Third fire at Phraekasa landfill in Samut Prakarn

webfact

Third fire at Phraekasa landfill

BANGKOK: -- A third fire in within two months reoccurred at Phraekasa landfill in Tambon Bangpoo of Muang district of Samut Prakarn, forcing local authorities to call in fire engines to fight the blaze before it goes out of control.

A Tambon local administration officer said residents near the landfill said the fire started by some scrap collectors burning insulators from scrap copper wire.

It was the third time that fire broke out at this landfill in two months.

The fire is sending black smoke into the sky and is threatening adjacent community areas.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/third-fire-phraekasa-landfill/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-05-12

Praekkasa Garbage Dump fire erupts again

SAMUT PRAKAN, 12 May 2014 (NNT) - Firefighters and local authorities have been deployed after hearing reports that the Praekkasa landfill site in Samut Prakan province has erupted again.

Smoke billowed around the area, as the garbage dump fire continued to wreak havoc again for the third time today (May 12th) afternoon after causing damages to the province earlier during March and April.

Meanwhile, the Praekkasa Subdistrict Administration Organization President Mr. Im Paemo, said that the blaze has erupted again at the same spot as last time. However, the fires were milder this time around and haven’t caused widespread damage compared to the previous incident.

Reports indicate that a local collector was seen burning objects at the landfill site in order to extract valuable copper. Needless to say, his actions were the reason that caused the fire.

As of now, the authorities have deployed at least six fire trucks and expect that it would take at least two hours to extinguish the blaze.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-12 footer_n.gif

I would think it would be difficult to cause'damage' as the article states to a garbage dump.

It is the chemicals in the air it generates.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

It isn't just air born pollutants. Low temperature combustion of plastics produces dioxins which will stay in the soil and dust for generations. It will also be absorbed into the water table and again remain for hundreds of years.

Just outside Pattaya is an old gravel and sand quarry. About three years ago it looked to be abandoned and slowly filling with water. Then illegal tipping began. Only Buddha knows what lay submerged below the water. Then about a year ago a makeshift but ineffective fence was erected and t looks like the legitimate owners of the quarry have begun dumping heavens knows what. Building waste,domestic putrescible waste, agricultural waste and possibly toxic waste. Does any body know for sure. Due to the lack of a proper fence I doubt it very much.

No attempt has been made to stop polluted water and leachate leaking into ground water. A couple of months ago it dawned on me that the quarry is located about 2km from and 50 metres or so above Lake Mabarachan. This is actually a reservoir and provides much of Pattaya's drinking water.

The quarry catching fire is probably a lesser but still serious consequence of waste disposal being carried out in blatant contravention of law, regulation and best practice. Sometimes I despair at the short sightedness ofThai authorities.

• Like 1