Buying and selling a car

Card

cut and paste

Thai seller
Signed copy of ID card front and back ( not expired )
Signed copy of house registration ( not allways required )
signed " nungsue moub umnart " หนังสือมอบอำนาจ ( if seller is not going with you to DLT )
signed "beb kum kor own le rup own " แบบคำขอโอนและรับโอน ขส.บ. ท. - 11
greeen/ blue book signed by current owner

Foreigner seller needs
certificate of residence from immigration ( should be free at immigration but varies from place to place )
For foreign seller, in stead of certificate of residence also workpermit or yellow housebook is accepted.
copy passport photo page
copy of visa page and or extension ( not expired )
signed " nungsue moub umnart " หนังสือมอบอำนาจ ( if seller is not going with you to DLT )
green/blue book signed by current owner

cut and paste

Thai seller

Foreigner seller needs

certificate of residence from immigration ( should be free at immigration but varies from place to place )

For foreign seller, in stead of certificate of residence also workpermit or yellow housebook is accepted.

copy passport photo page

Many thanks - very useful. Can you tell me if I can get 2 proofs of address (one for registering the new car and 1 for insurance of the new car) from lad Prao immigration and how long it takes and what docs are needed?

You can get as many certificates as you want you'll need 1 to sell and 1 to buy

( don't think you need 1 for insurance ) some places charge money "for fast service" others make you wait weeks.

I haven't used lad Prao immigration

You'll need documents to proove where you are living , so rental agreement or copy of blue house book.

and a couple of those passport sized photos, there may be a form to fill in too but can't remember.

You need to fill in the form stating buying or selling new or second hand car, copy of household bill in your name or thai driving licence will be ok for prove your address.

No proof of residence paper required for insurance.

If buying brand new car the dealer will handle registration paperwork after you give them proof of residence from immigration..

If you sell second hand one to a dealer they will handle paperwork too..

cut and paste

Thai seller

Foreigner seller needs

copy passport photo page

Many thanks - very useful. Can you tell me if I can get 2 proofs of address (one for registering the new car and 1 for insurance of the new car) from lad Prao immigration and how long it takes and what docs are needed?

I just went to Lad Prao immigration yesterday, 14 May, to get the resident certificate. They will give you a form to complete. You will need your passport and a copy of the first page, your visa and arrival card and the document you get when you do your 90 day report as well as two pictures. It takes 10 days to get the certificate. When she told me it would take 10 days I told her I needed it like tomorrow but she said impossible. I hinted at a small bribe to get it quicker but no luck with that. So now I have an appointment at the US consulate on Monday to get it there, for $50.00! I don't know what they charge at Immigration but I'm sure it's much less then $50. Of course getting it at the embassy you get it as soon as you apply.

cut and paste

Thai seller

Foreigner seller needs

copy passport photo page

I just went to Lad Prao immigration yesterday, 14 May, to get the resident certificate. They will give you a form to complete. You will need your passport and a copy of the first page, your visa and arrival card and the document you get when you do your 90 day report as well as two pictures. It takes 10 days to get the certificate. When she told me it would take 10 days I told her I needed it like tomorrow but she said impossible. I hinted at a small bribe to get it quicker but no luck with that. So now I have an appointment at the US consulate on Monday to get it there, for $50.00! I don't know what they charge at Immigration but I'm sure it's much less then $50. Of course getting it at the embassy you get it as soon as you apply.

Hi, strange because I also went yesterday to Lad Prao immigration and this is what I found (your experience might be clouded by you not actually having an application accepted). I DO NOT agree with your offering a bribe - that is out of order especially as the ladies who deal with the Cert Res are extremely hard working, diligent and patient - putting them in such a position is bad

1. You have to wait in the queue for line J (90 day report and Tourist visa) - it is long first thing in the morning and takes about an hour.

1a. They gave me the pics back, they didn't seem to want them.

2. I gave them a Word completed form from the immigration website but they wanted me to complete fresh, identical forms by hand, which was a bit of a nuisance. So best to do that before you go.

3. I presented a copy of my condo contract and had the original handy, but they didn't seem to be interested and they didn't ask me for any other form of proof of address.

4. They wanted 2 copies of main passport page, last arrivals card and entry stamp, visa extension, 90 day report card and for some unknown reason 1 page with 2 used re-entry permits - absolutely no idea why as I have loads of them but they picked 2 from 2008 and 2009 - not the last ones.

5. I paid the 400 baht (200 baht for selling a car and 200 baht for buying one, as I need 2 proofs of address). I only needed 1 set of docs for both proofs.

6. They added a note to my passport and told me to return in 10 days - the date on the note and to see this wonderful lady directly without queing on the day (dangerous as tempers are riding high when people think you are pushing into queues!)

7. Overall it took about 2 hours to complete this first step with a lot of toeing anf froeing to the copy machine.

8. I thanked the lady doing the processing - she is great and I suggest others do the same.

Thanks to those who have offered help on this topic - it saved me about 4000 baht which is what I might have had to pay at the UK embassy for 2.

• Like 1

I agree, it's not good form to offer a bribe. I didn't actually offer her $$. When she said it would take 10 days I just asked her if their was any way to get it quicker.

"I hinted at a small bribe to get it quicker but no luck with that.'

YOUR words

Well the hint was trying to get quicker service for which obviously she would be rewarded. Wow! I'll have to certainly be on my toes next time I reply to one of your posts!

Yes, a bribe.

• 3 weeks later...

cut and paste

Thai seller

Foreigner seller needs

copy passport photo page

Do you know if there is an english translation of the " nungsue moub umnart " หนังสือมอบอำนาจand the "beb kum kor own le rup own " แบบคำขอโอนและรับโอน ขส.บ. ท. - 11 ??

I am buying from an Farang and I am worried that we will balls it up. I could do with at least pointers on what the headings are if anyone knows of an annotated one?

cheers

• 1 month later...