Having a beer with the security guard at my apartment

KarlosInBKK

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my questions are - what do you think they thought of a farang and a Thai security guard drinking together?

If you do just after you move in, there's less chance of them putting a razor blade in your tire when you accidently park in 'their' space.

I reckon the Thai residents will not be that impressed with the security guard. He is supposed to be working. Yeah, they all fall asleep but drinking is a bit of a no-no for a security guard.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

They were probably envious wondering how can a guard communicate with that farang in English.

There's a building on my walk that I often see the day guard coming back to have a beer with the night guard, harmless IMO especially now since they don't have any soaps to kill the time.

I sincerely hope most of the negative responses were meant to be sarcastic - if they were sincere then you folks have to loosen up a bit. They shared a couple beers, big deal. What a bunch of up tight, namby pamby old ladies.

what would happen in your job, if you where drinking on the job ?

• Like 1

A Thai sharing a comment.

You are a down to earth person (my compliment) but you have to keep a distance in order to earn a respect from anyone whom you make an acquaintance with in Thailand because the longer you have become friendly, the guard may get too comfortable and may lose your respect. Let that be the first and the last, and if you would like to have beer with the guard again, do it when he is off duty so that you would not look bad to other residents and the guard may eventually get in trouble for drinking on duty.

Thanks for that BrooklynNY. Good insight and good advice.

encouraging someone who is working to drink on the job, you do know the guy could get fired don't you ?

Yeah I was concerned about this and still am a little. I hope he doesn't get into trouble for it. He was the one that asked for the beer then asked me to sit with him so my encouragement was minimal.

Let me guess, you also did a very deep Wai when you first met him didn't you ?

No! Surprisingly, the security guard is not a monk!

I would opt for an alternative. Drink with him if you wish, but not when he is at work and not when he is in uniform.

As for the base and tasteless comments about Boy Bars, pumping, etc., everyone is free to say or think what they want. However, the test of ones' intelligence is often proven by the absence of comment.