What Happens at the Amphur?

Spouse

I'm just wondering what to expect at the amphur when registering the marriage?

What happens? Does just the couple turn up, sign the forms and go with their new certificates?

I'm thinking of going to the one in Bang Rak.

How much does it all cost? What do you need to bring, apart from the translated affirmation?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

You both get a certificate each ---(In Thai) ...there is no charge for marrying --no charge for divorce, I have been to many weddings there for both non Thai's (Farrang & Flip) & they have been surprised that they don't have to pay.

Yes any Amphur if you have the correct papers......

Edited by oxo1947

You have to bring the right paperwork, a certificate from your own country that you are able to marry your passport and probably translations (not everywhere needed)

As I remember right it's 300 Baht or so and without queue you're done in half an hour.

There is no reception nor champagne or beer unless you bring your own ;-)

After recently went to Bang Rak and got married.

You need 2 copies of everything.

Letter from the embassy that has been translated and verified by the MFA that you are free to marry

GF Blue book

GF ID

Your passport with your latest pages of your visa status

Any witnesses ID

Any other ID may help

Costswise it is not much about 300 I think but the Wife Paid it.

Best only to go to Bang Rak as other Ampurs shy away from marrying a Farang.

Edited by weescotsguy66

Also got married at Bang Rak in March. I am Aussie so needed affirmation stat declaration from embassy that was translated into thai and certified by thai consular affairs. 2 copies of all that, 2 copies of passport. 2 copies of wife's id and house book page. She had to fill out some sort of stat dec similar to what I did.

There is a copy shop not far away if needed.

Witnesses were another couple doing the same thing.

They were very very helpful at the office and very professional and from memory it was only 60 baht.. Or maybe 200 baht.

No questions about finances or anything like that. At least not to me.

We received 2 copies of certificates and signature paperwork, plus an extra copy of the signature papers for the mrs to give to local amphur office (I think).

• Like 1

with the correct paperwork - embassy letter translated to thai to say I was legal to marry - that cost 2500 at the us emb and 500 bt to translate the page - chang wattana imm building.... all that stuff...

take all that paperwork over to the rangsit Amphur - wait 20-30 minutes - pay 40 bt only for 2 nice printed pages with flowers on the borders for your official married in thailand paperwork.. damn... doesn't get much cheaper than 40 bt for 2 thais to get married - or falung and thai after the falung pays the big embassy price for the legal page.... 5 5 5

now divorcing might cost a bit more ....

The Affirmation at the British Embassy is expensive, 3640 Baht on 24th Feb this year.

Translation was 300 Baht per page.

MFA legalisation was 400 Baht per document (2 needed) for same-day service, took just over 2 hours.

Cost at Amphur was 300 Baht and it took about 20 minutes.

We need a few extra photocopies and there was a machine in the office, about 3 baht per sheet.

You both get a certificate each ---(In Thai) ...there is no charge for marrying --no charge for divorce, I have been to many weddings there for both non Thai's (Farrang & Flip) & they have been surprised that they don't have to pay.

Yes any Amphur if you have the correct papers......

My divorce cost me 116 baht.

Who said it's free ?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

One tip that I can give, might be universial, but certainly my experience.

The amphur office closes for lunch ... Midday till 1pm

When ever the Thai lassie and I had some business to do if we were arriving close to midday

then we would defer and go to the local shopping centre.

Mind you ... that could be her secret ploy ... rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

As I remember right it's 300 Baht or so and without queue you're done in half an hour.

The current fee charged for registering your marriage at the amphur office is 40 baht .

If you don't bring your own witnesses, you will be asked to donate some money to the office staff who will volunteer as witnesses.

Do you need a ring at the amphora, or just sign the papers?

Theoretically you don't need to make an appointment, you can just turn up. But if one party is non-Thai, a senior registrar will be required to process the documents.

Unless you go to an Amphur (like Bang Rak) that frequently deals with non-Thais registering their marriage, it will be advisable to make an appointment.

Thanks. Yes we are planning to go to Bangrak.

Any tips on finding a Thai translator to bring with us then? If that is necessary.

Thanks.

Bang rak will probably have someone who speaks English.

Better to check first.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The current fee charged for registering your marriage at the amphur office is 40 baht .

If you don't bring your own witnesses, you will be asked to donate some money to the office staff who will volunteer as witnesses.

Could that be a job opportunity?

Loiter round the local amphur office and offer your 'Witness' services for a small fee?

• Like 2

Could that be a job opportunity?

Loiter round the local amphur office and offer your 'Witness' services for a small fee?

Loiter with intent... Now here's a plan. biggrin.png

Actually the real business opportunity is to take foreign couples there and guide them though the process. But you need to know some Thai.

Edited by Morakot

Nope. Just showed up at about 3.30 pm and they closed at 4pm. Officially married at 3:55pm. As I said. They were really great.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Your lucky.... We arrived there fairly early in the morning and didn't get out till near 4 PM.

One tip that I can give, might be universial, but certainly my experience.

The amphur office closes for lunch ... Midday till 1pm

When ever the Thai lassie and I had some business to do if we were arriving close to midday

then we would defer and go to the local shopping centre.

Mind you ... that could be her secret ploy ... rolleyes.gif

You should counter that move by insisting if you don't eat within the next 10 minutes you may die.