California gunman 'was filmmaker Peter Rodger's son'

Lite Beer

A large segment of American gun owners have been manipulated into thinking that responsible gun legislation equates to the removal of all firearms from society and so they fight any and all attempts at legislation.

However, there are more and more gun owners who are sickened by the bloodshed of our young people as a result of this gun culture and who are attempting to restrict the availability of firearms...not remove all guns from society as some gunowners fear.

It is unfortunate that Americans have allowed special interest groups, i.e. the NRA (aka The Gun Manufacturers) frame the argument to suit their agenda.

If gunowners can be kept in fear, and there is a tremendous motivation of fear in many gunowners, that any restriction will snowball into the removal of all firearms, then they will fight any small attempt at reasonable solutions.

They see it as an "all or nothing" situation.

Its time responsible gun owners create solutions instead of just stonewalling the greater societies efforts to protect its innocent citizens.

Can you cite some specific instances where attempts by the "greater society" to protect its citizenry have been stonewalled by "responsible gun owners"?

Exactly what has the current administration done to advance the cause of gun control? Have they passed any legislation into law or are they actively enforcing currnent laws on the books?

Precisely what do you think should be done to curb the homicide by gun rate in the US?

Thank you for any response you might offer.

Two second response to your first question:

1) Failure to extend 1994 Assault Weapons Ban at expiration in 20004.

2) Failure to pass Obama attempt in the aftermath of Sandy Hook...to include strengthening background checks and limits on assault-style weapons.

I am not going to get into a pissing contest with anybody over gun rights. So I am not going to waste time answering all your questions. No disrespect intended but I have never met a gun owner yet who allows someone else to sway their opinion except maybe close family and hunting buddies. Any personal change is only the result of a gun owner initiating the thought process on his own based on his own priorities. My own priorities are that I don't like to see children die and in the last 20 years there has been a large increase in the death of children by gun violence. This indicates to me that gun owners are not being responsible as a community.

I will say it again because its an important point: the increase gun-related deaths amongst America's children and youth indicates that gun owners are not being responsible as a community.

Told the NRA to go to hell when they supported that rotten bastard Claude Lafayette Dallas and have had no use for the NRA since then.

One question for you: Name even one piece of gun legislation that the NRA has ever supported. I am talking legislation that placed curbs or restrictions on the gun-owner. Name one because I sure cant remember any and thats not just the result of a senior moment.

What answers do I have? I have some but most will take decades to make an impact. Since the expiration of the 1994 AWB millions of firearms and accessories have been manufactured and sold. Successful legislation cannot be measured in a year or ten. Its going to be a long process to turn the tide and that should be a worry to every parent & great-grandparent out there because that means this trend in gun violence is going to continue to increase for quite some time before it even peaks, let alone recedes. For immediate benefit, eliminate the loopholes that allow for straw gun purchases. Gunshows are still an easy route to buy firearms illegally. Increase review of FFL's to weed out the shops selling to gangbangers.

But like I said, I am not going to get into any time wasting discussions with guys whose talking points sound like bumper stickers from the 70's. If seeing 20 toddlers lose their lives at Sandy Hook doesn't give a man pause, then any words from me will be a waste.

I will suggest you read some of the statements made by Zimmerman's Attorney, Mark O'Mara. He is a gun-owner and a thought provoking reasonable man and he makes some good points on Americans and our Gun Culture. Read here: http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/02/opinion/omara-minnesota-guns/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

And if you are the one who said Liberals are dancing in the blood of victims in an earlier post then you should be ashamed.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A large segment of American gun owners have been manipulated into thinking that responsible gun legislation equates to the removal of all firearms from society and so they fight any and all attempts at legislation.

However, there are more and more gun owners who are sickened by the bloodshed of our young people as a result of this gun culture and who are attempting to restrict the availability of firearms...not remove all guns from society as some gunowners fear.

It is unfortunate that Americans have allowed special interest groups, i.e. the NRA (aka The Gun Manufacturers) frame the argument to suit their agenda.

If gunowners can be kept in fear, and there is a tremendous motivation of fear in many gunowners, that any restriction will snowball into the removal of all firearms, then they will fight any small attempt at reasonable solutions.

Its time responsible gun owners create solutions instead of just stonewalling the greater societies efforts to protect its innocent citizens.

Can you cite some specific instances where attempts by the "greater society" to protect its citizenry have been stonewalled by "responsible gun owners"?

Exactly what has the current administration done to advance the cause of gun control? Have they passed any legislation into law or are they actively enforcing currnent laws on the books?

Precisely what do you think should be done to curb the homicide by gun rate in the US?

2) Failure to pass Obama attempt in the aftermath of Sandy Hook...to include strengthening background checks and limits on assault-style weapons.

I am not going to get into a pissing contest with anybody over gun rights. So I am not going to waste time answering all your questions. No disrespect intended but I have never met a gun owner yet who allows someone else to sway their opinion except maybe close family and hunting buddies. Any personal change is only the result of a gun owner initiating the thought process on his own based on his own priorities. My own priorities are that I don't like to see children die and in the last 20 years there has been a large increase in the death of children by gun violence. This indicates to me that gun owners are not being responsible as a community.

I will say it again because its an important point: the increase gun-related deaths amongst America's children and youth indicates that gun owners are not being responsible as a community.

Told the NRA to go to hell when they supported that rotten bastard Claude Lafayette Dallas and have had no use for the NRA since then.

One question for you: Name even one piece of gun legislation that the NRA has ever supported. I am talking legislation that placed curbs or restrictions on the gun-owner. Name one because I sure cant remember any and thats not just the result of a senior moment.

What answers do I have? I have some but most will take decades to make an impact. Since the expiration of the 1994 AWB millions of firearms and accessories have been manufactured and sold. Successful legislation cannot be measured in a year or ten. Its going to be a long process to turn the tide and that should be a worry to every parent & great-grandparent out there because that means this trend in gun violence is going to continue to increase for quite some time before it even peaks, let alone recedes. For immediate benefit, eliminate the loopholes that allow for straw gun purchases. Gunshows are still an easy route to buy firearms illegally. Increase review of FFL's to weed out the shops selling to gangbangers.

But like I said, I am not going to get into any time wasting discussions with guys whose talking points sound like bumper stickers from the 70's. If seeing 20 toddlers lose their lives at Sandy Hook doesn't give a man pause, then any words from me will be a waste.

I will suggest you read some of the statements made by Zimmerman's Attorney, Mark O'Mara. He is a gun-owner and a thought provoking reasonable man and he makes some good points on Americans and our Gun Culture. Read here: http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/02/opinion/omara-minnesota-guns/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

And if you are the one who said Liberals are dancing in the blood of victims in an earlier post then you should be ashamed.

Haha, yeah that arguement and rationale thought goes no where when dealing with the Charleston Heston prominent forehead trisomy 21 or Mosiac Down types. The good ole Charleston Heston gene that makes one predisposed to owning a gun and declaring it will only be removed from my cold dead hands.

It wasn't me that made the remark so you might want to do just a tiny bit of research before trying to accuse somebody unjustly. Look it up and get back with whoever made the post.

You claim you made a two second response to my questions, then spent ten minutes telling me why you wouldn't make a response.

Now I shall make a real response.

1. How can the failure to extend the Assault Weapons (whatever they are) Ban be placed on the backs of "responsible gun owners"? The ban failed in Congress because the politicians voted against it, not the NRA.

2. Failure to pass Obama's gun controls after Sandy Hook was, again, the fault of your elected representatives of both parties. not the NRA or a very large segment of "responsible gun owners". This does bring up an interesting question, which I am sure you have no answer for. For the first two years of Obama's reign, his party had complete control of the legislative process. Why were no gun control laws enacted during this time frame? The NRA didn't have a vote then either.

Obama did, in fact, sign two pieces of gun issues during his first term in office. Here is a little background on that:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gun Laws Signed By Obama
In fact, Obama signed only two major laws that address how guns are carried in America, and both actually expand the rights of gun owners.
One of the laws allows gun owners to carry weapons in national parks; that law took effect in February 2012 and replaced President Ronald Reagan's policy of required guns be locked in glove compartments of trunks of car that enter national parks.
Another gun law signed by Obama allows Amtrak passengers to carry guns in checked baggage, a move that reversed a measure put in place after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now for just a sober moment to reflect on the mass hysteria caused by so called mass shootings. What happened in Sandy Hook was a reprehensible act by a demented psychopath and resulted in the deaths of 26 innocents and I personally condemn it in the strongest possible term.
Every effort should be made to insure people with these same or similar mental problems are kept away from weapons that can do harm to others.
One of the efforts that must be looked at is the patient/doctor relationship and the privacy matter. If a medical doctor diagnoses a patient as being of danger to the community he should be required by law to notify the authorities and the authorities should take appropriate action.
Another area of concern should be the violence being portrayed in movies and video games. Do you believe a Quentin Tarantino movie should be rated anything other than "X"? Watch "Django Unchained" for a classic example of the trash this guy makes and get back with us. Young people today are bombarded with shootings and murders and the glorification of it by the entertainment industry
Some people don't feel the NRA is the problem, they feel it is the so called elite in Hollywood.
By the same token, mass murders such as Sandy Hook and Columbine constitute a miniscule part total gun deaths. There have been a total of 335 deaths attributed to mass murderers since, and including, Columbine in 1999.
While the total is great and the impact on a victim's family is devastating, it should also be pointed out there were exactly 500 murders in Chicago in 2013 alone. With gun deaths making up 69.3% of total murders, it would seem Chicago's death-by-guns was in the 350 range for one year. Most of these shootings were drug related, crime related or gang related and were done with illegally obtained firearms.
We have plenty of gun laws on the books. What we need is strict enforcement of those laws on the local, state and federal level.
  • Like 2

Haha, yeah that arguement and rationale thought goes no where when dealing with the Charleston Heston prominent forehead trisomy 21 or Mosiac Down types. The good ole Charleston Heston gene that makes one predisposed to owning a gun and declaring it will only be removed from my cold dead hands.

Your post makes little sense. To whom are you addressing your rather juvenile remarks?

I find it in extremely poor taste for somebody with your self claimed upbringing, education and community standing to be so flippant about a serious childhood affliction such as Down Syndrome.

• Like 1

Not a single one of the perpetrators in this spate of recent shootings in the USA had what you would call a ‘ normal ‘ background? Time and time again what sticks out to me like a sore thumb is that there were clear warning signs about all these people involved in shootings in schools, shopping centres, etc, and now this guy if anyone had bothered to monitor them.

If the NSA can so easily pursue the communication patterns of ordinary mom-and-pop US citizens, why can't they watch people like this that seem to easily fall through the cracks? Would it be that difficult for the authorities to monitor someone who starts with unorthodox behaviour particularly when they are known to have access to firearms?

In this case the trigger for him to be placed on such a database should have been at least from the moment his parents contacted the police.

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

Your post makes little sense. To whom are you addressing your rather juvenile remarks?

I find it in extremely poor taste for somebody with your self claimed upbringing, education and community standing to be so flippant about a serious childhood affliction such as Down Syndrome.

Yeah, you are correct. Comparing the Charlton Heston types to someone with trisomy 21 is an insult to those with trisomy 21. Cold dead hands, cold dead hands, cold dead hands . . . Haha, who the heck talks this way and what recessive gene causes it is my question. Perhaps we could find a cure for the Charlton Heston types if we could identify the genetic source. Prominent forehead, recessed eyes . . . Maybe an xy axis issue as well as chromosomal.

I would say SSRIs would be a start, but we all know what happens when you give SSRIs to a Charlton Heston gun nut type - mass shooting.

Edited by F430murci

Yeah, you are correct. Comparing the Charlton Heston types to someone with trisomy 21 is an insult to those with trisomy 21. Cold dead hands, cold dead hands, cold dead hands . . . Haha, who the heck talks this way and what recessive gene causes it is my question. Perhaps we could find a cute for the Charlton Heston types if we could identify the source. I would say SSRIs would be a start, but we all know what happens when you give SSRIs to a Charlton Heston gun nut type - mass shooting.

Perhaps you could surrender your law license and take up psychology. Google can teach you what little else you need to know.wai2.gif

Yeah, you are correct. Comparing the Charlton Heston types to someone with trisomy 21 is an insult to those with trisomy 21. Cold dead hands, cold dead hands, cold dead hands . . . Haha, who the heck talks this way and what recessive gene causes it is my question. Perhaps we could find a cute for the Charlton Heston types if we could identify the source. I would say SSRIs would be a start, but we all know what happens when you give SSRIs to a Charlton Heston gun nut type - mass shooting.

Perhaps you could surrender your law license and take up psychology. Google can teach you what little else you need to know.wai2.gif

Nah, I think psychology is bunk unless you change the source. We need a genetic engineer to truly solve this problem.

All I have to say is this kid was a spoiled brat who couldn't get laid and its not the gun its the person pulling the trigger, pressing the gas pedal, and stabbing the shit out of everyone. Also if you hate the US gun laws DONT COME HERE.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

Ah yes, the old 'guns don't kill people, people kill people' argument.

Does it not occur to you, even for a moment, that if it was not so easy to legally buy a gun in the US then people like this 'spoiled brat who couldn't get laid' wouldn't be able to get hold of one and go on their shooting sprees?

All I have to say is this kid was a spoiled brat who couldn't get laid and its not the gun its the person pulling the trigger, pressing the gas pedal, and stabbing the shit out of everyone. Also if you hate the US gun laws DONT COME HERE.

Does it not occur to you, even for a moment, that if it was not so easy to legally buy a gun in the US then people like this 'spoiled brat who couldn't get laid' wouldn't be able to get hold of one and go on their shooting sprees?

Thank God they did not let him in at the sorority house.

Yep, wonderful gene pool here . . .

---------

NEW YORK -- An American conservative activist has written an open letter to the families of the shooting victims of Elliot Rodger, who killed six people in Isla Vista, California on Friday, telling them your dead kids dont trump my constitutional rights.

Writing in Barbwire, Joe Wurzelbacher, better known as Joe The Plumber, sought to confront Richard Martinez, the father of one of the six victims of the rampage, who gave an emotional press conference on Saturday claiming that it was the National Rifle Association and the craven irresponsible politicians" that were responsible for his sons death.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5398845/?ir=Politics&utm_hp_ref=nra

8 pages later, still disagreeing about all of this.

Better take a break from it and prepare for the next massacre.....it's due any moment now & then the discussion can start all over again.

I wonder how many innocent children are going to die in the next needless slaughter ? All is good though, as long as the men have bear arms.

Well, let's look at all that wonderful "campaign money" donated by the NRA to political candidates.

It must be up in the multi-millions for each election...right?

Wrong!

The National Rifle Association donated exactly $1,022,237 to political candidates running for a federal office in the 2012 election cycle.

This princely sum was donated to a total of 322 candidates with the largest single donation being $12,400, and the lowest donation being $500.

The NRA has already donated the grand sum of $487,152 in the 2014 election cycle so they are well on the way to buying yet another election.wink.png

By the same token, didn't a comedian named Bill Maher donate $1,000,000 to one single politician's campaign in 2012?

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/recips.php?id=D000000082&cycle=2012&state=&party=&chamber=&sort=A&page=1

Perhaps you should have scrolled down a bit a on the same website and noticed the amounts listed under the rubric "outside spending" where the NRA spent nearly $20 million, ranking #20 on the list of lobbying groups. The same website notes that the NRA spent $1.43 million in support of one political senate race alone, Pat Toomey ® of Pennsylvania.

Bill Maher's donation to a pro-Obama super-pac is a drop in the bucket to the amounts that, for example, the Koch brothers or Sheldon Adelson, donate to their preferred causes.

Be aware that US Federal regulations place strict limitations upon direct donations to political campaigns. That is not where you want to be looking.

+1

Better take a break from it and prepare for the next massacre.....it's due any moment now & then the discussion can start all over again.

I wonder how many innocent children are going to die in the next needless slaughter ? All is good though, as long as the men have bear arms.

Cold dead hand baby, cold dead hands!

Cold dead hand baby, cold dead hands!

Nothing matters, as long as the boys have dere guns and dere big boots and dere big hats ;)

Not being an American, you probably don't know just how easy it is to get a gun illegally.

None of the bad guys can get one legally yet they all have one or more guns.

Many of my friends own guns in the US. They leave their guns in a safe place in the house when they go to work or out at night.

None of their guns have ever escaped from their assigned safe places and killed anybody.

Yet again and again we have incidents like this where someone who owns their gun legally takes it from it's assigned safe place and uses it to go on a killing spree.

Yes, it is an unfortunate fact that those who wish to do so will always be able to get guns illegally; but proper gun control will go a long way to stop incidents like this from happening.

And incidents like the recent one where one child was playing with a legally held gun, which wasn't left in an assigned safe place, and killed another child with it.

Like far too many Americans, you obviously believe that your right to own a gun is more important than the life of a child.

As a father, I thank God I live in a country where the opposite view holds.

Not being an American, you probably don't know just how easy it is to get a gun illegally.

Many of my friends own guns in the US. They leave their guns in a safe place in the house when they go to work or out at night.

None of their guns have ever escaped from their assigned safe places and killed anybody.

Yet again and again we have incidents like this where someone who owns their gun legally takes it from it's assigned safe place and uses it to go on a killing spree.

Yes, it is an unfortunate fact that those who wish to do so will always be able to get guns illegally; but proper gun control will go a long way to stop incidents like this from happening.

And incidents like the recent one where one child was playing with a legally held gun, which wasn't left in an assigned safe place, and killed another child with it.

Like far too many Americans, you obviously believe that your right to own a gun is more important than the life of a child.

Like far too many non-Americans, you assume entirely too much.

Edited by chuckd

There are those also who believe their right to own a gun is an insurance policy against government officials and even some law enforcement officers who have a hidden agenda and simply can't be trusted?ph34r.png

And as a father being a responsible parent involves instilling the correct morals ( such as you don't kill women or anyone or anything just because you dont get your own way )and actually communicating with your children... and that has nothing to do with gun ownership ermm.gif

You stated (Had to remove) "I dont hate the US, only the gun control..............or rather lack of it." This paper used England as one of many glaring examples of the failure of gun control to change human behavior.

Table 2: Murder Rates of European Nations that Ban

Handguns as Compared to Their Neighbors that Allow Handguns

(rates are per 100,000 persons)

Nation Handgun Policy Murder Rate Year

A. Belarus banned 10.40 late 1990s

[Neighboring countries with gun law and murder rate data available]

Poland allowed 1.98 2003

Russia banned 20.54 2002

B. Luxembourg banned 9.01 2002

Belgium allowed 1.70 late 1990s

France allowed 1.65 2003

Germany allowed 0.93 2003

C. Russia banned 20.54 2002

Finland allowed 1.98 2004

Norway allowed 0.81 2001

Notes: This table covers all the European nations for which the information

given is available. As in Table 1, the homicide rate data comes

from an annually published report, CANADIAN CENTRE FOR JUSTICE

STATISTICS, HOMICIDE IN CANADA, JURISTAT.

This study points out that in the USA on average, almost 90% of all convicted murderers had an average arrest record of more than 5 felonies prior to being convicted of murder. By law they couldn't purchase a weapon legally (Gun control) but were able to obtain them through illegal means.

Gun control doesn't control the segment of the population that is the problem!

Norway allowed

You must be joking, guns are not allowed in Norway , only military and police can arm themselves when needed. Hunters can get a license for rifles, not hand guns.

And you can buy a gun anywhere in Russia . Doesnt matter if you ban or allow guns there.

Is it going to happen again, you bet, your last dollar, it will happen again.

Not getting laid is a ridiculous excuse : I lived in Ventura , just South of Santa Barbara, That area is full of Korean " massage " establishments.

Like far too many non-Americans, you assume entirely too much.

Too funny, the America versus non-American nonsense from someone that has not lived in the US for how long? Some things are just common sense no matter where you call home.

Edited by F430murci

You nailed the ENTIRE ISSUE with this one sentence. It won't be popular with the mentally ill gun lobbyists as they are like rabbits in a spot light..... blinded & not very intelligent.

We can only hope and pray that the gun lobbyists are the ones that start loosing their own children in the inevitable future massacres..... surely any person scooping up their own child's brains off the pavement would have to realise there's a better way.

I too am thankful that my home country was smart enough to put intelligent gun control measures in place, years ago. Well done Johnny Howard, well done !

Is it going to happen again, you bet, your last dollar, it will happen again.

Agreed. The probability is 100% !

Not getting laid is a ridiculous excuse : I lived in Ventura , just South of Santa Barbara, That area is full of Korean " massage " establishments.

It wasn't really about not getting laid. This spoiled little Pratt was one of the gunslingers and just couldn't wait to start popping people with his piece. Sickos with guns. Too weak to have a fist fight with people his own size. Coward.

Largest mass murder in the history of the US was pulled off by men with nothing more then a $5 utility/razor knife and a strong sense of conviction. No amount of bureaucratic bulls##t is going to stop anyone with that much conviction. YOU CANT LEGISLATE CRAZY!!!

I don't recall anyone talking about "legislating crazy". But not being able to legislate crazy and not being able to keep determined criminal minds from obtaining guns illegally is still not a valid logical argument for legislating more restrictive gun control laws.

By the way Mr. Patterson, I live here in the US as a lifelong citizen, and I hate the current gun laws, I am not going away, and I vote.