Temple defends Doi Suthep observation tower design

webfact

Temple Defends Doi Suthep Observation Tower Design
Khaosod English

14002197051400219790l.jpg
The plan for a new observation tower being built at Doi Suthep Temple in Chiang Mai.

CHIANG MAI — A temple official has assured Buddhist worshipers that the observation tower being built at Doi Suthep Temple will not be taller than the nearby Buddhist reliquary.

A number of local Buddhists had expressed outrage at the news that when completed, the three-story observation tower being built at the renowned mountaintop temple would exceed the height of Phra That Pagoda, which is believed to house the remnants of Buddha's cremated bones.

Those who oppose the project believe that building a tower taller than the pagoda would be disrespectful towards Lord Buddha.

But Wallop Namwongprom, a committee member of Doi Suthep Temple's administration, said the observation tower has always been designed to be shorter than the reliquary pagoda. He blamed the misunderstanding on the "angle" of the photo of the tower's design.

He explained that the tower is replacing the older, open-air observation deck that has been damaged over the years from exposure to the climate.

According to Mr. Wallop, the new tower will feature a large reception hall for VIP guests, a museum exhibiting over 1,000 Buddha figurines from different eras of Chiang Mai history, and an observation deck with panorama view at the top of the building.

Members of the public will be able to access the observation tower free of charge once the construction is completed, Mr. Wallop said.

"I want Chiang Mai citizens to know that many tourists, both Thai and foreign, visit the temple each year. In the future, Thailand will also join the ASEAN Economic Community," Mr. Wallop said, "So we want to renovate the temple to accommodate more guests. Please don't turn this issue into a dispute."

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1400219705

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-05-16

"Members of the public will be able to access the observation tower free of charge...".

Foreigners please proceed to the payment counter.

They might as well say "Thais will be able to access the tower free of charge..."

"Members of the public will be able to access the observation tower free of charge...".

Foreigners please proceed to the payment counter.

I never had a problem entering Wat Doi Suthep for free when using the stairs and showing my TDL on request.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Do I understand this correctly? They are building an observation tower at

Doi Suthep Temple (got it) ... where one can observe (?) exactly what? I'm guessing

the fine city of Chiang Mai is visible from the temple maybe 20 days a year wink.png

• Like 1

Doi Suthep Temple (got it) ... where one can observe (?) exactly what? I'm guessing

the fine city of Chiang Mai is visible from the temple maybe 20 days a year wink.png

No, the observation tower is so people can "look down" upon a Buddhist temple.

I'm so outraged that a pimple has grown on the end of my nose.

""I want Chiang Mai citizens to know that many tourists, both Thai and foreign, visit the temple each year. In the future, Thailand will also join the ASEAN Economic Community," Mr. Wallop said, "So we want to renovate the temple to accommodate more guests. Please don't turn this issue into a dispute.""

It is a simple matter of making (more) money.

""I want Chiang Mai citizens to know that many tourists, both Thai and foreign, visit the temple each year. In the future, Thailand will also join the ASEAN Economic Community," Mr. Wallop said, "So we want to renovate the temple to accommodate more guests. Please don't turn this issue into a dispute.""

It is a simple matter of making (more) money, merit.

I corrected that for you bangon04.

This is an example of the snarky negativity (and just factually inaccurate) that often pervades this forum's comment sections. Your comments would lead those that do not know Chiang Mai to believe that somehow the weather is crap and there is rarely clear visibility. As someone who has lived in Chiang Mai for 13 years, I can with experiential, firsthand knowledge call TOTAL BS on your comment.

• Like 1

This is an example of the snarky negativity (and just factually inaccurate) that often pervades this forum's comment sections. Your comments would lead those that do not know Chiang Mai to believe that somehow the weather is crap and there is rarely clear visibility. As someone who has lived in Chiang Mai for 13 years, I can with experiential, firsthand knowledge call TOTAL BS on your comment.

Mea Culpa ... NoT tongue.png

Can't really blame the administration for trying to make enough from visitors to pay for the place. Just visited St Pauls, London and for the two of us it cost about $50. I was born in that area and it used to be free. I think I prefer visiting Doi Suthep just as much. And you don't have to book ahead.