Thais Are Heavy Drinkers, Starting Young, Says Doctor

george

Thais are heavy drinkers, starting young, says doctor

CHIANG MAI: -- Thai consumption of alcohol has risen as Thais are beginning to drink as early as the very young age of 11, Dr. Samarn Futrakul, head of the tobacco and alcohol consumption control group at Thailand's Ministry of Public Health said on Thursday.

The latest data from the National Statistics Office indicates that 18.6 million Thais now consume alcohol, with 7.8 million people in the main working ages of 25-44 being the heaviest drinkers, while 1.06 million children and teenagers aged 11-19 making up the second largest alcohol consuming group.

Northerners are the country's heaviest drinkers, making up 23.9 per cent of the population, Dr. Samarn told a gathering of health and legal experts discussing amendments to the country's alcohol consumption control laws.

More astonishingly, he said, the figures showed that alcohol consumption by Thai women has risen as well, and is tending to increase steadily, he said.

Dr. Samarn said new regulations controlling alcohol consumption has already been drafted, with essential articles stipulating tighter control on alcohol advertisements, rehabilitation programmes for those addicted to alcohol, and other measures both preventing and containing access to alcohol by youths and general public.

--TNA 2006-06-16

I HOPE YOU ARE ALL ASHAMED: I’m sure none of you remember the 15 year old Scottish girl, Alexandra Stark, killed in a road accident almost a year ago in July. You will not remember as im sure you have discarded the thought of her the way you all discarded her life when you commented on the news paper article about her posted on the forum. I was one of Alex's best friends, she meant so much to me, I cried for hours after reading some of the things people were so offhanded and inconsiderate about saying. However, by the time I was given the link to this forum, the topic had been closed and I could not post the things I wanted to say, therefore I am leaving my comments here as I am not going to let Alex's memory be tarnished in the way it was. Alex was one of the most amazing people I had ever met, and will ever meet, in my life. She was a top student at our school, headed towards becoming a doctor or Psychologist. Alex was such a dynamic person, who touched everyone she knew and made a lasting impression on them. However, her life and memory was mocked by the comments which were posted about her, we were disgusted. For example "In this case some poor judgement on the part of the parents with disastrous consequences ", "Don’t drink and drive, take a joint and fly!" "Well, what was this? Some little boob comes off her bike. I mean sorry and all that, but how many helmet less doe-eyed Thai teenies do likewise and don't qualify for a mention here" ENOUGH said. What was going through peoples minds when you are writing these things! Do you not feel sympathy for the family, would it not have been more appropriate to leave your thoughts of condolences rather than drag Alex's memory through the muck for her family and friends do read! I miss Alex every day, I wont forget the times we had together, I wont forget her last words to me two days before she was killed, I wont forget the last time I stayed at her house, the last time I ever seen her. The problem is all of you who absentmindedly posted your unexplored and inaccurate accounts of what you think Alex was like, did not appear to stop and think of the consequences of your words. So what I also won’t forget is this forum, or the things said about Alex and her family. Those harsh words cut everyone I know who read this. Did you all really think that it was alright to say these things?!?! Finally, I will say that when I read this forum I lost a lot of faith in this world. To think that I could be walking side by side with someone who may think of Alex as a "little boob" makes me sick. I know that tragedies like this happen all over the world every day, and with every tragedy comes a grieving family. You do not have to be particularly intelligent to realise these facts, but yet the compulsion to say the most disrespectful things was still in you. I pray that nothing like this ever happens to any of you, because if it did you would realise the seriousness of all your flippant and hurtful words. Next time think before you speak.

I can understand you feel hurt. But also understand as everyone deals with life in a different way, and they all deal with death in a different way too.

It is human nature to forget the bad memories and only focus on the good. As now so many have forgot the tragedy of 9-11 in the USA. It is a natural way of putting distancing between us and undesirable events or memories. Some use humor and some use sarcasm to put that distance. Some use anger and some seek some sort of vengeance. Others still focus on the happy moments to keep them alive in their hearts.

Old wounds are reopened when the bad memories come up, and anything can trigger them.

There is no wrong or right way to deal with death so you must accept it. If we don’t put the bad memories behind us, we will eventually acquire some form of mental illness. Don’t fault another if their method does not match yours. Unless they are some sort of crazed lunatic, they share your loss.

My thought would be to look at how she changed your life in positive ways, and keep her memory and spirit alive in your heart by continuing to move forward.

Don’t let her death take from you the lessons she taught you.

I HOPE YOU ARE ALL ASHAMED: I’m sure none of you remember the 15 year old Scottish girl, Alexandra Stark, killed in a road accident almost a year ago in July. You will not remember as im sure you have discarded the thought of her the way you all discarded her life when you commented on the news paper article about her posted on the forum. I was one of Alex's best friends, she meant so much to me, I cried for hours after reading some of the things people were so offhanded and inconsiderate about saying. However, by the time I was given the link to this forum, the topic had been closed and I could not post the things I wanted to say, therefore I am leaving my comments here as I am not going to let Alex's memory be tarnished in the way it was. Alex was one of the most amazing people I had ever met, and will ever meet, in my life. She was a top student at our school, headed towards becoming a doctor or Psychologist. Alex was such a dynamic person, who touched everyone she knew and made a lasting impression on them. However, her life and memory was mocked by the comments which were posted about her, we were disgusted. For example "In this case some poor judgement on the part of the parents with disastrous consequences ", "Don’t drink and drive, take a joint and fly!" "Well, what was this? Some little boob comes off her bike. I mean sorry and all that, but how many helmet less doe-eyed Thai teenies do likewise and don't qualify for a mention here" ENOUGH said. What was going through peoples minds when you are writing these things! Do you not feel sympathy for the family, would it not have been more appropriate to leave your thoughts of condolences rather than drag Alex's memory through the muck for her family and friends do read! I miss Alex every day, I wont forget the times we had together, I wont forget her last words to me two days before she was killed, I wont forget the last time I stayed at her house, the last time I ever seen her. The problem is all of you who absentmindedly posted your unexplored and inaccurate accounts of what you think Alex was like, did not appear to stop and think of the consequences of your words. So what I also won’t forget is this forum, or the things said about Alex and her family. Those harsh words cut everyone I know who read this. Did you all really think that it was alright to say these things?!?! Finally, I will say that when I read this forum I lost a lot of faith in this world. To think that I could be walking side by side with someone who may think of Alex as a "little boob" makes me sick. I know that tragedies like this happen all over the world every day, and with every tragedy comes a grieving family. You do not have to be particularly intelligent to realise these facts, but yet the compulsion to say the most disrespectful things was still in you. I pray that nothing like this ever happens to any of you, because if it did you would realise the seriousness of all your flippant and hurtful words. Next time think before you speak.

:o

some years ago my grandpa died, my grandmum is sick, the beloved parents or my wife had a car accident and died, but I don't bore other people with that.

I am sorry for you but why do you post that at a topic which has bascially nothing to do with it?

It's sad, but I see that it's very easy for youngsters to get cigarettes and alcohol... much easier than it was when I was young. Part of the problem with the lack of law enforcement is that kids can do whatever they want.

Unfortunately, what many of them seem to want is what they see their elders doing... drinking and smoking.

Question: are there any strong role models in Thailand? Perhaps footballers or other athletes??

It's sad, but I see that it's very easy for youngsters to get cigarettes and alcohol... much easier than it was when I was young. Part of the problem with the lack of law enforcement is that kids can do whatever they want.

Easier and easier for youngsters to get cigs and alcohol IMHO because society in the general sense does not care anymore and therefore kids have no fear of openly partaking in these activities.

So IMHO has very little to do with law enforcement, and more to do with the decline in the morals of the society we now live in.

Question: are there any strong role models in Thailand? Perhaps footballers or other athletes??

What you mean besides the Great Leader - sometimes lovingly referred to as Toxin?

Edited by TokyoT