Chalong Bay Rum - distilled in Ao Chalong

cloudhopper

Hi this was being pushed by the distributor I buy European beers from at a tasting party, where it was nicely served in the form of a Mojito, so I ordered a bottle to try. Except for Bloody Marys I typically drink good booze neat or with water, not mixed with Coke or juice. I am not a rum connoisseur by any means and my usual is Mount Gay, but my first impression after a few neat sips was "thermometer just wiped with rubbing alcohol". Has anyone else tried this stuff?

I'm also a Mount Gay rum drinker. Chalong Bay rum is cheap and nasty. Should be marketed as a cleaning product.

second that

Tried it at a small fishing tournament in Rawai they were a sponsor, my friend said it reminded him of turpentine, i said that was an insult to the good people that make turpentine.

They won some sham award, the price is to high compared to the quality of the drink.....

I mentioned the lack of smoothness to one of the owners, he was not too happy! They are selling on a fair trade style thing, whereby the sugar cane is paid at a 'fair price'

• 3 years later...

Just hang this thread back... Should have read before buying a bottle at 680,--THB at Foodland for trying some Mojitos.

It's bad, really bad...has a bad side taste and smells like check Thai whiskey. No way of tasting more than 4cl for a single Mojito with this stuff. How can they win a Gold Medal for this stuff?

Leave your fingers away from this and spend your money on better rum!