Land border at Nong Khai closed

My wife called Mae Sai border immigration and they said business open as usual. They were surprised when mentioning the Nong Khai border was closed and didn't know anything about it.

I am supposed to be going to the Thai consulate in Vientiane on Monday. I have the over night train booked to Nong Khai for tomorrow night. Any chance that the border will be open again on Monday?

I may be wrong, but with curfew in place, you may find that night transport doesn't happen at all.
Edited by paz
  • Like 1

may be wrong, but with curfew in place, you may find that night transport doesn't happen at all.

That's a good point, they mentioned that travel to airports wasn't a problem if you had tickets etc but an overnight land train? Definitely needs clarification.

I am supposed to be going to the Thai consulate in Vientiane on Monday. I have the over night train booked to Nong Khai for tomorrow night. Any chance that the border will be open again on Monday?

I'm in the same boat, except that I'm supposed to fly to Udon Thani on Monday and cross the border at Nong Khai Tuesday morning. I guess that's out. Non-refundable flight, too. Oh, well.

Does anyone know whether it's business as usual at the Thai consulate in Vientiane? If I can get there via a flight into Laos, will they issue me my Non-Imm ED visa on schedule? Any chance I won't be allowed to re-enter Thailand by air, even with a valid visa?

I cannot predict anything about the border crossings being closed or open.

There will be no changes at the embassy in Vientiane.

Since you will have a visa you will have no problems entering the country.

• Like 2

Does this also mean that anyone attempting to leave Thailand by Thai registered car, even though temporary would be denied exit? Obviously Thai passengers would be denied exit, but foreigners normally would only be denied re-entry under these circumstances. I wonder how they'll treat a resident foreigner driving his/her car, or a friend's car (with permission) out of Thailand to Laos for a few days or up to a month, which would normally be permitted.

Just saw a picture of a blue Toyota Fortuner, Thai registered that was taken this morning, located past the line of army soldiers at the checkpoint before immigration on Facebook. Made a comment to my friend that that car has probably been allowed to cross unless a few metres down the road it gets denied permission.

Anyway doesn't seem like the best time to do any overland travel involving Thailand and neighboring countries right now, whether you are Thai, a foreigner, are driving a Thai car or are using public transport.

• 3 weeks later...