Jasmine rice.............what's the big deal?

jaideeguy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we never buy white Jasmine rice. 90% of the time we use brown rice - a few variations. for khao man gai we use mun poo rice.

i too, prefer the Japanese or the Basmati rice but as said, seldom ever eat white rice.

I myself much prefer Basmati,flavour and fluffy grains,i do eat Thai rice but my wife does not buy Jasmine, but some other type,she to cooks it in the rice cooker,it's okay but i do find as you say it tends to stick together and you have to kind of gently chop away at it with a spoon to break it up,the sticky rice i do not like at all,but for me Basmati is the best.

Can tell the difference right away, by the aroma.

Any rice can be cooked to perfection. And, like wine, some rices go better with certain foods.

A nuttier flavored brown rice ...heavy in texture and flavor...may be more suited for...say a Roasted, seasoned Leg of Lamb....in a rice Pilaf.... While Jasmine would be best with certain mild Curries.

Japanese varieties (short grained) are very good, and tend to be easier to eat with chopsticks.... best when topped with some stirfry.

Non-afficiandos probably will not care much which type they are eating. Many farangs scoff at rice all together, forcing their wives to eat greasy, unappealing chips (french fries) or limp mashed potatoes with butter and greasy gravy... ewwwwwwww

Agree with that also the water content of the rice changes depending how long ago it was harvested and so the amount of water cooked with it should also change.

• Like 2

Your wife can't cook, send her for cooking lessons. Thai Jasmine Rice is the best if cooked properly.

I agree, we use Jasmine everyday and its not sticky or tasteless. But you get different brands and to some you need to add less water when you cook the rice. The brand we use cost B 148/5 kg at Makro, dirt cheap.

• Like 1

Buy cheap rice and it's likely to involve an expensive trip to the dentist. You are more than likely to find a stone in cheap rice.

Or some extra work, you really do get what you pay for, and if you want to get the stones out yourself you can save penny.

I lived in Kauai for the first of my 16 years in Hawaii. One day, I was invited to lunch at the home of a local doctor I"d met. He asked if I had any food preferance and I told him no, I eat everything. Every time I've been asked a similar question since then I answer, I eat anything but poi.

Your complaint sounds a lot like the classic defense for justifiable murder... "I kept telling her to put the cap back on the toothpaste and she wouldn't listen."

Why don't you try making rice the way you like it and let her try it. If she agrees, teach her how to make it your way. If not, buy another rice cooker.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Buy cheap rice and it's likely to involve an expensive trip to the dentist. You are more than likely to find a stone in cheap rice.

Or some extra work, you really do get what you pay for, and if you want to get the stones out yourself you can save penny.

I don't and I don't.

• Like 1

I lived in Kauai for the first of my 16 years in Hawaii. One day, I was invited to lunch at the home of a local doctor I"d met. He asked if I had any food preferance and I told him no, I eat everything. Every time I've been asked a similar question since then I answer, I eat anything but poi.

Now THAT is funny. Thank you. And you are so absolutely, totally right. Give me pla ra and a plate of beetles every day, make me go to Suthep concerts every night for a month, but please don't feed me poi.

post-52815-0-62563000-1399975351_thumb.j

My OP got lost and found it's way to the Thai food forum, probably where it should have been in the first place............

Actually the FIL did send me a big bag of his rice and it was better than most, but still tasteless white mush after the wife cooked it.

I know what your next statement will be.......................'why don't I cook the rice my way.........drier and with more texture??'

my reply will be................'I have tried it and the wife [and brainwashed kids] like it overcooked and mushy and then insist on cooking it her way' which is the way her mother did it and her grand mother etc.....

I do occasionally insist on a different kind of rice and keep MY rice in the refrigerator for ME.

life is tough here.............