Brits in Bangkok Channel 5 UK

Boycie

New series starting with Episode 1 of 3 on 16th May at 2255hrs Channel 5 UK

For tourists, Bangkok is an overwhelming city, but beyond the tourist trail is another world that has made Asia’s hottest city the destination for go-getting Brits. 40,000 Brits have set up home in Bangkok - a city of opportunity, where a nobody can become a somebody - where the spirit of enterprise is strong.

They’ve risked it all in moving here, and for most Brits the pros outweigh the cons – they’re suddenly big fish in a small pond – they’re achieving things they never could back home. However, alongside all the highs, we’ll be seeing a few lows as well.

Over the course of the series, we follow a colourful ensemble of Brits. People like Michael Byrne, originally from Aston Under-Lyne, who was playing for non-league Northwich Victoria before becoming the first Brit to play in the Thai Premier Football league. He now has a salary and star status he could only dream about back home, but can he hold his form and stop other foreign players stealing his place - and the limelight?

Starry eyed British dancer Leigh Barwell’s quest for fame fizzled in the UK, but in Bangkok, she’s got a successful dance troupe, and a hectic showbiz schedule. But finding decent western dancers is hard - the budgets are small and the list of client demands big.

For high flying businessman Gary, Bangkok allows him to lead a champagne lifestyle on a beer budget – he works hard, parties hard - he’s got a sharp dress sense and an even sharper tongue, while Billy Brunsden is desperately trying to build a new British-themed gastropub, but his laid-back local labourers work at a different pace.

What I want to know is how they get so many blerts to show their grids on tele & which ones are posting on here ? whistling.gif

The volunteer cop in Pattaya speaking pidgin English with fellow nationals, 4fslaugh.png ,I bet he posts here .

Edited by mad mary
  • Like 2

40,000 Brits in Bangkok? They must get their figures from the Press, which never add up. Maybe the whole of Thailand, but seems very high.

1st Episode some classic moments. I always thought that the Thai Football League was like Sunday morning football in the UK and when poor Mike threw up on the pitch, it brought back memories.

Flower sellers getting arrested on Walking Street for lowering the tone!

Thai Ambulance.... 3 on a speeding motorbike weaving between pedestrians. Don't even start discussing 'no helmets'.

I'll try and link a video of the programme. As they say, 'you had to be there' or is it 'got to be seen to be believed'?

Sent from my Spectrum ZX81

• Like 2

And these guys and gals all have legal work permits?

Hmmmmmm, I think not.

Dance troup is a good one, all nice Russian girls?

I am guessing that the only two are legal would be Gary and Michael Byrne the football player. The dance troupe , lol. Bok I guess as an owner is legal to.

THe TPV keeps up the ridiculous image of people who like dressing up and feeling important.

Billy has been around for years, and The Bulls Head was a great pub back in the day. Hope it works out for him.

Edited by mrtoad
  • Like 1

Gary - "the high powered business man" - referring to his cleaners as "little brownies" + "why should someone like ME ever have to cook?" etc etc. And his live-in made has to live in the garage?

Seriously?

Edited by keepwalking
  • Like 2

Watched the last one.

Gary the "high-flying businessman" (really??? a recruitment consultant in Bangkok???) thought he was a character - he came across as an unlikeable camp Queen.

Billy was an interesting guy and there probably could've been a programme just about him. Equally The footballer could've been an interesting watch. Dave the plank wannabe copper and the homesick Mum - B-O-R-I-N-G..

Looking at the clothes they were wearing in the interviews I think the whole programme was shot in a week or so? Pattaya one night and a couple of days?

Poor effort this - but what do you expect?

3 out of 10.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Gary - "the high powered business man" - referring to his cleaners as "little brownies" + "why should someone like ME ever have to cook?" etc etc. And his live-in made has to live in the garage?

Seriously?

I was disgusted by this cretin. He should be deported.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This show is a low class program.

Gary is a 'would be if he could be' kind of guy trying to put on a posh accent in his rented condo. I think he will look back at this program in 20 years time and see what a prat he is. Who in their right mind would pay for a cleaner and her accomodation for a small condo like that. They really should cut out shots of him in his ugly speedos. He is not made for them at all. What a fool.

The dancing duo are a joke also. She is mutton dressed up as lamb and cant dance to save her life. Go get a teaching job or will you be crap at that as well.

Billy the barman is a no hoper with no brains. The investor of that bar must have rocks in his head to front money for billy. What a disaster waiting to happen.

I liked the tourist policeman. They have to put up with a lot of crap and giving their time on the beat for free is worthy of a gold medal.

2.5 out of 10. Sack gay gary. Gary needs to learn that its vulgar to pretend to have money. Even folk with real money dont brag about it. You are a farmer boy with no class.... we can tell

• Like 2

That headhunter is a true douche. Guy thinks he's some kind of celebrity.

That housewife needs a gik. Moan, moan and more moan. Her husband is SO playing away

Dancer's boyfriend really epitomizes the chancer-type so assured of his "talent" that an entire lifetime of refusals hasn't delivered the message.

The dancer is deluded. No opportunities here for an old white bird with crooked teeth and dubious choreography skills

very funny comment. This should be nominated for the post of the year. All very true comments. She cant dance for sh*t. The housewife is a bad mother feeding her kids cheese biscuits and no doubt her husband is going for soapy massages to relieve stress of having a wife like her.