International community slams coup

Lite Beer

The 'international community' are concerned for themselves and the potential for instability in a key ally in the region. I do not think the protestations have much to do with an overwhelming desire for democracy.

Added to which I doubt that many countries have a true understanding of what is going on here nor do they care further than how it benefits them.

As for Thailand, how can you have democracy when free speech is so hampered. If you know there is corruption you dare not speak out for fear of reprisal or imprisonment. The lese majeste law is not just used to shield the monarchy, for which there should at least be respect whatever your affiliation, but it is used also as a political tool which does not sit well with democratic principles. Then there is the defamation laws which prevent people exposing pretty much anything whether true or not for fear of criminal court proceedings. That does not promote free speech and is so much more draconian than simply protecting innocent people from public attack.

Thailand is a country surrounded in mystery, not because it is mysterious but because the truth is hidden in every quarter, it is a Thai trait that the truth should never be plainly stated but must be shrouded in a mist, nay fog, of misinformation and disinformation to hide the truth. The reason for this is that the truth does not fit with the image, not nearly, not at all. Huge corruption financially, criminally and throughout business and government is the norm but you are not allowed to expose it in case the apple cart is upset.

This is an imposition by people to protect themselves against the exposure of their deceit and theft of funds belonging to the country or others. It is a selfish, self serving shield that has nothing to do with benefit for the country. Laws should benefit society as a whole.

Given the whole game of smoke a mirrors to hide the reality that Thailand is a country run by factions entirely focussed on self interest and having no regard for the state, given the fact the international community is focussed on stability in the country for their own purposes with complete disregard for what is good for Thailand, perhaps Thailand is best ignoring the advice of others in this specific circumstance since it well understands deceit.

Given the complete disconnect between the foreign embassies and what is happening on the ground, even if the international community did gave Thailand's interest at heart, they have no clear understanding of what the reality is, partly because those in power don't want anyone to know how evil and corrupt they really are and partly because of the complete ambivalence of the foreign missions masquerading as embassies here.

Thailand is strangled by corruption, none more than was inflicted on it by the last government. It is strangled by idiocy of those in power who really have NO capability nor desire to run the country save to dream up ways to steal the country's finances by schemes that can be promoted as benefitting the poor (who are too uneducated to see the reality through the propaganda smokescreen), yet in reality benefit the people in government and their cronies.

Those in opposition are little better either, but social media is beginning to shine a tiny light into the black hole of Thailand's corruption. Scary to the politicians is that! Now Thais speak in terms of what colour shirt you wear and the hate speeches from the PTP and Suthep's gang have set people against each other. Why! For the benefit of Thailand? I think not, more to keep the gravy train of corruption Alive for the winners.

Driving the country toward civil war for personal gain is beyond evil, neither side prepared to back down in true Puu Yai style that epitomizes Thailand's social disorder. As bad as the coup appears through the fog to those foreigners who are blessed with an understanding of democracy, yet ignorance of the facts here, it is better than civil war and really the time had come for some rationale and action to stop further deterioration.

The hope now is that some sense can prevail and both sides start on the road to compromise and a government focussed on driving Thailand forward rather than driving the state funds into the private bank accounts of the politicians and their followers. Someone had to try to resolve the deadlock and it is sad that the leaders of either side were so greedy in taking all and their egos prevented democracy from finding a solution.

Maybe the Army can arrange a boot camp at the Army Club to teach the leaders and would be leaders the principles of democracy and good governance. That would be money wisely spent.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

a very good observation and conclusion in overall. I feel like that this Army General is keen for thourough reforms. He even takes on both sides which is a good sign.

I can only confirm about the corruptrion issues.

Not too long ago I was discussing about this with a rather infuential Thai (yellow) about this.

I told him how to reduce corruption in a relatively simple way. Flat out he told me, "yes, but nobody wants that really".

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can be totally sure that the US knows perfectly what it is going here...They just say what it is politically correct..

Just that.

Nothing to do with the TRUTH.

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 1

US should consider imposing higher tariffs on Thai export products to show their stand on disagreeing with the coup.

Yes that would crush them. With less then 1% unemployment here I have a very hard time finding staff. Factory's have exploded here over the last 10 years with the "favored import status" to the USA. Also the higher labor costs in China helped fuel that expansion.

So much rhetoric, huffing and puffing and meaningless comments from other countries. 'Gravely concerned' , 'extremely regrettable', 'need to ensure basic respect for human rights' - its almost like there is a box of phrases that diplomats and others can just choose at random. The international reaction illustrates one thing - the awareness of how Thailand thinks and solves problems in the rest of the world is so, so limited.

I think this coup must be almost unique in recent years - apparently no shots fired, while managing to get ALL the warring factions together, to be detained. ... and no doubt that the vast majority of the thai population and farang living here, think its a good idea. I can't think of any other country that is or has done the same recently.

The Army and Prayuth in particular have a genuine wish to see political, and economic reform. I don't believe they want to stay there any longer than is necessary. What they've done in less than a week is certainly better than the mess that has developed over the past six months. The rest of the world could learn something useful by observing the military carefully, instead of making inane and uninformed observations.

But to be fair, the world's media also seems bent on the 'shock and horror angle' - rather than more considered comments. I guess a bloodless coup doesn't have much appeal. Meanwhile here in deepest rural Nakhon Sawan the sun is still shining, the chickens are still crowing, there's still no rain, and nothing much has changed.

• Like 1

The 'international community' are concerned for themselves and the potential for instability in a key ally in the region. I do not think the protestations have much to do with an overwhelming desire for democracy.

Added to which I doubt that many countries have a true understanding of what is going on here nor do they care further than how it benefits them.

As for Thailand, how can you have democracy when free speech is so hampered. If you know there is corruption you dare not speak out for fear of reprisal or imprisonment. The lese majeste law is not just used to shield the monarchy, for which there should at least be respect whatever your affiliation, but it is used also as a political tool which does not sit well with democratic principles. Then there is the defamation laws which prevent people exposing pretty much anything whether true or not for fear of criminal court proceedings. That does not promote free speech and is so much more draconian than simply protecting innocent people from public attack.

Thailand is a country surrounded in mystery, not because it is mysterious but because the truth is hidden in every quarter, it is a Thai trait that the truth should never be plainly stated but must be shrouded in a mist, nay fog, of misinformation and disinformation to hide the truth. The reason for this is that the truth does not fit with the image, not nearly, not at all. Huge corruption financially, criminally and throughout business and government is the norm but you are not allowed to expose it in case the apple cart is upset.

This is an imposition by people to protect themselves against the exposure of their deceit and theft of funds belonging to the country or others. It is a selfish, self serving shield that has nothing to do with benefit for the country. Laws should benefit society as a whole.

Given the whole game of smoke a mirrors to hide the reality that Thailand is a country run by factions entirely focussed on self interest and having no regard for the state, given the fact the international community is focussed on stability in the country for their own purposes with complete disregard for what is good for Thailand, perhaps Thailand is best ignoring the advice of others in this specific circumstance since it well understands deceit.

Given the complete disconnect between the foreign embassies and what is happening on the ground, even if the international community did gave Thailand's interest at heart, they have no clear understanding of what the reality is, partly because those in power don't want anyone to know how evil and corrupt they really are and partly because of the complete ambivalence of the foreign missions masquerading as embassies here.

Thailand is strangled by corruption, none more than was inflicted on it by the last government. It is strangled by idiocy of those in power who really have NO capability nor desire to run the country save to dream up ways to steal the country's finances by schemes that can be promoted as benefitting the poor (who are too uneducated to see the reality through the propaganda smokescreen), yet in reality benefit the people in government and their cronies.

Those in opposition are little better either, but social media is beginning to shine a tiny light into the black hole of Thailand's corruption. Scary to the politicians is that! Now Thais speak in terms of what colour shirt you wear and the hate speeches from the PTP and Suthep's gang have set people against each other. Why! For the benefit of Thailand? I think not, more to keep the gravy train of corruption Alive for the winners.

Driving the country toward civil war for personal gain is beyond evil, neither side prepared to back down in true Puu Yai style that epitomizes Thailand's social disorder. As bad as the coup appears through the fog to those foreigners who are blessed with an understanding of democracy, yet ignorance of the facts here, it is better than civil war and really the time had come for some rationale and action to stop further deterioration.

The hope now is that some sense can prevail and both sides start on the road to compromise and a government focussed on driving Thailand forward rather than driving the state funds into the private bank accounts of the politicians and their followers. Someone had to try to resolve the deadlock and it is sad that the leaders of either side were so greedy in taking all and their egos prevented democracy from finding a solution.

Maybe the Army can arrange a boot camp at the Army Club to teach the leaders and would be leaders the principles of democracy and good governance. That would be money wisely spent.

You seem to know "zero" about the past coup leaders, what they got away with and how much money was stolen. Anytime a Gov. comes in and tries to change some of the laws you mentioned they get taken out by a coup as they gain too much influence with the people and "old guard" aren't comfortable with that. The current coup is nothing more than to "reset the clock" so they can continue to hold on to the old ways a little longer.

Also it is pretty niave to state that forienge governments don't know whats going on here. They have emabassys and consulates for that purpose which is part of thier mission to know and I suspect the people working there are more educated than you. But go ahead and cheer the coup on all you want, seems that is the only legal right we have here at the moment.

You may think the legal system is nonexistent with all the libel law you mentioned but in my past business dealing where I have have had to sue thai's I have yet to lose a case in court here. Fortunately I had well written contracts.

I was not a fan of taksin but things were pretty good here for me business wise while he was in power.

is there another banana republic except in africa, that has seen more military coups ?

time for the US to invade here, just need a good excuse ?

free the 200.000 forced prostitutes ?

And we wonder why Belgium ran without a government for so long. rolleyes.gif

You know what they all can't be wrong.

Take note of the overwhelming cry for democracy and elections ASAP.

It's about time that the elite yellows will just have accept the will of the thai people and not spit the dummy every time they get rolled at elections.

We all know the PTP will win in a landslide so the yellows should be asking themselves what can we do win over the people.

The coup is costing the Thais a lot of money and future possible investment and maybe soon even lives.

Some of the comments from these foreign countries bordered on humorous. The Sheila from Australia wouldn't know her arse from her elbow when it comes to Thailand.

You saying the coup is costing lots of money, future investment and maybe even lives, YET YOU FAIL to mention what all the shenanigans of the previous period cost. It's all been very damaging. Hopefully with a firm hand in the equation now lives might be spared, as opposed to the grenades exploding in markets and so forth.

Try stop pedalling ur little red bicycle and open your mind.

The International community ay. Some of those countries in the International community are far worse than Thailand at the moment. "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" comes to mind.

Many hypocrites indeed. There's always something shady going on behind the scenes.

Every developed country in the world and the majority of the country know what's happening. It's basically the entire world versus the Bangkok elites on this issue.

Getting a bit excited ? Back to reality Michael, back to reality.

Given the International Community's track record, I'd say the military can pretty much ignore any hot air coming from that direction and do what is best for Thailand.

Bravo, finally someone that sees it for what it is.

When it comes to the west, there's no shortage of douchebags, most of them corrupt themselves and they try to talk the talk but can't walk the walk.

like Thailand cares what "Farang" thinks.

A wonderfull sentiment. Except that they do care about farang money. So not caring what the farang thinks will hurt their bank accounts and that they do care about...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Great to see the world condemning the illegal action of the military leadership!

I hope sanctions will be introduced swiftly.

Thai resistance to the coup has almost started immediately yesterday and will grow in the next few weeks.

The Thai economy will suffer and this will bring more people into opposition to the junta and the puppets they will appoint as "civilian government "

Yes let's get a bunch of thieves back running things then they can scrap all the checks and balances, pardon all criminals for past crimes, whilst eating mouldy rice. Paradise??????

Be patient its happening as we speak, remember the coup is only a few days old it will take them a few weeks to clear the others from the trough before they can start linning there pockets!

The International community ay. Some of those countries in the International community are far worse than Thailand at the moment. "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" comes to mind.

Mr BSJ,

You are so right....it kills me how ,many ignoramuses are on this thread.

They are cheering the international condemnation of the military coup here....as if the USA

has never orchestrated a coup in a foreign country, or overturned a democratically elected

government simply because they didn't want to be "owned" by US corporations.

Iran 1953, El Salvador 1980s, Chile 1973.....and the list goes on and on.....

It makes me sick to hear John Kerry and any American talk about another country's

internal affairs as if they hold the standard......&lt;deleted&gt; LAUGHABLE!!!!

Given the International Community's track record, I'd say the military can pretty much ignore any hot air coming from that direction and do what is best for Thailand.

When it comes to the west, there's no shortage of douchebags, most of them corrupt themselves and they try to talk the talk but can't walk the walk.

Perhaps they should also ignore the massive capital outflow as international investors dump Thai stocks, put a firm hold on development plans, cutback production, warn about Thailand's economic future in the strongest terms. Yep, just ignore it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Great to see the world condemning the illegal action of the military leadership!

Thai resistance to the coup has almost started immediately yesterday and will grow in the next few weeks.

The Thai economy will suffer and this will bring more people into opposition to the junta and the puppets they will appoint as "civilian government "

Yes let's get a bunch of thieves back running things then they can scrap all the checks and balances, pardon all criminals for past crimes, whilst eating mouldy rice. Paradise??????

Be patient its happening as we speak, remember the coup is only a few days old it will take them a few weeks to clear the others from the trough before they can start linning there pockets!

Actually the attempt to pardon all the criminals (especially the biggest one) was what took the protestors to the streets and is the basic reason why we have had a coup. Also, it is highly unlikely that the army will ever reach the level of pocket-lining that the last mob reached.

Wanting sanctions imposed is another ill-thought-out suggestion. Sanctions usually hit the poorest sectors of society the hardest.

Thaksin once said 'the UN is not my father'. Well neither are the hypocrites - mainly in the west - that pretend to support democracy while having just finished demolishing it in the Ukraine.

Perhaps they should also ignore the massive capital outflow as international investors dump Thai stocks, put a firm hold on development plans, cutback production, warn about Thailand's economic future in the strongest terms. Yep, just ignore it.

Funny Pr, you weren't at least even interested when your dream team was running the joint into the ground. Now your just upset and hurt because your heros are confirmed zeros. It's funny how you waddle around making the noise to suit your case. so lame

Perhaps they should ignore the doomsday predictions of a biased farang and take a reality check.

The Baht hasn't moved in a week (Friday to Friday). The SET is down 9 points over the same week - around 0.6%. Many countries - especially Japan - will ignore the politics and just get on with their investment. I suspect they have a better environment now for investment than before the coup.

If GM thinks it can sell and export more cars from Thailand, will a coup stop them? It won't, barring an interference by the US administration in doing business in Thailand. Is this likely? Business trumps politics every time in the US.

Perhaps they should ignore the doomsday predictions of a biased farang and take a reality check.

The Baht hasn't moved in a week (Friday to Friday). The SET is down 9 points over the same week - around 0.6%. Many countries - especially Japan - will ignore the politics and just get on with their investment. I suspect they have a better environment now for investment than before the coup.

If GM thinks it can sell and export more cars from Thailand, will a coup stop them? It won't, barring an interference by the US administration in doing business in Thailand. Is this likely? Business trumps politics every time in the US.

TOKYO -- Honda Motor (IW 1000/29) said Friday it has cut production in its Thai plant by 40%, blaming a drop in demand, the day after the country's army chief seized power in a military coup.

So let me see, we have the USA (A TWO party system, telling the whole world how to behave), Australia (With the most disliked PM in the history), France (with its constant scandals) Germany (with a slightly tainted past and a PM that has been compared to Adolf) and Great Britain (which walks at the hand of the USA and does everything they tell them, even if there are no WMD! Even if their PM has to LIE for it! beatdeadhorse.gif ) that love to, as an axis wage wars on other countries, without a clear solution what the result will be or whom will fill the vacuum, telling Thailand how to go about it's business???!!!

Ok. Got it. cheesy.gif

Mind your own freckin' business! Yes ok, so there might be some sanctions. Good idea. That'll drive Thailand even more towards China. The WPFflags.gif Thai people have their own solutions for their own specific problems. 75% of the people wanted this coup. And now that it is without bloodshed, probably even more think its a good idea. Its inconvenient and not the way anyone would have liked it, including Gen. Prayuth, who is nearly up for his retirement, but hey, better than a civil war with all the weaponry that THIS FAILING GOVERNMENT WAS TRANSPORTING TOWARDS BANGKOK.

Let your Embassy staff stay in their lush offices cowboy.gif with air conditioners and live their lives (for only 4 years) behind the walls of their own compounds, locked away from the world. Driving to work in their luxury cars. But please don't tell me they KNOW what Thailand needs and should do, when its people are getting ready for a civil war.

TOKYO -- Honda Motor (IW 1000/29) said Friday it has cut production in its Thai plant by 40%, blaming a drop in demand, the day after the country's army chief seized power in a military coup.

Yes, I saw that report - it's in the Bangkok Post too. However your insinuation of a link to the coup is dishonest. Weak demand is the reason no doubt exacerbated by the protests and the end of the 'first car' scheme.

Now is a good time to buy a second-hand car after many 'first car' buyers had to discontinue their unaffordable repayments.

So let me see, we have the USA (A TWO party system, telling the whole world how to behave), Australia (With the most disliked PM in the history), France (with its constant scandals) Germany (with a slightly tainted past and a PM that has been compared to Adolf) and Great Britain (which walks at the hand of the USA and does everything they tell them, even if there are no WMD! Even if their PM has to LIE for it! beatdeadhorse.gif ) that love to, as an axis wage wars on other countries, without a clear solution what the result will be or whom will fill the vacuum, telling Thailand how to go about it's business???!!!

Ok. Got it. cheesy.gif

Mind your own freckin' business! Yes ok, so there might be some sanctions. Good idea. That'll drive Thailand even more towards China. The WPFflags.gif Thai people have their own solutions for their own specific problems. 75% of the people wanted this coup. And now that it is without bloodshed, probably even more think its a good idea. Its inconvenient and not the way anyone would have liked it, including Gen. Prayuth, who is nearly up for his retirement, but hey, better than a civil war with all the weaponry that THIS FAILING GOVERNMENT WAS TRANSPORTING TOWARDS BANGKOK.

Let your Embassy staff stay in their lush offices cowboy.gif with air conditioners and live their lives (for only 4 years) behind the walls of their own compounds, locked away from the world. Driving to work in their luxury cars. But please don't tell me they KNOW what Thailand needs and should do, when its people are getting ready for a civil war.

Yeah that's about 90% of what we loosely call "the free world". All the other emoticons, gifs and imaginary statistics you've inserted just make you look, well, stupid.

• Like 1

Dream on

The Army has a legal right in Thailand to take control of an incompentent & corrupt Government to safe guard the Thai peoples lives.

The resistance is a few paid Red demonstrators who will demonstrate against what ever they are told to.

Other than some shorter working hours in factories and shops life continues and without 30% tea money and less bribes to BIB who are now scared of being caught by the Army

Ok. Got it. cheesy.gif

In the midst of all your foaming you forgot to give some wild hyperbole to Japan and Singapore too. Thanks in advance.

Edited by celso
  • Like 1

Right on the money TWT, as far as I am concerned, yet just a month or so ago I was worried that the current government would be ousted by the PDRC and that this would be "undemocratic".

However the more I thought about it the more I came to a similar conclusion which you have elucidated very well above. True democracy is not known or practised in Thailand, just a bastardisation of it to suit whomsoever has the most clout or who who stands to make the most money.

To cut to the chase, what does one do when the elected government has proven to be so mindbogglingly stupid and corrupt?

I sincerely hope that the General has the best interests of the country at heart and will ensure that these corrupt politicians cannot get their noses in the trough again.

And whilst he's at it, perhaps he could seize all of the Shinawatra assets, ban them and their family from Thailand for ever, put in place even greater reforms that help people across the country and who knows, perhaps he could do for Thailand what Lee Kuan Yew did for Singapore under his "beneficial dictatorship" model.

You seem to know "zero" about the past coup leaders, what they got away with and how much money was stolen. Anytime a Gov. comes in and tries to change some of the laws you mentioned they get taken out by a coup as they gain too much influence with the people and "old guard" aren't comfortable with that. The current coup is nothing more than to "reset the clock" so they can continue to hold on to the old ways a little longer.

Also it is pretty niave to state that forienge governments don't know whats going on here. They have emabassys and consulates for that purpose which is part of thier mission to know and I suspect the people working there are more educated than you. But go ahead and cheer the coup on all you want, seems that is the only legal right we have here at the moment.

You may think the legal system is nonexistent with all the libel law you mentioned but in my past business dealing where I have have had to sue thai's I have yet to lose a case in court here. Fortunately I had well written contracts.

I was not a fan of taksin but things were pretty good here for me business wise while he was in power.

Well I wasn't talking about past coup leaders and I think my stance on corruption being endemic throughout society can be taken to include all. Since the PT were milking the country for all they could there is little that could be worse than that on a financial argument.

I was neither cheering the coup either, simply pointing out that the incompetence and dogmatic egotism of the two sides were leading the country towards civil war so really what could be expected as a result of that? I am quite happy with my level of education thank you and quite certain it exceeds that of most who work at the Embassy, there may, however, be a few old boys there.

As for the justice system I am well aware of the issue there going through it and still in it for several years prior and probably several years more. The laws are the issue more than the judges and the procedure rules are absurd. The point I made was that the laws curtail free speech which does not lend itself to democratic progress for which people need access to the truth.

Has anyone mentioned that it is not "The Army" that is responsible for the coup? After all Thailand is not strictly a democracy, is it? This is not a group of rogue central american colonels. It is a group of loyal army officers doing what they were "instructed" to do.

Germany trying to tell Thai army what to do is a joke, Germans killed millions with chlorine.!!

Germans love to scam and pimp Thai women especially that guy Gunther in Soi Cowboy

America showed balls going to Iraq and Afgan but are prickless when it comes to Boko Haram and they are trying to tell Thailand what to do - jokers!!

Run your own nation well well before being so arrogant to tell others what to do

Germany trying to tell Thai army what to do is a joke, Germans killed millions with chlorine.!!

Germans love to scam and pimp Thai women especially that guy Gunther in Soi Cowboy

America showed balls going to Iraq and Afgan but are prickless when it comes to Boko Haram and they are trying to tell Thailand what to do - jokers!!

Run your own nation well well before being so arrogant to tell others what to do

Mr. Ali, America is not "prickless" as you put it, however we do currently have a President who most definitely is prickless thumbsup.gif

Astonishing how much bullshit can be compacted in a one - page - report. The whole thing is a repetition of the western media reaction to the troubles in 2010. They haven't learned a thing. Thailand can easily be compared with Turkey, whose Prime Minister can safely rely on the millions of his analphabetic Muslim supporters just as Thaksin relies on his brainless red friends in Isan and parts of the North. The fact that he rules the country from abroad doesn't matter as he found a willing clone to do the dirty work for him. If the West doesn't understand that this is the real reason for the coup, so be it.

As a German national living in Thailand I receive regular advise from my embassy about what to observe under various political conditions. Not once has there been a political statement or opinion included.

The advisory alliance of John Kerry, Ban Ki - moon, a bunch of EU foreign ministers and (God help us) UN Human Rights Activists doesn't promise any useful solution for Thailands problems.

• Like 1