How should i have handled this: bad service/scam

hellohello123

And please no smart ads comments!

Happened on a trip a few years ago

1. Caught a taxi back to the hotel in pattaya, was with a friend's friend (Thai girl from Bkk, and no not my gf or bar girl). She tells the taxi driver the name of hotel in Thai, agree on the price which was the same as when we got there (about 200baht). About a 10 min trip, about 5 mins later I Say to my friend "are we going in the right way? This doesn't look familiar", she talks to the driver and apparently he misheard her, and since its now further away fro. The destination, he wants us to pay 270 baht. I'm like <deleted>! Why the hell should I pay for your mistake when she spoke to you in Thai??? I know that ridiculously, in Thai culture, me losing m temper is a loss of face which does me no good. So we end up paying. In my country if the service provider makes a mistake, its their obligation to fix it at their cost

2. Ordered a whiskey and soda at a bar, drink arrived, I tasted it and it was whiskey and lemonade or coke. Apparently the guy in the next table had ordered a whiskey and coke/lemonade.

So the waitress took my drink back and brought the correct one. When I got the bill I had been charged for two drinks, I told them the error and they told me I had been charged because they couldn't sell/give the original drink!

<deleted>!!! Once again if I lose my temper I loser face. I don't recall what I did but I probably paid it as even though I am very stubborn on my principals, I don't want to get beaten up

So how should I have handled it and should I have been furious?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this was the worst scams that you recall from a trip a few years ago, you did ok.

Been scammed a lot more when Drivers in the USA know I am not familiar with certain areas and they take the long way...and I find out later.

You were probably scammed a lot more than that and didn't even know it.

Personally, I don't lose my temper, but I can be very caustic with words and questions and make them lose face without escalating the situation.

Edited by DLock
  • Like 1

Why does this almost always happens to someone with a female friend who is not a hooker?!whistling.gif

I have a theory that when someone goes to great lengths to point out the lady concerned is not a BG etc. they have already admitted to world that the young lady concerned is a hooker, its a defensive mechanism me thinks, certainly when the statements concerned have absolutely no relevance to the topic being discussed

bit like the posts on TV that start...."My wife/GF is a well educated non-EX BG, Hi-So Thai/Chinese Nuclear physicist and would like to know where to get a Thai drivers license BKK ? "

tongue.png

I actually thought it was fairly relevant because if it was a bar girl, she would just assume me being a rich faring, I would simply pay up.

if it was a decent girl, the probably would have handled it differently

I was also staying in a $150 per night hotel which I didn't deem relevant, but it was one of the better hotels in the area

• Like 1

Why does this almost always happens to someone with a female friend who is not a hooker?!whistling.gif

I have a theory that when someone goes to great lengths to point out the lady concerned is not a BG etc. they have already admitted to world that the young lady concerned is a hooker, its a defensive mechanism me thinks, certainly when the statements concerned have absolutely no relevance to the topic being discussed

bit like the posts on TV that start...."My wife/GF is a well educated non-EX BG, Hi-So Thai/Chinese Nuclear physicist and would like to know where to get a Thai drivers license BKK ? "

tongue.png

I actually thought it was fairly relevant because if it was a bar girl, she would just assume me being a rich faring, I would simply pay up.

I was also staying in a $150 per night hotel which I didn't deem relevant, but it was one of the better hotels in the area

You are missing Thailand aren't you?

• Like 1

tongue.png

You are missing Thailand aren't you?

Sort of! When I visit a country I'm try and learn all the ins and outs as best I can so future visits are just as enjoyable :)

It's cool. The memories are still fresh. They fade.

We all get scammed in small ways when we get complacent, even if we don't always know it. Just part and parcel of being a foreigner in Asia I guess.

You will be wiser next time you are back. Just don't buy gems, the temple never closes and jet ski's should never be rented....ever.

so you staying at THB 5k/night hotel and you getting yourself worked up over THB 70 a few years ago ?.... USD 2.0 or there about' s...whistling.gif

• Like 1

so you staying at THB 5k/night hotel and you getting yourself worked up over THB 70 a few years ago ?.... USD 2.0 or there about' s...whistling.gif

I don't like getting scammed period!

I'd rather have dropped a $20 note on the ground , then to be scammed out of $2

Had the taxi driver asked me for $2 for his sick buffalo , I would have given it to him

I guess it sort of relates to when I used to manage a restaurant,

The change from a bill was supposed to be $9, because I was busy, I accidentally, gave them $6 on the change tray

They quickly let me know of the mistake, and I apologised profusely and gave them $15 change, as I didn't want them to think I was ripping them off

They came up to me and said "appreciate your honesty" and left it all as a tip!

Its not really about the dollar value for me :)

• Like 2

tongue.png

You are staying in $150 hotel but whining about paying extra $2???

Had the taxi driver asked me for $2 for his sick buffalo , I would have given it to him

The change from a bill was supposed to be $9, because I was busy, I accidentally, gave them $6 on the change tray

They quickly let me know of the mistake, and I apologised profusely and gave them $15 change, as I didn't want them to think I was ripping them off

Its not really about the dollar value for me :)

Restaurant manager gives change? And stays in $150 rooms.

What's next? Hotel charges double for water?

Sometimes it's better to suck it up and say nothing. I learned that very quickly in Thailand. You get no where with losing you temper. It just makes you angrier and frustrated. You handled them well my friend

• Like 1

nobody likes getting scammed, but welcome to TIT, its a national sport here...so as suggested before get used to it and adopt the Mai pen Rai attitude or book your hospital bed....or in other words don't sweat the small things.

The Thai variant on this in some places would be not to say anything, pocket the money and then tell you haven't paid enough...wink.png

Had the taxi driver asked me for $2 for his sick buffalo , I would have given it to him....the ladies are going to love you...if I give you my bank account details can you send me some money I got a sick buffalo too..whistling.gif

Edited by Soutpeel

A clear case of Altzeimers ! Oi matey, we are in 2014 now, that happened years ago, wake up man !

I know you have sweet memories of Thailand really, they are in there, just look for them, come on now, concentrate, you can do it.

Funny about the drinks.

Last year my Thai partner and I were on a tour of Southern Germany. We stopped at an open air restaurant near a lake and ordered two drinks. Mine came first. We were sat at a large round table in the garden and a German guy arrived and sat on the other side as there were no spare places. I didn't mind. Then a waitress came with a drink and spoke with the German and gave him the beer. I didn't think anything was amiss, except my partner's drink was very slow. Afer about 30 mins I asked the waiter where the drink was. She spoke with the German opposite and the waiter told me it had been served to the German because she thought he was with us. The German said something to the waitress and the waitress said she would get me another. What a damned cheek. The German never even apologised or said anything. We told the waitress not to bother, paid for my drink and left.

And that is in efficient Germany, where they are supposed to have a brain. I think that the German may have done this often and more often than not got away with it. He looked quite normal for a German, but conmen often do.

Edited by Card

Just remember next trip Thais have a zero accountability when mistakes are made, They expect you to pay up and smile.When served an incorrect drink just drink it and be sure to let them know exactly what you want next round.

Its not really about the dollar value for me smile.png

Restaurant manager gives change? And stays in $150 rooms.

What's next? Hotel charges double for water? nah

,was thinking about stealing the

Nah, was thinking about stealing the towels from the hotels too!!

nobody likes getting scammed, but welcome to TIT, its a national sport here...so as suggested before get used to it and adopt the Mai pen Rai attitude or book your hospital bed....or in other words don't sweat the small things.

The Thai variant on this in some places would be not to say anything, pocket the money and then tell you haven't paid enough...wink.png

Had the taxi driver asked me for $2 for his sick buffalo , I would have given it to him....the ladies are going to love you...if I give you my bank account details can you send me some money I got a sick buffalo too..whistling.gif

Haha!!

I don't see this as a scam at all. It is just part of that wonderful Thai culture that we are always told that we don't understand.

Thais are never in the wrong, and will never admit fault so if you had to have another drink because of something that happened that wasn't the fault of the Thai person, then it is only fair that you pay for it....logical isn't it ??

• Like 1

Just remember next trip Thais have a zero accountability when mistakes are made, They expect you to pay up and smile.When served an incorrect drink just drink it and be sure to let them know exactly what you want next round.

Nah. I have been served white wine instead of red and refused it.

If I was served a drink and I tasted it and found it not to be the one I ordered, then on a bad day I would refuse to pay for it.

I was once served a flat glass of beer, which I assume had been opened for some time - completely flat. I told them I want another and to take it away. They said it was flat because it was cold!!!!!! I told them bullshit - I want a fresh bottle. I got one.

For the OP - just pay for what you ordered even if they present you with a bill for one that you didn't order. They don't want any hassle - then just walk away without giving them a tip. Why allow yourself to be pushed around through incompetence or worse?

• Like 2

My god.. slow news day or what........ however there is a bright side to this post and the other collection of the shared experiences where heinous crimes and inequalities have been occasioned... apparently the Nation Insomnia Council is now prescribing the reading of this post as mandatory front line treatment..... words to the effect of more powerful than any sleeping pill.......

2 years ago and we are whinging about 70 Baht <deleted>

Nah, was thinking about stealing the towels from the hotels too!!

Do you think it would surprise anyone?

By the way, what Internet dating site did you find your "friend" the non hooker? And did it ever occur to you that she told driver wrong name ?

Edited by Pralaad