Re-entering Thailand issue

""I believe this was arranged by my ex-Thai wife who wanted me out of the country""

Yes I'm sure she forced you to work illegal without work permit wink.png

And people here complain when Thailand make the rules more strict for staying with and without visa

Edited by bangkoklasse

To those implying a criminal or illicit element in the issue at hand, my documents were issued via the proper channels and correct procedures. I completed the right forms, submitted the right documentation, followed the published procedures. Its not like I have a completely new identity or whatever. My surname on my current passport is the Scandinavian version of the anglicised surname reflected on my previous passport. Its one additional consonant and one different vowel. All other details are the exact same information on government records.

To put this into context:

My surname on previous passport: ******e**
Now: ****oe*** (as a result of transcribing the ø)
Plus one additional consonant. (a double of an existing one)

When you know the passport have the wrong name (spelling) it's not legal to use it. And you know that.

After ~12 years in, non-B + fully legit work permit and all the trappings, another dozen years ago, suddenly, and entirely my fault, I was deported on a three month overstay in December. The judge (Pattaya) made a point of telling me I was welcome to return at any time, and I did the following March with new passport, all particulars unchanged. The immigration officer floored me with a big smile and "welcome back Mr xyz"

Edited by BanTamo

After ~12 years in, non-B + fully legit work permit and all the trappings, another dozen years ago, suddenly, and entirely my fault, I was deported on a three month overstay in December. The judge (Pattaya) made a point of telling me I was welcome to return at any time, and I did the following March with new passport, all particulars unchanged. The immigration officer floored me with a big smile and "welcome back Mr xyz"

But I suppose you came back with a passport that had your real name and the right spelling of it also ;)

The OP is knowingly using a passport that has been issued with an incorrect surname. Just because some passport office functionary screwed up the translation of the name does not absolve the OP from being busted for fraudulent use.

I completed the right forms, submitted the right documentation, followed the published procedures. Its not like I have a completely new identity or whatever...

But you have not followed the published procedure where you are supposed to check the passport details for errors before using it. I am pretty sure that if it had identified you as Mrs instead of Mr, you would have sent the passport back.

Get that BASIC issue resolved NOW before Thailand gets in lockstep with fingerprinting and THEN worry about your past immigration and marriage worries coming back and biting your arse. You may not be black-listed in Thailand but you could have a BIG issue back home.

There seem to be people who "know" that a different transliteration means that there is a big problem.

If it is then that is a matter for the foreign office of the country that issued the passport. For some country's it may be for others it isn't.

For Thailand and most other country's using a valid passport issued by a country (not a fake) is no problem. And unless you tell the country that you now have a different name it is extremely unlikely that they will ever link the 2.

As you have never entered Thailand using the spelling on your current passport the immigration department doesn't know you.

As for the bank you might need your old canceled passport as well as your new one. It is very much a case by case situation.

To those implying a criminal or illicit element in the issue at hand, my documents were issued via the proper channels and correct procedures. I completed the right forms, submitted the right documentation, followed the published procedures. Its not like I have a completely new identity or whatever. My surname on my current passport is the Scandinavian version of the anglicised surname reflected on my previous passport. Its one additional consonant and one different vowel. All other details are the exact same information on government records.

To put this into context:

My surname on previous passport: ******e**

Now: ****oe*** (as a result of transcribing the ø)

Plus one additional consonant. (a double of an existing one)

When you know the passport have the wrong name (spelling) it's not legal to use it. And you know that.

if it is legal to use or not depends on the law of your own country.

For British citizens your name and the spelling of it is your choice and can be changed at any time by you just by using the new name or spelling. Nothing more is needed by the law.

However some things are easier if you do a formal deed pole change, and some are difficult to impossible if you don't.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1