Waterproof roof?

I have visited many houses among friends here in Thailand and we all have one thing in common ... The roof leaks during heavy rain;-(

Is it possible to get one roof 100% waterproof down here in Thailand?

Someone who has experience and who can help?

I built a house a few years back which I hope I will not have a leak problem (or for me a sound problem)

Having lived in the area, which i liked, there used to be Thai's that would park their car nearby and play loud music (usually it was the Base that was the problem). Tried to reto-fit the house so it was sound proof ...helped ...but noise was still a problem...so sold the house.

Then I built a new house in the area knowing the roof area was a sound problem (Walls could be 10 feet thick, but the roof, just being tiles would always be a problem. SO ...the new roof was a double roof . First one was a flat concrete poured roof (not the concrete slabs with a slurry over it) AND then on top of that I put a standard sloped roof.

Hope it works (for a non leaking roof ...but has done the job re soundproofing)....so far it has....but then again the build is fairly new.

Anyway ...it's what I did because I noticed the same problem you speak of from many other people.

Edited by beachproperty

I had a leak problem for a while and had my workman up there shifting roof tiles about.

Eventually, gave up on that solution and he installed a new set of tiles along the ridge line. I don't remember the name of the system, but it has definitely worked.

It was reasonably expensive (by Thai standards) but works. No problem with leaks from heavy rains since.

The tiles seem to be made of some kind of metal rather than the standard ceramic tiles, and are firmly fixed along all the ridge lines.

Sorry, not there right now, but perhaps if you head into some of the DIY shops you can get the necessary info.

I had several Thai-styles houses built, living in the current one for some 6 years now. In all of them I had the roof tiles sprayed from the inside using expanding foam. This spraying forms a total seamless seal. The company is run by a German (?), is based in Pattaya and advertises in the farang newspapers. Not cheap but waterproof. Key item is to have it done after the roof tiling is complete but before any other interior work is done. Be careful to make sure the junctions at the eaves and corners are thoroughly filled with the foam, particularly where you may expect the prevailing wind during the rainy season i.e. from the SW.

I gues a lot of it depends on the climatic conditions of the place. For example for a place with heavy rainfall slanting roofs are better suited because it prevents waterlogs. And the roof should also be of good quality. I still remember our house(rented) at Ontario had a beautiful slate roof,http://www.rooflines.com/gallery/ which we all loved.

But I haven't seen such kind of roofs here in thailand.