally nothing to do. He could have just stamped me in and been done with it.

He asked for some proof of our marriage drspite wife having ten year us visa. I mean as if I am going to lie to an Immigration officer to jump a queue eh? What are these guys thinking?!

Well, I pulled a photocopy of the marriage cert out of my ass and he stated.I.should present this snd I could come thru the queue.

When we travel to us even her as gf, just flash the pp and they direct you to us queue every time.

Thailand..never give the white guy a break

Just curious...how long you lived in Mexico...how is living there...in your experiences...?

Since '96 Came for two weeks and I'm still here - in the city of Guanajuato in central Mexico. Stayed initially as internet became available allowing me to still work in US. We are selling our vacation rental business and when we do we'll move to Khon Kaen. Not that we really want to but its just a practicality. Living here is quite pleasant especially on the Immigration front. Last year Residente Permenante was introduced so the annual visit to get documents renewed is done for good - also it allowed work, access to health benefits and almost everything other than voting or getting drafted into the army. If you'd like to know more PM or email me. May take a few days to respond as we leave Tuesday and won't arrive in BKK until midnight 15/16th

When I travel into Suvarnabhumi with the wife and kids we ALWAYS use the Thai side. Never been refused and never been questioned. Thailand appreciates families in most cases. I've even seen foreign families politely directed to the Thai side when the queues are large.

Hats off to immigration on this ?