Winthai warns public against rallying, using social media to incite unrest

Lite Beer

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Without making a connection to anyone,.....

How about we, expats living in Thailand, just mind our own business and lay low for as long as it takes for 'them' to return Thailand to a peaceful place to retire in and a prosperous place for the people of Thailand to live in.

I know I will.

A lifetime can be a very long time...

Then if you don't like it ....move somewhere else!!

What a stupid comment.

The guy probably pays tax. He is entitled to an opinion.

Why don't you move somewhere else?

Outer Mongolia preferably

One of the many problems of DEMOCRACY are the unintended consequencies! Or were they unintended?

Ok, we also have lvr181 on record as not trusting democracy. Democracy is far from perfect, but so long as there are elections the majority can learn from past mistakes and make corrections. What other system offers that?

While your comment may be nice reading, it does not reflect the realities of the situation as applied to Thailand. Thaksin family ripped money out of the country and now his sister had tried to get him pardoned for that and it appears that corruption and cronyism was still rife, one election later! Therefore, there was no learning or corrections from two past mistakes. It would appear that the NCPO (with the backing of the King) will restart democracy with new rules, accountability, transparency and responsibility before trying "western style" democracy again. So a military coup is now the system that does offer the majority, relief from the past mistakes. Give it a chance. Democracy for Thai peoples was hijacked by greed. Many previous red supporters now acknowledge that, unfortunately many still don't. They are still the majority and may win the next election. But, hopefully, Government will be more accountable and responsible next time around under new rules.

I believe in and trust democracy, as practiced by most civilized western nations. But there are parts of the world where it has not been the success westerners expect of it. Sometimes, much to the disgust of purist democracy supporters, you need to start with a clean sheet of paper.

My post #142 was so I wouldn't have to keep repeating myself. I'll refer you to points 5 and 6, in particular:

"The reforms, when they come out, will have some window-dressing limits on elected officials intended to look like they will reduce corruption. However meaningful corruption reforms, such as transparency in the operations of the civil service, police and military, will be missing. The major reforms will be those intended to strengthen traditional institutions and protect them from democratically elected governments."

It's too bad betting is illegal, I'd love to make a wager on whether reforms will include transparency in government institutions.

• Like 1

Haha the democratic process??? What does Thailand know about such things. Can't be done in a normal way??? What an absurd comment! Just admit it people of Thailand. You don't have the fortitude to fight for a democracy. It took us in America a revolution, a civil war and two world wars to get and maintain our freedoms! What will you do for the same right? Protest in front of Terminal 21 wearing masks! Hahaha! Your version of democracy is just window dressing for a military dictatorship.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The so-called USA democracy, only allowed landowners to vote and women were not allowed to vote for over 100 years after that.

Yes, but democracy in the USA is based on a constitution with sufficient flexibility to evolve with the times. Democracy in the US is not perfect, and never will be, but is much better than it was. Of course democracy in the US was allowed to evolve without the setbacks brought on by military coups. I think the people in Thailand are intelligent and adaptable enough to make democracy work, if it weren't for those setbacks.

Haha the democratic process??? What does Thailand know about such things. Can't be done in a normal way??? What an absurd comment! Just admit it people of Thailand. You don't have the fortitude to fight for a democracy. It took us in America a revolution, a civil war and two world wars to get and maintain our freedoms! What will you do for the same right? Protest in front of Terminal 21 wearing masks! Hahaha! Your version of democracy is just window dressing for a military dictatorship.

The so-called USA democracy, only allowed landowners to vote and women were not allowed to vote for over 100 years after that.

Yes, but democracy in the USA is based on a constitution with sufficient flexibility to evolve with the times. Democracy in the US is not perfect, and never will be, but is much better than it was. Of course democracy in the US was allowed to evolve without the setbacks brought on by military coups. I think the people in Thailand are intelligent and adaptable enough to make democracy work, if it weren't for those setbacks.

Got a very friend in Burma. A retired geologist who had to work for the regime in the jungle. Caught malaria 3 times. No support on medication nor salary during his absences. He always repeated to me until 2010: "our country is unfortunately not yet rwady for democracy. We need more time"

He referred to the +130 ethnic minorities, the elite looking down, the army top having to hand over power (read: greed). Thailand is different. Here the people act so unbelievable juvenile. From politicians to persons in the street. The fight for Democracy (I fully agree with the American poster) is a battle. Not a gift. Obstructing elections in February was a historical error. See what we have got now. Mouths shut with camouflage colored duck tape, an international exposure lower then ever. And a handbook 'how to commit a take-over' dating back to the -50's forgetting people have access to most info. The protests now in the street have to be a surprise for the Power who ruined the struggle towards Democracy. Myanmar is ready. Thailand has thrown itself decades back. What a (officers)mess.

• Like 2

There is some very disturbing video on the Bangkok Post's webpage today showing a woman being forced into a taxi and taken away by unknown men, reportedly after giving a three-finger sign. There is a lot of comment on social media.

Edited by citizen33

Is there a listing of all the "orders" the NCPO has issued? Maybe they have a web-site or Facebook page?

I recently saw a reference to order #49, so assume there are at least that many. I assume someone is keeping track of all these order and directives?

Pol Gen Somyot also warned the owners of locations where anti-coup activities are planned that they could face legal action for aiding civil unrest under the National Council for Peace and Order's 49th directive.

Who owns Democracy Monument (closed until further notice for repairs) now?

And will Constitution Day still be a holiday this year (December 10)? Maybe just make a new holiday, "Coup Day"? Ok, maybe a two-week holiday then.

Really bad news. All admiring the coup: this is what happens in a totalitair (failed) state. People start disappearing because they have a POLITICAL opinion. How far can a generally friendly society sink.

There is some very disturbing video on the Bangkok Post's webpage today showing a woman being forced into a taxi and taken away by unknown men, reportedly after giving a three-finger sign. There is a lot of comment on social media.

I shall look forward to the apologists supporting that action.

Unfortunately with a Military Junta you have to be all in, 100% supportive regardless of any resulting actions. If they say one thing today, you have to agree with it. If they contradict that tomorrow, you have re-agree with it. There is no room for dissent.

What was surprising about that video is that no one appeared to aid what looked like two men abducting a woman, and a taxi driver facilitating the abduction. I can only assume that the gentlemen identified themselves as ISOC/Army/paramilitary and all those by-standers just assumed the best/worst?

Without making a connection to anyone,.....

How about we, expats living in Thailand, just mind our own business and lay low for as long as it takes for 'them' to return Thailand to a peaceful place to retire in and a prosperous place for the people of Thailand to live in.

I know I will.

That's all we are allowed to do here.

We don't understand because we're not Thai, we don't love the army because we're not Thai.

Remember all of the coups that came before this and now think of how they improved the country.

My wife is off giving Lipton Ice Tea to the soldiers up the road, I have decided to keep my mouth shut for the rest of the coup as it only causes stress in our relationship.

Remember we're not Thai so we couldn't possibly understand.

Actually, that's correct. Most of you don't understand - because you're not Thai. Can you once and for all please at least understand that?

There are westerners who have lived (not vegetated) in Thailand for longer periods of time, who are fluent in Thai language and who "see" the hearts of Thais and understand them. And they are considered Thai by Thai's themselves. But 99.99% of westerners in Thailand really don't understand Thais.

Ok, now here comes the "More Thai Than Thou" crowd...

The misguided ones,that seriously believe they are accepted as Thais! never in a million years!

• Like 1

Yeah! Let's hear it for fascism!

I hope and pray that everything will be okay for all Thai people rich and poor and that maybe one day they will treat each other with respect . Had the army commander organised his soldiers to be present at the polling stations in February ti allow Thai national to vote without fear from those who opposed the election we might not be in this terrible situation today the people would have voted who they wanted to be in Government but were denied there democratic right to do so and that to me is shameful

Yes indeed you have hit the nail on the head there. The question to be put to Prayith is if you love the country so much and want to see harmony, then why didn't you protect the constitution on Febuary 2nd?

• Like 1

I hope and pray that everything will be okay for all Thai people rich and poor and that maybe one day they will treat each other with respect . Had the army commander organised his soldiers to be present at the polling stations in February ti allow Thai national to vote without fear from those who opposed the election we might not be in this terrible situation today the people would have voted who they wanted to be in Government but were denied there democratic right to do so and that to me is shameful

Yes indeed you have hit the nail on the head there. The question to be put to Prayith is if you love the country so much and want to see harmony, then why didn't you protect the constitution on Febuary 2nd?

It would appear that "democracy" was hijacked by self serving greed and corruption. I am not convinced that this form of democracy should be "protected". Many Isaan people (home of many red shirt supporters) have supported the General's action because they have understood that they were being "ripped off". Why are people supporting blatant greed in the name of democracy? Did they have a financial interest? At least the General is now getting the farmers paid. The previous Government did not do that - regardless of what "reasons" people think it did not happen. Democracy is good IF people are not being blatantly ripped off, otherwise change the rules. Try again from a clean slate. Hopefully the NCOP will allow this to happen. Perhaps "utopian" democracy supporters should be aware of the realism of how democracy was being practised in Thailand and they should now butt out and let history take its course.

• Like 1

Ask the Shinawatra dictatorship. Did they request the military to act? Exactly.

The government was doing its best to avoid confrontation with the demonstrators and keep the military out of the situation, they were afraid the military were waiting for any pretext to stage a coup (why would they have thought that?). Had the government not been doing its best to reign in the more hot-headed redshirts there would have been a significant amount of violence.

Nothing prevented the military from offering to assist the police or from cracking down on their people who were working as bodyguards for Suthep demonstrators. Actually a statement from the Army that they stood by to assist the police in restoring order and that their would not be a coup would probably have done the trick.

And to add to HeyBruce's points, the EC could have asked for assistance when thugs were blocking access to polling stations and intimidating election staff. But they didn't ask for assistance. Why was that?

And to add to HeyBruce's points, the EC could have asked for assistance when thugs were blocking access to polling stations and intimidating election staff. But they didn't ask for assistance. Why was that?

Revisiting the past can be interesting, like remembering that the EC had asked the caretaker government for assistance which the government gave in the form of special police forces leading to some disaster in January. Plus an EC trying to convince the caretaker government to postpone the elections which according to Ms. Yingluck couldn't be done, followed by getting the right people together to tell her she shouldn't even do it if she could.

Anyway, I fail to understand what all of this has to do with the topic? Maybe it's because protesting with a Guy Fawkes mask is currently discouraged? The boyscouts three finger salute also being discouraged, I wonder if the Vulcan greeting will endure.

Live long and prosper,

Waving all fingers to you lot,

uncle rubl

Edited by rubl

Revisiting the past can be interesting, like remembering that the EC had asked the caretaker government for assistance which the government gave in the form of special police forces leading to some disaster in January. Plus an EC trying to convince the caretaker government to postpone the elections which according to Ms. Yingluck couldn't be done, followed by getting the right people together to tell her she shouldn't even do it if she could.

Anyway, I fail to understand what all of this has to do with the topic? Maybe it's because protesting with a Guy Fawkes mask is currently discouraged? The boyscouts three finger salute also being discouraged, I wonder if the Vulcan greeting will endure.

Live long and prosper,

Waving all fingers to you lot,

uncle rubl

Uncle,

I will help you a little with your understanding.

On Feb 2nd an election took place under the constitution, in fact an army-sponsored constitution. I think we can call it that.

Now the army says it is there to uphold the nation, religion and monarchy. And the constitution is the supreme law of the land that binds together those three pillars of Thai society and is paramount over all other laws, I believe.

Therefore it would seem to be the armies duty to protect the constitution if they were sincere in wanting to protect the pillars of Thai society.

So why didn't they do it in February when street gangs were preventing people the right to vote as determined by the constitution? Why didn't the EC call on the police and the army, as they had the authority to do so?

Why wait until May to post troops on the streets alongside police when it was needed in February to protect the constitution?

If the Army had shown their colours in February and guaranteed security at elections ( and look how easily they cleared the streets with the coup) then the elections could have gone ahead, the constitution upheld and the royal decree respected.

I posit many questions but I'm sure we know the answers already.

For many months we had people complaining about a possible coup. We had people complaining that the army should stay out of all of this. We had Ms. Yingluck and other Pheu Thai-ers suggest that the army should take over from the police, imagine! Abhisit slammed for using the army and Ms. Yingluck praised for asking the army while the police was on her side.

The army tried to stay out of it all, let the politicians cleanup their own mess. Well, that didn't help, so now we have the coup. Promptly people start complaining that we have a coup.

Those answers you knew already, now didn't you?

For many months we had people complaining about a possible coup. We had people complaining that the army should stay out of all of this. We had Ms. Yingluck and other Pheu Thai-ers suggest that the army should take over from the police, imagine! Abhisit slammed for using the army and Ms. Yingluck praised for asking the army while the police was on her side.

The army tried to stay out of it all, let the politicians cleanup their own mess. Well, that didn't help, so now we have the coup. Promptly people start complaining that we have a coup.

Those answers you knew already, now didn't you?

So, now we have a coup, and promptly people start complaining about the coup

It is illegal to complain about the coup.