Mflu

costas

Hi all,

i was just wandering if anybody here has any inside knowledge/information on MFLU in Chiang rai.

Visited earlier this week, amazed by the campus, would like to know how it is to work/live there etc.

Thanks a lot

costas :o

I've never worked there but know people who have. There seems to be a high turnover of foreign teachers, partly because it's 15kms north of Chaing Rai and partly because of the management's usual Thai-style thoughts on organization and planning.

Hi all,

i was just wandering if anybody here has any inside knowledge/information on MFLU in Chiang rai.

Visited earlier this week, amazed by the campus, would like to know how it is to work/live there etc.

Thanks a lot

costas :o

I have heard bad things about that place. I have a friend who worked there and got out. He couldn't stand the rules. At one point they wanted his finger prints and wanted to store it on computer. They just said that all farangs had to do it for security reasons. I also heard that they made you do extra work outside your normal hours for no extra pay. I am only going by what I hear but one thing I do know for sure is that they have a high turnover of farang staff. Some of the good things that I have heard are that the students are a pleasure to teach and that getting access to materials and teaching facilities i.e computers, audio/visual equipment is relatively hassle-free compared to other universities. If you decide to work there, be prepared to commute 15km to get from work to the town (either that or live near the univeristy)

Mflu sounds like the latest form of influenza, but it doesn't look Spanish or Greek. How is it spelled, something like Mae Flu Lang univ.?? I'm serious, how do you say it?

Where do you want this topic posted, Costas: here in teacher's forum, or Chiang Rai? I think the CRai people might be more knowledgable.

Mflu sounds like the latest form of influenza, but it doesn't look Spanish or Greek. How is it spelled, something like Mae Flu Lang univ.?? I'm serious, how do you say it?

Where do you want this topic posted, Costas: here in teacher's forum, or Chiang Rai? I think the CRai people might be more knowledgable.

hello peaceblondie

its the mae fah luang university,named after the old queen mother

What a great review for แม่ฟ้าหลวง at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mae_Fah_Luang_University :o

-----------------

Mae Fah Luang University

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Mae Fah Luang University, situated in the province of Chiang Rai in northern Thailand, is named after the beloved Her Royal Highness the Princess Mother (Somdet Yah) of the current king of Thailand, Mae Fah Luang being the name given to her by the locals. It is an autonomous public university which was established on September 25th, 1998. Initially having only two programs, (English being one of them) it now has opened many more, including Business Chinese, Agro-Industry, and Traditional Thai Medicine.

Its extensive and beautiful campus is situated in Tambon Tasood, Mueang District and comprises mainly of hills and only a small area of flat plain. Construction took many years, as the campus was mostly built on hillsides, and was completed in 2004.

The university is striving to become an international institution, using English as the primary medium of teaching. However, this is being immensely hindered by the inadequacy of the Thai teaching staff and also by that of the students. Being a very new university, the top students in Thailand rarely choose to apply here. There are also too few native English-speaking teachers on the staff.

The last batch of western teachers left in 2005 after a scandal that highlighted differences between the traditional Thai and western approach to freedom of information. The vice-president in charge of public relations and a law professor were caught participating in a local child prostitution ring with other local businessmen. The president immediately turned off the Matichon newsfeed reporting this incident when he learned of it. A rigged reelection of the president, in which none of the foreign teachers were allowed to participate, due to lack of tenure and merit, soon followed. About this time, most of the foreign teachers that had been involved in managerial roles, began to be excluded due to dereliction of duties and lack of cultural respect. The remaining teachers are mostly missionaries, there being a handy Lighthouse Language Institute run by evangelical Christians at the foot of the hill. Not all but a few western instructors are still missionaries. Christian missionaries are known throughout Northern Thailand for possibly being associated with western governmental intelligence agencies, i.e., CIA, MI5, etc.

The highlight of the university is not its international curriculum. Mae Fah Luang University houses arguably the best Faculty of Chinese in the country. The entire teaching staff is from China and is chosen under the supervision of the Chinese government. The professors are from universities in China and usually teach there for 2 to 3 years. This is because of the good relations HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn has with the country. China has also built the Sirindhorn Chinese Language and Cultural Center on campus as a gift to Thailand, equipped with computers with Chinese programs and textbooks. The center is built to resemble a tradition Chinese house, complete with various courtyards, gardens, and a pond.

It currently has over 5,000 students in its undergraduate program.