Thailand coup leaders suspend constitution

webfact

Is it save to travel to Thailand I have ticket for 28 May what shall I do?

Pack your forest green/jungle confusion camouflage outfits. It's an emerging fashion statement in Thailand these days. Helmet and jackboots may not be optional - check with your uniform/fashion advisor.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Democracy is great when all parties abide by its peaceful methods. Well done to the army whom i hope can reestablish a basis for democracy in thailand. May the Thai people be able to live in peace and harmony again and be free from fear of voilence by those who do not wish to abide in peace.

Signed: General Prayuth Chan-ocha, Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Thai Army (and Chairman of Army United Football Club)

YAY time to try to rewrite things to suit yet again....

If you cant win ... cheat

Or to stop cheaters continually winning by cheating. There should be section in the new constitution in which should be clearly stated whoever is caught bullying political opponents, bribing and cheating their way into politics should be automatically banned for life. I guess that leaves current red side of the political spectrum without a single suitable candidate. If this country is ever to move forward now is the time for complete and exhaustive cleaning.

How do you define bullying opponents or cheating?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is it save to travel to Thailand I have ticket for 28 May what shall I do?

The country is safe -- just be polite and you will not have problems. Read up online about scams in jewelry and jet skis, but you will find Thais to be generally very sweet and kind people.
go to Laos instead

So a military junta can suspend the constitution, but a democratically elected government can't touch it!

"welcome to the jungle".

Obviously can be modified through the barrel of a gun. Forget buying the people, whoever owns the army, owns the constitution and the country.

• Like 1

In 2006, the army didn't write a new constitution. They took the 1997 constitution and made some changes. It seems that they have decided that they didn't make enough changes.

... sent from my phone.

Who cares????????

In a few weeks the Dollar and Euro will be skyrocking again.

I love this country.........

Don't count on it. Didn't happen 2006, in fact the oppostie happened, and I suspect the Baht will gain value again this time. I wish it were the other way around, but not likely.

In 2006, the army didn't write a new constitution. They took the 1997 constitution and made some changes. It seems that they have decided that they didn't make enough changes.

... sent from my phone.

Constitution? What this constitution? We no need no stinkin' constitution.

... sent from my phone.

Britain does fine without one. All u need is guiding principles and rights.

Not sure Thailand understand that.

Or to stop cheaters continually winning by cheating. There should be section in the new constitution in which should be clearly stated whoever is caught bullying political opponents, bribing and cheating their way into politics should be automatically banned for life. I guess that leaves current red side of the political spectrum without a single suitable candidate. If this country is ever to move forward now is the time for complete and exhaustive cleaning.

So in your view who should support the people in the rest of Thailand from the interests of those in Bangkok. What makes you believe that the yellows or any other colour have any more honest politicians? Corruption is widespread from government ministers to shopkeepers!

The reason why countries are poor is because of official corruption. Corruption in Thailand had long predated Thaksin. Thus obsession with Thaksin is disingenuous. What puerile fear is the loss of power to the North. Corruption Is just an excuse.

• Like 2

Now, you can all see how mad they are Thais in general that is, it could be the climate certainly not their brains.

I predicted exactly this yesterday in my post, not one other did.

Lets hear some educated analysis , and less spoof here , thanks.

oh common, everybody with the slightest knowledge of thailand knew this was gonna happen for at least 2 weeks... i'll probably get censored again, Thai-coup-style, but what is TVF? A bunch of frustrated/braindead (ex-)sextourists "living the life" who have never (and never will) understood thailand, its people, its politics, etc. the only thing they know is:

1/ Leo

2/ Barfine

3/ Sawasdee Crap (sic intended)

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

I'd censor you simply for your bad English grammar, spelling and punctuation. But listing only Leo under (1/) and omitting obsessing on football really are in bad taste (not to mention applauding your own post).

... sent from my phone.

By Britain, I assume you mean the United Kingdom. If what you say is the case, then you'd better have the CIA change their United Kingdom World Factbook page because they have its "Government type" listed as a:

constitutional monarchy and Commonwealth realm

Of course, the CIA has been known to be wrong on occasion, hasn't it?

Incidentally, who or what is this 'u' thing? I'm from Rio Linda. Also, it looks like the Thailand World Factbook page will (temporarily?) have to be changed as well to a 'military monarchy' or 'Prayuth's Private Country' some such.

Edited by MaxYakov

... sent from my phone.

By Britain, I assume you mean the United Kingdom. If what you say is the case, then you'd better have the CIA change their United Kingdom World Factbook page because they have its "Government type" listed as a:

Incidentally, who or what is this 'u' thing? I'm from Rio Linda. Also, it looks like the Thailand World Factbook page will (temporarily?) have to be changed as well to a 'military monarchy' or 'Prayuth's Private Country' some such.

Max, I take your point but it is a fact the UK has no written constitution or 'bill of rights' Where the heck is Rio Linda? Cheers

Max, I take your point but it is a fact the UK has no written constitution or 'bill of rights' Where the heck is Rio Linda? Cheers

We can start with the Magna Carta and go to the Constitution of the United Kingdom. It appears to me that the UK constitution is not only written, but it is quite voluminous. But you are the expert on this matter are you not? Are you a UK citizen? Because if you are ...

Ok, you complete the sentence.

Edited by MaxYakov

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Never in a million years could I have seen this coming cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Like I stated in a post yesterday the only way suthep and abhisit could get back in power is to come in behind the tanks like the last time wink.png Of course this time they risk an all out civil war .

So does this mean North and South? Like Viet Nam, Korea, and China?

What happened to a Nation? Hey it even happened in American History..... clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Kerry

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Never in a million years could I have seen this coming cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Like I stated in a post yesterday the only way suthep and abhisit could get back in power is to come in behind the tanks like the last time wink.png Of course this time they risk an all out civil war .

On the contrary, the actions that have been taken are to prevent a civil war...!!

We can start with the Magna Carta and go to the Constitution of the United Kingdom. It appears to me that the UK constitution is not only written, but it is quite voluminous. But you are the expert on this matter are you not? Are you a UK citizen? Because if you are ...

Ok, you complete the sentence.

I am British, and a non-practicing holder of a three-year LLB, during which I studied Constitutional Law extensively.

I can categorically state that the UK does not have a written constitution ... and indeed, even the link which 'emilymat' provides makes it clear that the constitution comprises of numerous statutes, associated documents, judgements and treaties, but no single constitutional document.

The link specifically states that this is expressed as an "uncodified" or "unwritten" constitution...!

• Like 1

Thanks GeorgeO

I was just going to reply exactly the same that the British 'constitution' is simply the sum of laws and principles dating back to 1215. There is no written one that encompasses all of this, such as the USA constitution, which can be amended, as it often has.

Why sarcasm has to enter this forum I have no idea.

Went about my business today.

No long lines at Tesco, or at ATM machines.

got my laundry. Picked up some snacks.

So far its just an extra day off wai.gif

I'll let you guys go back to your whining. whistling.gif

Thanks GeorgeO

I was just going to reply exactly the same that the British 'constitution' is simply the sum of laws and principles dating back to 1215. There is no written one that encompasses all of this, such as the USA constitution, which can be amended, as it often has.

Why sarcasm has to enter this forum I have no idea.

Disgusting isn't it? I'll petition self-appointed Thailand [title pending] Gen Chan-ocha to launch a TVF sarcasm-elimination task force (in the interest of Peace and order Maintenance, of course). Hmmm. "fairness" should be included in there somewhere one would think.

Edited by MaxYakov

can you imagine an American General 'Suspending the Constitution'? maybe in a US TV series but this is 'supposed to be' REAL LIFE

I thought Binjalin was trolling and being facetious but, maybe not so I am going to answer the questions quickly off the top of my head.

#1. Compare US to Thailand-- yes.

#2. Eric Holder.

#3. Nepotism? Rampant in US.

#4. I don't understand the question. But, perjury is common.

#5. Bill Clinton convicted perjury and pardoned. Ford pardoning Nixon.

I might add a few other practices of a mature western democracy; tapping phones,using taxing arm of gov't to suppress opposition parties, selling weapons to drug dealers, and way more stuff.

And various billionaires in th US are always trying to interfere with the US Constitution. (trying to change the 2d amendment)

Just sayin', oc

You are being silly if you think there is any comparison between Thailand and the US. I'd advise you to look at some statistics. The US is way ahead in almost every respect: standard of living, honesty, lack of corruption, etc.

Just try living in Thailand for a while and you will realise what lying and self-deception really mean. No western country comes anywhere close.

Binjalin asked a sensible question: can you imagine a US General suspending the constitution? And of course you can't. Western countries have proper democracies. Thailand hasn't. Thailand's 'democracy' is a joke. This country is like a kindergarden. No-one abides by rules or democratic decisions. The legal processes are all bound up with 'who you know'.

The country is doomed, most especially because some misguided people think that the 'answer' lies in Suthep or the military. Actually the answer lies in democracy, but that has never really been tried in Thailand.

Try telling above nonsense to 60 million plus Americans who are officially poor. Try living in one of numerous American ghettos , the USA is not a democracy, it's plutocracy, both parties are owned by the rich and they serve the rich, try talking about fairness to many millions who were screwed by the U.S banksters and their cheating schemes....By the way, how many of those Wall Street crooks ended up behind the bars? Who eventually bailed the banks out? A taxpayer. Double blow. Wake up and smell the coffee. The U.S has become a joke of the country. Incidentally, no one forces you to live in Thailand. If you don't like it, you are free to leave, aren't you? Find a better place to live.

I am British, and a non-practicing holder of a three-year LLB, during which I studied Constitutional Law extensively.

I can categorically state that the UK does not have a written constitution ... and indeed, even the link which 'emilymat' provides makes it clear that the constitution comprises of numerous statutes, associated documents, judgements and treaties, but no single constitutional document.

The link specifically states that this is expressed as an "uncodified" or "unwritten" constitution...!

I would advise you to continue your "non-practicing" status indefinitely. Unlike what another Constitutional Law studier (alleged) and current USA President has done.

The term "no single constitutional document" was not mentioned or is even pertinent to the discussion.

BTW, by definition, uncodified is not the same as unwritten. Can you give us an example of a modern-era case in the UK where justice was determined/dispensed by an official court based on unwritten law?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by MaxYakov