Tefl: Online Vs. Classroom

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting on this forum, though it is not my first visit to the site. I have been rather zealously reading through the various posts for the last month or so trying to find answers to all of my questions without having to ask them, but there is one answer that has eluded me.

When a school is evaluating your qualifications, is there any differentiation between a TEFL certification aquired online and physical TEFL class attendance? I live in a rather remote location where online education is the only option available (post-high school, that is), and traveling weekly to attend classes is well nigh impossible for me. However, if I would be discriminated against due to an online certification, I would be more inclined to find some means by which I could attend an actual class.

I think that this website/forum is fantastic, and I truly appreciate the time that you informed individuals take to answer questions. Well, a storm seems to be coming in from the north, which will most likely be accompanied by a power outage, so I ought to send this before all is lost. Goodbye for now!

David

Hello, and welcome, drifter (may I call you by a shorter name?).

This subject of online TEFL courses has probably been covered before (perhaps it's lurking in the Qualifications topic at the top of our forum index). Of course, the general rule is that this is the sort of occupation that needs to be practiced, and online is not the best medium. Anything is better than nothing, and you could supplement the online course yourself.

I don't know where you live (Thailand, or overseas?). The main TEFL courses taught in Thailand number less than six well known companies, and many employers accept those courses. An unfamiliar name might draw suspicion or further inquiry. Still, anything is better than nothing, and I believe the top of this forum index advertises an online course. You might do your "practicum" though a school connected with your course, or by doing volunteer work in your community.

Good luck.

You will be discriminated against with an online cert and you will find it harder to teach than someone that's done an in class course. You may also find that some countries won't accept it due to lack of class hours and/or observed teaching practice (100+ class hours and 6+ hours OTP).

Still has PB says it's better than nowt...but then is it worth what you're paying?

In response to your question, PeaceBlondie, I live in Grand Canyon, AZ, USA. In case you are wondering if there is a city in Arizona called "Grand Canyon" which is not actually situated on the edge of the Grand Canyon, the answer is no. I do actually live in the Grand Canyon, which is why it would be so difficult for me to physically attend any class. The nearest town is 80 miles from where I live, and I have not been able to locate any institution there that offers TEFL certification.

In reponse to kenkannif's query as to whether or not an online certification would be worth the money considering the disadvantages that it suffers, there is an online certification available for 312.50 USD. That seems to be a fairly reasonable price, but then again, I'm not very educated on such matters. Is that in fact a good price?

As far as in-class work is involved, there is a small school here at the Grand Canyon which I am sure I could volunteer for, as they are always desperate for assistance. However, I will have to wait until our school year resumes in the spring.

Excuse me while I eat my words. The online certification that I referred to earlier is in fact a TESL certification rather than TEFL. Other than the obvious fact that S=Second and F=First, is the cirriculum much different? It seems like any language course would teach it's language as the student's second language, unless the student enters the course unable to speak any language, which is, of course, ridiculous.

In Thailand it's a foreign language as they rarely if ever use it or have to use it (second would be in like India where they use it a lot or for non-natives living in an English speaking country where they have to generally use it). It refers to who you're teaching, not those actually on the course.

Saying that most of those employers asking for a TEFL will accept a TESL although a TEFL has more relevance in Thailand.

As kenkaniff explained, ESL is typically for immigrants coming to a country like the USA, who will be immersed in an English speaking environment. EFL is for students who are not immersed.

Example: an ESL text such as the last one I used, is for immigrants learning how to get a driver's license in one of the 50 states, how to shop in an American mall, getting acclimated to the new country, etc.

I'd say that if you're looking for complete beginner jobs at the bottom of the bucket, it wouldn't make that much difference because those types will take literally anyone with a white face. Then, with a year or two of experience, the cert. itself starts to become irrelevant. I'd say worrying about the quality of your cert. matters more if you're trying to get one of the better low level or medium-level jobs right from the start.

LoL mate the problem with that is if you ain't got a clue you often don't last long....you run away! :o

It's best to know what you're doing when you go into the classroom....for your sake as much as the kids....and with online training....you won't I'm afraid.

Also you'd be surprised IJWT....I know many a teacher that took a TEFL years (in some cases 10 years plus) after teaching here....to better themselves (and often they'd actually been doing stuff wrong for many of these years) and make life easier for themselves....as well as their students.

I followed a link on the Thaivisa website to the Chichester College site, and it looks fairly promising. Is anybody familiar with this institution? Also, they guarantee job placement following completion of their TEFL course. Is it possible that they might set you up at a horrid job just to fulfill their promise? Finally, with a certification from this school, is there any sort of base salary I might expect? Thank you all so much for your assistance.