Currency issue

JasonFieber

Hey all,

I'm just wondering...if you open a savings account at Bangkok Bank in BKK w.o. a work permit and all that....could you hold your deposits in the currency you gave them?  I've heard of some banks holding your account in whatever local currency was depostied.  I was wondering if any other members knew anything about this..maybe a personal experience.  I was wondering because I know that you cannot take out more than 50,000 B, but there are no rules on the amount of foriegn currency taken in/out of LOS.  Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason,

Any foreigner can open a foreign currency deposit account you only need your passport to apply, no work permit needed.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok....ult.htm

This will give you all the details, but the interest rates are not very good .

Not sure about the limit of 50,000 baht going out the country I thought it was a lot higher than this, nearer 500,000  but I could well be wrong .

Bah! Bigger amount can be taken out if you ask for Travellers Cheques, they are available in USD 1,000 as well. If you are a bit creative with your documention, the bank will accept air-ticket and/or iternary to issue T/C in higher amounts than the equivalent of THB 50,000.

I know that they issue 50 x 1,000 USD if the bank belive that your planned holiday are expected to be very expensive (luxury holiday for example).