Driving scooter to surat thani from Samui for transfer

I recently bought a second hand scooter (a 2.5 year old Honda Scoopi-I) from another (thai) couple on the island. They gave me the transfer papers (all in thai) and said that I can go to the Department of Land Transportation to get the name changed over.

When I arrived, they told me that as the bike was purchased orginally in Surat Thani, I need to take the bike to Surat Thani to do the vehicle transfer! Thank you to the kind couple for leaving this important piece of information out.

So, now I come to ask, has anyone had any experince transporting (hopefully cheaply) their bike (and themselves) to Surat Thani from Samui to do a transfer? I was considering riding myself there on the bike, but it's a long journey. It would be nice if there was a way to get it done here on the island, or online, but it looks like that is not an option.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks, all!

Edited by xebozone

What exactly does the agent do? Do they take the bike for me? Or just help with the papers? Is this technically legal? I thought the owners need to be present for a transfer? Could one recommend a good, trusted agent?

Thanks for all your help.

I lost the front license plate from my care during the last floods,

Because my car is registered in Bangkok they, Department of Land Transportation, told me i should go to Bangkok to get a replacement. LOL

In the end Dan Auto took care of it and got my plate. The guy from Dan Auto told me that the law says that you can get it from any Department of Land Transportation office but that most employees didn't know the rules.biggrin.png

• Like 1

Perhaps go ask at a Honda Dealer if they can do it, ..... see what they say....

I'd suggest the one in Maenam, as they speak English quite well and other services there are good.... (perhaps the other Honda shops too... (?)

They do yearly renewals which saves the hassle of going to the MVB...

There has to be hundreds of bikes or cars that come from off the island, I can't see everyone headed off to place of origin to change plates...blink.png

There has to be hundreds of bikes or cars that come from off the island, I can't see everyone headed off to place of origin to change plates...blink.png

In theory - one should, but TIT. Just buy them a cup of tea (or two). whistling.gif

There are a few people around that can organise this. I had a jeep once that not only did it have out of town plates, but the colour of the jeep in the book was not the colour of the jeep!!! facepalm.gif Dan Auto sorted that one out for me. I take my bikes there to get the insurance/road tax renewed as well.

In theory - one should, but TIT. Just buy them a cup of tea (or two). whistling.gif

There are a few people around that can organise this. I had a jeep once that not only did it have out of town plates, but the colour of the jeep in the book was not the colour of the jeep!!! facepalm.gif Dan Auto sorted that one out for me. I take my bikes there to get the insurance/road tax renewed as well.

That's why I suggested trying the Honda shop.... now you have added Dan Auto, agree..... there has to be other places around... obviously for a fee... or a cup of tea or two whistling.giftongue.png

Slowly we may get a list of places who can do !!!! facepalm.gif .....

Perhaps Khun Mole could give some insight....???? he's pretty helpful with many things! thumbsup.gifwhistling.gif

I asked someone today, who buys bikes on Mainland.... He thinks the transfer papers said the that the paper might have said "Surrathanii area" (meaning town of) and did not say Surrathannii Province.... blink.png I don't like the TIT thing, but it sounds like a bureaucratic technicality ???? So wording is wrong, written by the seller?...

The person I asked, brings in bikes from BKK area sometimes too, and has no difficulty in doing the transfer with those..... He just goes to MVB in Lipa Noi.... done!

He just goes to MVB in Lipa Noi.... done!

MVB?

You mean the DLT (department of Land Transportation)

Oh... Not......MVB = Motor Vehicle branch.... same same but different wording .... lost in translation... blink.pngcarry on then.....

sorry a Big C moment! whistling.giftongue.png

Edited by samuijimmy

You can take the bike to Nathon DLT office and they will transfer the book into your name. Samui comes under Surat Thani anyway. If you drive through Nathon heading towards Lamai you need to take a right as if you were going to Nikki beach. On the right hand side before you get to the bend is what would be described as an MOT garage back in the UK. Take your bike there and they will take a rubbing of the frame number and the engine number. I think it costs around 70 Baht. They will then give you a form to take to the DLT which is past Niklki beach and is a turning on your left before you get to the turning for the Raja ferry. They will then transfer the book into your name no problem thumbsup.gif

You can take the bike to Nathon DLT office and they will transfer the book into your name. Samui comes under Surat Thani anyway. If you drive through Nathon heading towards Lamai you need to take a right as if you were going to Nikki beach. On the right hand side before you get to the bend is what would be described as an MOT garage back in the UK. Take your bike there and they will take a rubbing of the frame number and the engine number. I think it costs around 70 Baht. They will then give you a form to take to the DLT which is past Niklki beach and is a turning on your left before you get to the turning for the Raja ferry. They will then transfer the book into your name no problem thumbsup.gif

Is this true for ANY bike, ie a BKK plate or a Pattalung plate? or Just for Surat Thani plates that were registered outside of Samui?

Is this true for ANY bike, ie a BKK plate or a Pattalung plate? or Just for Surat Thani plates that were registered outside of Samui?

That's a good post Pipiffs made, thumbsup.gifseems the missing link in all of this is the "MOT garage" part ..... which I had not remember hearing about before... As I said above there does not seem to be a problem with bikes from BKK and other areas, according to the person I asked this morning.... who thought it might be an incorrect wording on the paper work... ???

More of Pipiffs knowledge welcome to help & clarify! thumbsup.gif

That's a good post Pipiffs made, thumbsup.gifseems the missing link in all of this is the "MOT garage" part ..... which I had not remember hearing about before... As I said above there does not seem to be a problem with bikes from BKK and other areas, according to the person I asked this morning.... who thought it might be an incorrect wording on the paper work... ???

My car was originally registered in BKK. Part of the deal was that the (Thai) seller would transfer and register it on Samui (ie in Surat).

This she did by going herself with only the book - not the car - to Surat. I have since been told that Dan Auto (etc etc) would be able to do the same thing.

R

My car was originally registered in BKK. Part of the deal was that the (Thai) seller would transfer and register it on Samui (ie in Surat).

This she did by going herself with only the book - not the car - to Surat. I have since been told that Dan Auto (etc etc) would be able to do the same thing.

R

Dan Auto's probably can because they are a certified inspection station, so only need to send paperwork & not car / bike.