Prayuth ready to act only as last resort

Lite Beer

Prayuth ready to act only as last resort

BANGKOK: Army chief Prayuth Chan-ocha has said the military is ready to help solve the national conflict, but any action must be the last resort to end the crisis.

Gen Prayuth yesterday called on parties involved in the conflict to exercise restraint, avoid violence and solve problems through legal means, following calls for military intervention to end the political deadlock by some pressure groups.

Sondhi Limthongkul, who played a key role in the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) street protests that led to the 2006 coup, has publicly urged the military to intervene.

"The military must take a leading role, with the backing of people," Mr Sondhi said on Friday night at a Dhamma Army rally stage.

"I am not shy about asking the military to come out. A coup is not always a bad thing if it changes the nation for the better."

The former PAD leader added that the People's Democratic Reform Committee's (PDRC) demand to invoke Section 3 or Section 7 of the constitution to select an interim prime minister is misplaced

But Gen Prayuth insisted the army would not act on the different calls asking it to intervene or stage a coup.

"I will not just do what others want because that won't fix the problem. All those involved must do their duty to find a way out of the crisis by using the law as a tool to end the crisis, not to fight one another," he said.

"Trust the military. We will always be there for the country and people to lean on, but let us be the last resort."

Meanwhile, retired generals representing Rattha Bukkhon plan to ask commanders of the armed forces to seek the King's advice on ending the political crisis, after Privy Council president Prem Tinsulanonda declined to accept a mediation role on their behalf.

Gen Saiyud Kerdphol, leader of the group, said he would submit a letter on the issue to the armed forces and Supreme Commander Tanasak Patimapragorn tomorrow.

Maj Gen Apirat Khongsompong, commander of the army's 1st Division, said yesterday that soldiers had been deployed to various locations in Bangkok, including Government House, parliament and television stations, to cope with increasing political tension.

Troops are working closely with police serving the Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order (Capo), he said.

All soldiers sent to guard venues with Capo police are unarmed, he added, dismissing speculation the military was preparing to invoke martial law.

A source at the army said Gen Prayuth has ordered troops be dispatched to several Bangkok locations as part of security measures to prevent possible violent attacks, particularly at night.

The locations include PDRC rally sites, the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship rally on Aksa Road and television stations.

The army announced it would transport weapons and armaments including artillery and tanks from Khok Krathiam station in Lop Buri province to Bangkok for use in annual military field exercises.

The announcement was made to prevent public misunderstanding about the military's movements.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-05-11

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Prayuth ready to act only as last resort..........

Bolllox he aint going to do anything as he only has a few weeks until he retires and does not want to have a troubled retirement, it will be the guy who replaces him that will get tough and then it will be full on

• Like 2

Sondhi is back! The airport closer. The seditionist who brought the country to its knees by occupying its international airport for a week and causing a month of disintermediation in international air travel. Sondhi, the best airport closer in the world. The military let him operate at will as well. He is a powerhouse. We should rejoice that this powerful and knowing Thai leader is back on the scene.

Perhaps he has recovered from the bullet wound to his brain when Thaksin had his SUV sprayed with 200 rounds of automatic rifle fire? That Sondhi?

• Like 1

Sondhi is back! The airport closer. The seditionist who brought the country to its knees by occupying its international airport for a week and causing a month of disintermediation in international air travel. Sondhi, the best airport closer in the world. The military let him operate at will as well. He is a powerhouse. We should rejoice that this powerful and knowing Thai leader is back on the scene.

Perhaps he has recovered from the bullet wound to his brain when Thaksin had his SUV sprayed with 200 rounds of automatic rifle fire? That Sondhi?

And of course you have irrefutable evidence that Thaksin ordered that incident in order to make such a blatant comment such as that, correct? Or are you just talking out of your nether region?

Do you know something about it? Tell me.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In the country I am from a military chief would be sacked for speaking like this but TIT where politicians both need and fear the military.

Is his Commander in Chief still Defence Minister or was she sacked from both posts or is his Defence Minister still CiC ?

What fun, will the real boss please stand up or is he only available on Skype form the sand castle ?

When she appointed herself to the Defense post it probably tripped a wire that she was out.

• Like 2

And of course you have irrefutable evidence that Thaksin ordered that incident in order to make such a blatant comment such as that, correct? Or are you just talking out of your nether region?

Do you know something about it? Tell me.

Reading comprehension not one of your strong points? I never said I knew anything about it. I simply stated that apparently rabas must have irrefutable proof that Thaksin ordered the "hit" in order to make such a statement.

• Like 1

Thaksin + someone who is not an ally of Thaksin + 200 rounds of automatic rifle fire ? Sounds legit ! whistling.gif

• Like 2

"The army announced it would transport weapons and armaments including artillery and tanks from Khok Krathiam station in Lop Buri province to Bangkok for use in annual military field exercises."

Never mind what he says......this is more important.

• Like 1

i think a coup may happen but only if a lot of reds turn up in bkk i dont know how many were at there rally yesterday...anyone..

A lot. This morning's newspaper, but using Saturday evening dronecam photo (top left)

post-52815-0-38176200-1399779034_thumb.j

"The army announced it would transport weapons and armaments including artillery and tanks from Khok Krathiam station in Lop Buri province to Bangkok for use in annual military field exercises."

Never mind what he says......this is more important.

More important than the last four times they said the same thing, such as Children's Day or rotating troops in the South? Why do you think the army is lying this time only?

Since you admit you have no evidence at all, I can only think you don't know Sondhi too well. Not that Thaksin isn't a suspect, and they'll get to him in time, but there's rather a long line ahead of him.

Edited by wandasloan
  • Like 1

Seems easy enough, Suthep has only to escalate violence via his thugish guards against the red protest group, and presto, the coup he has always been dreaming about, how convinient

Back in the real world it is the Red Shirts that have been attacking the anti-government protestors (and institutions that don't bend to their will) for the last several months.

How many grenades have been thrown at Red Shirt rallies? How many ambushed and shot at? None, that's how many.

• Like 2

No wonder the thai people are so disillusioned with the conflicting statements coming from this bloke!

Yesterday he stated that a coup was not the answer.

It's starting to look like the faceless yellows are slowly getting there way.

All this crap about charging sutep and freezing his assets has gone far to long now and he is a protected species allowed to carry on with what ever means he likes to divide the country and take it to the brink.

And surprisingly judging by so of the posts on here over the last few months people are actually hoping for this lunatic fanatic to get his way,

Shame!

Seems easy enough, Suthep has only to escalate violence via his thugish guards against the red protest group, and presto, the coup he has always been dreaming about, how convinient

Back in the real world it is the Red Shirts that have been attacking the anti-government protestors (and institutions that don't bend to their will) for the last several months.

How many grenades have been thrown at Red Shirt rallies? How many ambushed and shot at? None, that's how many.

Case in point from today:

Two M79 grenades fired at rally site near Government House, injuring two

BANGKOK: -- A man and a woman were slightly injured with bomb fragments when assailants fired two M79 grenades at a rally site near the Government House late Saturday night.

The attack against the rally site of the Students and People Network for Thailand's Reform happened at 10:30 pm.

The first grenade fell behind the rally stage, injuring Naronchai Seesirirungrot, 52, and Isarawan Sriklai, 55.

The second grenade fell in front of the Rajvinit Secondary School, damaging three phone booths and three cars.

xnationlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.k-Kc5cy-DD.

Another fantasy post. Not once in 6 months has the PDRC attacked the Reds. What makes you think they will begin now? If anything the REDS will attack the PDRC.

Suthep has done a pretty good job minimizing violence from his supporters. Even though his rallies and supporters have been attacked almost daily. Closr your eyes and go back to sleep so you can dream up more BS to post

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Forgetting the PDRC supporters and students attacking the Red Shirt bus last December aren't we?

Widely covered by Bangkok Post and The Nation.

You just couldn't resist throwing an instance to reply something. However that attack was with the PCAD. Also if you would read all of my post you would see i said that the PDRC minimized the violence his protestors used. If you did read that maybe you should learn some more english. Unless of course you just wanted to twist my post to suit your views

• Like 1

Another fantasy post. Not once in 6 months has the PDRC attacked the Reds. What makes you think they will begin now? If anything the REDS will attack the PDRC.

Suthep has done a pretty good job minimizing violence from his supporters. Even though his rallies and supporters have been attacked almost daily. Closr your eyes and go back to sleep so you can dream up more BS to post

Forgetting the PDRC supporters and students attacking the Red Shirt bus last December aren't we?

Widely covered by Bangkok Post and The Nation.

You just couldn't resist throwing an instance to reply something. However that attack was with the PCAD. Also if you would read all of my post you would see i said that the PDRC minimized the violence his protestors used. If you did read that maybe you should learn some more english. Unless of course you just wanted to twist my post to suit your views

One of my friends, a PDRC supporter was there and saw exactly what happened.

Were you?