Register Child Of Irish Citizen

eddiecr

I'm going to become a father next month, a boy. I'm an Irish citizen, the mother is Thai.

I know that any child of an Irish citizen is automatically an Irish citizen but I don't know

what, if any, the registration procedure with the Irish government is. I've searched the web

but, while there's lots and lots (and lots!) of information out there about how to register

for Irish citizenship (the register of Foreign Births) if your grandparents were Irish,

there's no information about foreign-born children of Irish nationals.

I've tried to get in touch with the Irish consulate here in Bangkok but, I guess because

there's only an honorary Consul, I haven't succeeded. Their website is also pretty short on

information about this subject. So, does anybody here know how I go about registering my

son as an Irish citizen thus making sure he's entitled to an Irish Passport, EU residency,

etc, etc, if he should ever want those things?

Congrats on soon becoming a dad! I have registered my daughter as Irish.

You will need quite a few documents for the Foreign Birth Registration. You will need the originals and copies of:

Your son's birth cert and a certifed translated version.

Your marriage cert and a certifed translated version.

Your passport.

Your birth cert.

Your wife's passport.

Your wife's birth cert and a certifed translated version.

2 or 3 passport style photos of your son.

I think that's it, I had to bring my parents ones also as I'm mixed too. Then you should bring all that to the Irish Consulate in Q House Lumpini, fill out the FBR form (Or better still, get the FBR form first and they will let you know exactly what's needed!), give them some money and they send it to the Embassy in Malaysia, a couple of weeks later voila!

Once you have the FBR you can apply for his passport! I hope what I wrote makes sense to you, good luck Eddie!

:o

Edited by Thairish

Congrats on soon becoming a dad! I have registered my daughter as Irish.

You will need quite a few documents for the Foreign Birth Registration. You will need the originals and copies of:

Your son's birth cert and a certifed translated version.

Your marriage cert and a certifed translated version.

Your passport.

Your birth cert.

Your wife's passport.

Your wife's birth cert and a certifed translated version.

2 or 3 passport style photos of your son.

I think that's it, I had to bring my parents ones also as I'm mixed too. Then you should bring all that to the Irish Consulate in Q House Lumpini, fill out the FBR form (Or better still, get the FBR form first and they will let you know exactly what's needed!), give them some money and they send it to the Embassy in Malaysia, a couple of weeks later voila!

Once you have the FBR you can apply for his passport! I hope what I wrote makes sense to you, good luck Eddie!

Thanks, Thairish

That's exactly what I needed to know. Much appreciated.

Eddie

:o