Honda is making a luxury jet with really weird engines

Since there is no private aviation forum, I thought resident gear heads and petrol heads here would enjoy this new engine from Honda. I've called my Honda dealer to try to put down a deposit, but they don't know what I'm talking about. smile.png It's in the motor forum because you need to drive your Accord to get to your plane.

HondaJet_Engine_verge_super_wide.jpg

http://Honda is making a luxury jet with really weird engines

• Like 1

Since we're not talking automotive engines you'll forgive me I'm lost, What's weird about it? And while looking very smart and well laid out, how the heck do you get into the pilot and co-pilots seats? One has to be very youthful and limber from that point of view.

Ok so had to do some researching, don't think the "engines" are actually so weird though just their location and mounting. The pictures of the assembly plant didn't look to be Japanese though? It seems to be located somewhere else or at least it has very few Japanese doing the assembly from what I saw in the pic I could hardly see any? Mostly look American or European?

Edited by WarpSpeed

It is not so much a weird engine as it is a mounting configuration,

IMO

I would assume that there was inadequate clearance for an under the wing mounting, and they did not want to mount it inside the wing. so they mount it over the wing

A jet engine to close to the ground is in danger of ingesting ranway debris while taking off and landing

post-60134-0-57519100-1401114102.jpg

• Like 1

It is a mean looking little brute.. II was a bit surprised that the quoted cruise altitude was only 30000. Usually for bussiness jets it is much higher more like 45000. think I would have a bit of trouble getting my wheelchair in though.

Piaggio is a beautiful aircraft, jet engine performance at prop costs, plane itself is not cheap, 6M new, second hand can be around 1.5 at the lowest, but very very efficient, and low cost to run

It is a mean looking little brute.. II was a bit surprised that the quoted cruise altitude was only 30000. Usually for bussiness jets it is much higher more like 45000. think I would have a bit of trouble getting my wheelchair in though.

This is only designed for short hauls, hence why the lower altitude is more efficient.

They are coming out with a larger model soon