Riding Gear for the Streets

wowjudo

Funnily enough, I saw one a few months back. With elbow and knee protectors and all the bells and whistles from gear heaven. He was riding a Fino.

I thought he must have lost his marbles. laugh.pngfacepalm.gif

For me its opposite. Everytime i see guys on scooters going at 80kmh or more without any protection gear i think they lost their marbles smile.png

If you come down at 80kmh the street will be the same, it doesnt matter if scooter or big bike. I often wear an armored jacket with back protector insert on my scooter. Since a guy on a Airblade crashed into my back with 50-60kmh i feel uncomfortable without back protector in the city.

My additional thoughts are: while riding gear such as leather or mesh jacket, gloves, boots, and the such will protect you from road rash should you take your bike or scooter down, my main concern are blunt object obstacles like a post, a pole, and those high curbs they have in Thailand. A good jacket won't protect you from blunt force trauma if you hit a pole, and even the best possible helmet will only protect you slightly. Like if you get thrown and end up going head first into a pole at 80 km/h that Shoei/Arai/AGV/Etc. helmet isn't going to miraculously save you.

I think hitting a pole at 80 km/h can be lethal even in a car.

As for the helmets hitting curbs and other objects that's indeed a concern and one reason why I think ratings such as UK's Sharp are relevant, even though some manufacturers say they don't mimic the real world. They probably mean not the real world of track racing.