Phuket police get help with talking to tourists

Lite Beer

Phuket police get help with talking to tourists
The Phuket News

PHUKET: -- The purpose of the meeting was to follow-up on tourist safety in Phuket, Phang Nga, and Krabi provinces and to confirm that local police will have the ability to video-conference with interpreters to better communicate with tourists.

Deputy Commissioner-General Pansak Kasemsan confirmed after the meeting that, because of the annual increase in the number of foreign vacation-goers, Tourist Police headquarters last year asked for a budget from the Tourism Authority of Thailand to hire more interpreters.

“Tourism is the main income of the country. We’ve set interpreter centers. Every province has some interpreters as well as the main center in Bangkok,” Lt Gen Pansak said, “we can ask the interpreters from the center to help the police in more than 1,600 stations to communicate with the tourists by using the conference system.”

Lt Gen Pansak added that, at the moment, 90 per cent of police stations are able to use the system.

“We are preparing at least six interpreters who can translate some of the main languages. Right now we have Chinese, Russian, English and so on. We are looking for people who can speak other languages to be ready for the ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) community too.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-police-get-help-with-talking-to-tourists-46452.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-05-25

• Like 1

less than 6% last time i checked

I really doubt there is any accurate imperical data that indicates tourism of 6% GDP.

Fess up gents.. We are proud Farang ATM's, are we not..... I say we are about hasip hasip for the GDP, and that includes bar fines etc. No Farang No Thailand.... Don't forget foreign aid and all.

How about improving the education instead? And get rid of the dubbing of non-Thai language movies in TV, which is much more expensive than subtitling? People from countries with where dubbing is common (France, Italy, Russia, Thailand etc) rarely gets exposed to foreign languages, and I think we know the results.

• Like 2

I thought these Police Volunteers were all supposed to be fluent in Thai or was that just more self-justifying nonsense?

One of their hackneyed defence arguments is how they ''help tourists solve problems with the local police'' etc. but I'm guessing that was just claptrap.

I thought these Police Volunteers were all supposed to be fluent in Thai or was that just more self-justifying nonsense?

One of their hackneyed defence arguments is how they ''help tourists solve problems with the local police'' etc. but I'm guessing that was just claptrap.

Nothing to do with 'Police Volunteers' - they are recruiting interpreters.

I think they should be enrolling everybody in English classes. After all English is the official language of ASEAN. The problem now is that Thais that want to learn English cannot afford the fees and those who can afford the fees are too busy stealing the money and see no need to improve their skills. How many leaders of nations are like Yingluck, her English was appalling. All police, especially in areas with high tourism should be speaking English. How long will it take for an interpreter to front up?

• Like 1

I thought interpretation was supposed to be one of their key functions so why the need for interpreters?

If you read the OP, it mentions the provision of interpreting services (via video link) in 1,600 police stations across the country.

In Phuket alone, there are dozens of police stations, so it would be impossible to station a foreign volunteer at each station, on the off-chance that a tourist needs language assistance.

Besides, we are not just talking about translating/interpreting between Thai and English. The OP mentions Chinese and Russian as well.

So a video-linked system seems a good idea for a nationwide system.

As for your suggestion that foreign police volunteers cannot translate/interpret in Thai, I would say that you are generally correct. Unfortunately, those foreigners who are competent in spoken Thai are rather thin on the ground, and of those who are competent, even fewer offer to work as volunteers....

Bring back Esperanto... :)

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Nothing to do with 'Police Volunteers' - they are recruiting interpreters

I thought interpretation was supposed to be one of their key functions so why the need for interpreters?

With the advent of ASEAN...they will need to say: "Give me all your money"...in many languages...

Bunch of twonks they are. Did you know that the volunteers get a share of the money seized when they help with a drug bust? More incentive to bust their fellow countrymen.

I think they should be enrolling everybody in English classes. After all English is the official language of ASEAN. The problem now is that Thais that want to learn English cannot afford the fees and those who can afford the fees are too busy stealing the money and see no need to improve their skills. How many leaders of nations are like Yingluck, her English was appalling. All police, especially in areas with high tourism should be speaking English. How long will it take for an interpreter to front up?

They are ALL taught English. It's part of the curriculum for the public school system. Even in the small villages. Maybe they just need to teach it better? The real reason their English is terrible is that they don't care and they don't want to learn English. My wife told me, she was taught English as a young girl in the village but she resisted. It made her angry. She thought "Why do I need to learn English? We speak Thai in Thailand." When I met her she couldn't speak a word of English even though she was taught it. Maybe they need to change their xenophobic attitude and get children interested in the outside world. The only problem with that is if their culture becomes influenced by the outside, it may no longer be the Thailand we know and love as tourists.

If you read the OP, it mentions the provision of interpreting services (via video link) in 1,600 police stations across the country.

In Phuket alone, there are dozens of police stations, so it would be impossible to station a foreign volunteer at each station, on the off-chance that a tourist needs language assistance.

Besides, we are not just talking about translating/interpreting between Thai and English. The OP mentions Chinese and Russian as well.

So a video-linked system seems a good idea for a nationwide system.

As for your suggestion that foreign police volunteers cannot translate/interpret in Thai, I would say that you are generally correct. Unfortunately, those foreigners who are competent in spoken Thai are rather thin on the ground, and of those who are competent, even fewer offer to work as volunteers....

Bring back Esperanto... :)

English IS nowadays Esperanto!
  • Like 1

"because of the annual increase in the number of foreign vacation-goers, Tourist Police headquarters last year asked for a budget........"

Eh hem, the days of annual increases in foreign vacation goers may well be at an end. For this year at least.

They are ALL taught English. It's part of the curriculum for the public school system. Even in the small villages. Maybe they just need to teach it better? The real reason their English is terrible is that they don't care and they don't want to learn English. My wife told me, she was taught English as a young girl in the village but she resisted. It made her angry. She thought "Why do I need to learn English? We speak Thai in Thailand." When I met her she couldn't speak a word of English even though she was taught it. Maybe they need to change their xenophobic attitude and get children interested in the outside world. The only problem with that is if their culture becomes influenced by the outside, it may no longer be the Thailand we know and love as tourists.

All Thai school kids speak English. Just ask them " How are you?" and you will get back the answer " I'm fine thank you, and you?".

They don't know anything else, but they'll all trot out that line regardless of how they actually are!

• Like 1

Tourist: "These jetski operators falsely accused us of damaging their jetskis then threatened us with knives and guns".

Interpreter: "Mao Khao Jai".

coffee1.gif

Norhing feeds the pessimist better than his own cooking.

Bunch of twonks they are. Did you know that the volunteers get a share of the money seized when they help with a drug bust? More incentive to bust their fellow countrymen.

Please furnish supporting facts that can be verified. Is this first hand experience or...?

Tourist: "These jetski operators falsely accused us of damaging their jetskis then threatened us with knives and guns".

coffee1.gif

Oh, of course the police aren't in on that one are they? ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

coffee1.gif

Oh, of course the police aren't in on that one are they? ;)

I really don't know as I don't spend time monitoring what they do. Please share first hand experiences.

So Foreigners Police Volunteers who do translation etc. are actually working, no mistake.

And if the police find out that you have no working visa, they will arrest and deport you. Unless you apply for a work permit,

which means at least 3 employees and a million baht need to be invested to do it legally.laugh.png

crazy.gif

^^ I'm sure you know how to use Google. I'm not dumb enough to rent a jetski in Phuket.

Edited by Chicog

Please furnish supporting facts that can be verified. Is this first hand experience or...?

Please don't take my word for it. Find out for yourself.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I really doubt there is any accurate imperical data that indicates tourism of 6% GDP.

Fess up gents.. We are proud Farang ATM's, are we not..... I say we are about hasip hasip for the GDP, and that includes bar fines etc. No Farang No Thailand.... Don't forget foreign aid and all.

I tend to agree with you. I think 6% is far to low. My personal best guess is about 20%.

I guess it depends on what you use as a measuring stick. If you are only using money collected from hotel rooms, from 2 week vacationers, then it would be low. But if you realistically use the money spent from all Farangs that are here, and come here, and all the spending from Thais as a result of this it would be much higher.

You can count the money a single guy would spend on a hotel room, and then at a restaurant and bar later, but what happens to this money? It goes to Thais who spend it on rent, clothes, and food carts. Generating more jobs and sales,.

Wealth generates more wealth.

Off-topic I know but:

Please don't take my word for it. Find out for yourself.

Funny that. Been working since 2005 as a police volunteer in Phuket, Pattaya and Bangkok. Never been on a drugs bust, never had to ticket motorbike riders, never received one baht in 'revenue'......

I tend to agree with you. I think 6% is far to low. My personal best guess is about 20%.

I guess it depends on what you use as a measuring stick. If you are only using money collected from hotel rooms, from 2 week vacationers, then it would be low. But if you realistically use the money spent from all Farangs that are here, and come here, and all the spending from Thais as a result of this it would be much higher.

You can count the money a single guy would spend on a hotel room, and then at a restaurant and bar later, but what happens to this money? It goes to Thais who spend it on rent, clothes, and food carts. Generating more jobs and sales,.

Wealth generates more wealth.

I believe tourism accounts for only around 6% of Thailand's GDP, but accounts for around 30% of employment, legitimate, or otherwise.

That's a lot of salary to working class Thai's, and food on their respective tables.

Edited by NamKangMan