Which city / place will be the next "Pattaya" in Myanmar?

dagling

Probably not Burma. But Cambodia's Sihanoukville is getting there. I expect Angeles City in the Philippines isn't far off already.

Really? I've been to Snooky, I'd guess it's at least 50 years away from even being a decent tourist resort, forget being anything like Pattaya. Which isn't a nice tourist resort, of course, but has 100 times the Mod Cons that dumpy little dusty town does. Or ever will IMO.

Never been to Angeles but have friends who have been going since the 90's and they tell me it has always been a dump of epic proportions and always will be. Dunno myself because I will never go there. Ever. For any reason.

Lets face it; Pattaya is a true dump and a sex tourist haven. But it has world-class shopping, fantastic restaurants, huge, A/C shopping malls, 4 and 5 star hotels, etc....... you guys really see Cambodia or Burma or The Flips having all those things in one city which people would flock to by the tens of thousands? I don't.

If we are talking about other countries,,,,,, I think Pangandaran in Java Indonesia would become the next Pats if it built a decent airport

Seriously you guys. Read all this crap that is written to each other. Reads like the Australian government sitting. Big egos, Absolute bullsh#t being spoken, Maximum effort at point scoring to the detriment of others, Self opinionated people and no manners. I wonder how many of you would have the audacity to speak to one another like this if it wasn't for the fact you are hiding behind a keyboard anomonously? Grow up! Whatsmore Thailand is not your country and you are only a guest here. So your opinion and statements about the state of affairs in thiscountry is only for the benefit of your childish arguments. No wonder Thais generally have such a poor opinion of westerners. Maybe they read Thai Visa and base their facts on that. Instead of sitting behind your keyboards get outside and enjoy the weather and lifestyle, for which, you chose Thailand as your home for. Have a great day and enjoy your future life in this country. If thats your CHOICE.

While I agree with many your points and observations, people are free to demonstrate their bias and bigotry.

I don't subscribe to various behaviors that cast westerners in a bad light. I try to conduct myself in a respectful and non-offensive manner.

What others choose to do, is not under my control and I am happier with that mindset.

Best wishes to all.

No way in he!! the current authorities will ever allow anything like Pattaya in their country! Are you kidding?

I remember about 10 years ago I was on Phu Quoc island off the coast of southern Vietnam with a friend, a Vietnamese girl I knew from Saigon who had family down there. She was showing me around and said "Soon this will be the next Singapore." I wasn't impressed - and still, to this day, how many people have heard of Phu Quoc? - and thought to myself "This place is still 50 years away from being the next Koh Samui'', forget Singapore.

There will be no Pattaya-style city in Burma in our lifetimes, unless you are 2 years old.

I have been on Phu Quoc many times and always enjoyed it a lot. There are very few girls so to speak and the few there are expensive. One does not go to Phu Quoc for human company only for solitude. Nice, but not spectacular beaches and some nice scenery but again, nothing spectacular. Phu Quoc is a, by VN standards heavily militarized zone for the protection of Phu Quoc from the claim that the island belongs to Cambodia. Historically it does and most likely some day it will be again. It is much closer to the Cambodian shores than VN. As for the next Singapore..............never even come close.

"and most likely some day it will be again [part of Cambodia]"? That's wishful thinking. I don't think so. It will remain part of Vietnam - Cambodia is in a much weaker economic and geopolitical position than Vietnam, they lost half their territory in the lower Mekong to advancing Vietnamese (Saigon used to be known as the Cambodian port of Prey Nokor) and that was like 400 years ago? Given that history, fat chance that Phu Quoc will be returned to the Cambodians. So what if it's only 15km from the Cambodian border...by that logic should we also say that because Saigon is only 220km from Phnom Penh (or 80km from the Cambodian border) but 1700km from Hanoi that makes it any less a Vietnamese city? Come on...

Anyway, you are right about one thing: the claim towards becoming the next Singapore...dream on, I'd say.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I live in Pattaya and accept the good and bad that it offers. I hope that Myanmar learns from the good and bad apsects of Pattaya, (as well as other places), and becomes whatever the Myanmar people want it to become.

My time is limited and I choose to live life here on life's terms. When I can't do that, the world is a big place and I can move on.

Can you tell us what is good about Pattaya?
For a retiree such as my self:

Central location with access to U-Tapao Airport and Bangkok Airport

Easy access to highways for land travel for self drive

Numerous options for bus and other land transport

Relatively good roads with working signal lights and associated infrastructure

Excellent health care with multi-lingual staff and contracts with major health care insurers

Fraternal and civic organizations such as Rotary International, Skol, Kiwanis and two multi-culture Expatriate Clubs

Endless entertainment venues such as the aquarium, shooting ranges, go-carts, horseback riding and other venues not associated with the bar scene

Access to major, international grocery store chains

Local shopping options

A plethora of Thai and international restaurants

Banks that are familiar with the needs of foreigners and a favorable exchange rate (improving)

Numerous, local cultural sites such as Big Buddah, Mountain Buddah, Wats, etc.

Close access to Kho Larn, Bang Saray, Ban Saen, Jomtien, Sattahip and Rayong beaches

Multiple choices of cable TV companies to choose from

Excellent access to telecommunications, cell, etc.

Housing of all types and prices to fit varied budgets

A multi-national population and many nice and honest Thai people that I have met

Beautiful sunsets

Numerous friends that I have met

Safe, if one doesn't stagger about at 3am or flaunt ones wealth

A well organized Foreign Volunteer Police contingent (Personal experience interacting with them)

A multi-lingual local police force (They do more than just take money - personal experience)

Easy access to local civil officials when problems arise (Personal,experience)

Reliable electric and water supplies (much impoved over the past 18 years).

And much more...

Many of these are to be found elsewhere, but for me, it works living in Pattaya.

Living Life on Life's Terms

So to sum it all up: cheap girls and cheap beer.

Oh and BTW U-tapao airport? Except when Suvarnabhumi was closed in 2008 due to the protestors, when was the last time that airport saw any flights?

Probably not Burma. But Cambodia's Sihanoukville is getting there. I expect Angeles City in the Philippines isn't far off already.

Really? I've been to Snooky, I'd guess it's at least 50 years away from even being a decent tourist resort, forget being anything like Pattaya. Which isn't a nice tourist resort, of course, but has 100 times the Mod Cons that dumpy little dusty town does. Or ever will IMO.

Never been to Angeles but have friends who have been going since the 90's and they tell me it has always been a dump of epic proportions and always will be. Dunno myself because I will never go there. Ever. For any reason.

Lets face it; Pattaya is a true dump and a sex tourist haven. But it has world-class shopping, fantastic restaurants, huge, A/C shopping malls, 4 and 5 star hotels, etc....... you guys really see Cambodia or Burma or The Flips having all those things in one city which people would flock to by the tens of thousands? I don't.

You're obviously biased. SHV has some great restaurants, I remember going to an Italian restaurant with an Italian owner in full view, chatting to the customers (which is a rarity in Thailand) who made some fantastic spaghetti for only $3!

Phnom Penh has the same bar and sex scene as Pattaya, just not dozens of sois worth. There is some great food in PP too, but I agree not much in the way of shopping malls.

Pattaya's Central Festival department store and shopping mall is great, but it's an exact carbon copy of every other Central shopping mall in Thailand. Same chain restaurants (Fuji, McDonalds, Black Canyon, Starbucks, Santa Fe, Sizzler, Ichiban, MK etc. etc.) and supermarkets (Tops), fashion brands etc. Sure, that's a whole lot better than anything in Cambodia, but it's nothing special if you've been living in Thailand for a while.

Apart from these chain restaurants, what are the "fantastic" restaurants you are talking about in Pattaya? Kebabs, some poor re-creaction of an Italian restaurant down on beach road, or the hole-in-the-wall place next to soi 6? That food is far from "fantastic", but everyone has different tastes and is entitled to their opinions.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

I don't wish to get into a debate whether Pattaya is a good or bad thing, I wish to simply answer the OP's question.

Places like Pattaya aren't simply created by some Real-Estate developer or Town Planner.

They happen because of a catalyst.

In Angles City, the nearby Clark Airforce base,

In Pattaya the U-Tapao Base,

The service personal desire some entertainment and relaxation and the rest is history.

They were the initial drivers but once an area gets a reputation, another market emerges and you have Angles City and Pattaya as we know them today.

Both places are about 2 hours from the Capital City, so a relatively easy commute for tourists.

Pattaya has flourished because many Thai also like to visit. Sure, you mightn't see them on Walking street, but they do holiday there.

Pattaya will continue to grow and, believe it or not, one day it may become, in part, a Family destination due to the number of tourist Attractions which are populating the outskirts. The 'Red-Light' feel maybe be modified a little, but while the demand for that maintains, it too will flourish.

I've been to both ... Angles City is a dump.

That's my take on the OP ... though I'm sure others will differ.

So, to the OP, look for an area which has the same attributes as I described above.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hilarious replies in this thread.

I checked with concern the lists of members who liked some of these posts and was relieved when I saw no known and respected username in them!

LOL

Keep the moralist-puritan comments coming!

Although... I'm not disagreeing that Pattaya could be made to look nicer.

Maybe they could turn koh larn into a nice Sentosa.

Edited by manarak

I checked with concern the lists of members who liked some of these posts and was relieved when I saw no known and respected username in them!

LOL

Interestingly, you have not yet answered the OP.

What is your considered opinion?

Obviously we will learn something ... rolleyes.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I live in Pattaya and accept the good and bad that it offers. I hope that Myanmar learns from the good and bad apsects of Pattaya, (as well as other places), and becomes whatever the Myanmar people want it to become.

My time is limited and I choose to live life here on life's terms. When I can't do that, the world is a big place and I can move on.

Can you tell us what is good about Pattaya?
For a retiree such as my self:

Central location with access to U-Tapao Airport and Bangkok Airport

Easy access to highways for land travel for self drive

Numerous options for bus and other land transport

Relatively good roads with working signal lights and associated infrastructure

Excellent health care with multi-lingual staff and contracts with major health care insurers

Fraternal and civic organizations such as Rotary International, Skol, Kiwanis and two multi-culture Expatriate Clubs

Endless entertainment venues such as the aquarium, shooting ranges, go-carts, horseback riding and other venues not associated with the bar scene

Access to major, international grocery store chains

Local shopping options

A plethora of Thai and international restaurants

Banks that are familiar with the needs of foreigners and a favorable exchange rate (improving)

Numerous, local cultural sites such as Big Buddah, Mountain Buddah, Wats, etc.

Close access to Kho Larn, Bang Saray, Ban Saen, Jomtien, Sattahip and Rayong beaches

Multiple choices of cable TV companies to choose from

Excellent access to telecommunications, cell, etc.

Housing of all types and prices to fit varied budgets

A multi-national population and many nice and honest Thai people that I have met

Beautiful sunsets

Numerous friends that I have met

Safe, if one doesn't stagger about at 3am or flaunt ones wealth

A well organized Foreign Volunteer Police contingent (Personal experience interacting with them)

A multi-lingual local police force (They do more than just take money - personal experience)

Easy access to local civil officials when problems arise (Personal,experience)

Reliable electric and water supplies (much impoved over the past 18 years).

And much more...

Many of these are to be found elsewhere, but for me, it works living in Pattaya.

Living Life on Life's Terms

So to sum it all up: cheap girls and cheap beer.

Oh and BTW U-tapao airport? Except when Suvarnabhumi was closed in 2008 due to the protestors, when was the last time that airport saw any flights?

I suppose if one uses cheap arithmetic, the sum would equal that equation.

Yes, U-Tapao airport. Bangkok Airways has scheduled flights to Kho Samui and Siem Reap and I've flown twice. Discovering what what doesn't know puts one back into perspective of learning.

LOL

Interestingly, you have not yet answered the OP.

What is your considered opinion?

Obviously we will learn something ... rolleyes.gif

Well, the limits of OP's question are well defined: the "new Pattaya" and "in Myanmar".

I don't know Myanmar much, but in my opinion, a "new Pattaya" won't happen there.

A town like Pattaya needs several things, such as infrastructure, i.e. distance to major airport should be less than 150 Km, and it needs a reason besides sex for attracting people, for example if a beach resort exists. The area around Yangoon is too swampy for any beach resorts within 150 Km, and I don't see the other places having much appeal.

So... no go.

• 6 months later...

pattaya is maybe the fastest-growing city in the world, 50 years ago only a few 1000 people, now close to half a million, maybe already bigger than chiangmai. thousands of sexworkers from all over thailand arrive here every year, to make big money with the foreigners, it is surely the biggest beachfront-brothel in the world, with far more than 1000 (thousand) bars ,10-20 available girls each (up to 100 ), within a few kilometers.
but pattaya is much more, beautiful islands, dozens of golf-courses and luxury hotels ,hilton, sheraton,at least 7 huge shoppingmalls with dozens of movie-theaters, hundreds of internat. restaurants and attractions, like worldfamous botanical gardens, zoos,waterparks, viewpoints, excellent hospitals, hundreds of foreign magazines, newspapers and tv-programs, and endless entertainment and cultural sites. every thai from bkk, who can afford it, has a second home in pattaya. in 50 years, when bkk will be under water, p. will be the next capital of thailand.
myanmar will never have anything like pattaya, not even in 100 years, because the wonderful pattaya is unique in the whole world.
angeles city is maybe the closest, (maybe 10%) but not on a beach-
sihanuk offers not even 5% of pattaya ,exept some nicer and cleaner beaches.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Maungmagan Beach

if dawei deepsea port / special economic zone becomes reality Maungmagan Beach will be a total uncharming place, probably (I hope not) polluted too.

anyway, I hope all Pattaya heads stay in Pattaya and leave Burma alone.

but as Burma prostitutes-catering-to-westerners (*) are at least 2x/3x the price of a Thai bg, and since most Pattaya mongers like "cheap", I think a major influx of sextourists will not happen any soon.

add to that that prostitution in Burma is (as it is in Thailand) illegal and in many places it's very risky to get involved...

(*) not talking local AIDS-infested dens near the highway catering to truck drivers...

• 4 weeks later...