Chiang Mai Farangs. The Most Unfriendliness Inhospitable Westerners In The World.

kozi

I am an Englishman with a Thai wife & daughter. We have resided in Chiang Mai for many years.

Since living here I have tried several times to acquaint myself with other Farangs in the city. No go as most just do not want to know. I have seen other Englishmen in my local market, but they just turn their backs and walk away. At one time in my local area post office I attempted to make conversation with another Englishmen who gave me a verbal insult and told me go away.

I am just an average 54 year old honest guy staying in Thailand living on a pension and do have many long standing Farang & Thai friends plus a good family life in Chiang Mai, so I am not specifically seeking to make new friends or form relationships, but do think that lifestyles can be enhanced if people can be neighbourly and socialable.

Most of this is an observation on my part. My wife believes that the reasons why many Farangs residing in Chiang Mai are so inhospitable is that most are either:

Sexual deviants, paedophiles, drug dealers, pimps, have no valid visas or are fugitives from their own countries. In other words, Iffy for one reason or another.

I have lived with British & Farang communities in many countries and must say that I have never experienced, such unfriendly and inhospitable behaviour as with the Farangs of Chiang Mai.

:o

Edited by kozi

I am an Englishman with a Thai wife & daughter. We have resided in Chiang Mai for many years.

Since living here I have tried several times to acquaint myself with other Farangs in the city. No go as most just do not want to know. I have seen other Englishmen in my local market, but they just turn their backs and walk away. At one time in my local area post office I attempted to make conversation with another Englishmen who gave me a verbal insult and told me go away.

I am just an average 54 year old honest guy staying in Thailand living on a pension and do have many long standing Farang & Thai friends plus a good family life in Chiang Mai, so I am not specifically seeking to make new friends or form relationships, but do think that lifestyles can be enhanced if people can be neighbourly and socialable.

Most of this is an observation on my part. My wife believes that the reasons why many Farangs residing in Chiang Mai are so inhospitable is that most are either:

Sexual deviants, paedophiles, drug dealers, pimps, have no valid visas or are fugitives from their own countries. In other words, Iffy for one reason or another.

I have lived with British & Farang communities in many countries and must say that I have never experienced, such unfriendly and inhospitable behaviour as with the Farangs of Chiang Mai.

Hi Kozy,

Sorry to hear that you have to go through that crap. Hang in there buddy. Sounds like maybe a change of venue is in order for you and your family.

Mike

Tacoma Washington

Funny - I find it pretty easy to meet foreigners in Chiang Mai, and I have never experienced anybody being unfriendly when trying to make contact - which is not often though, I must admit. If meeting other farangs was a prime objective I might have chosen to settle down in one of the beach resort towns instead.

But regardless of that, maybe you shouldnt give up so soon. :o

Your wife sounds like she needs to work a bit on her prejudice chart.

hmmm the time I have spent in Chiang Mai has been great ... always met decent frienly ex-pats ....

but I don't unsterstand your post ... you say you can't meet other farang ex-pats ... then you say you have many as friends ...

Granted .. when approached by other farang that are inrerupting me and my plans in some places like Phuket ... I am wary ... one too many idiots trying to sell me smoething or get something ...

Maybe your approach is too salemanlike ... maybe you just are off-putting ... or maybe it is "them" ... but if it happens often ... well you would be one of 2 common denominators ... 1) you ... 2) Chiang Mai

If other people don't have these issues then that eliminates Chiang Mai

Guest endure
Your wife sounds like she needs to work a bit on her prejudice chart.

Meadish, you are one of the most diplomatic people I know :o:D

kozi, what's your point here?

Chiangmai falangs just don't like you!

It's obvious that what you think "but do think that lifestyles can be enhanced if people can be neighbourly and socialable" isn't what the Chiangmai community of falangs think!

Inasmuch as you haven't had any problems, do us (Chiangmai Falangs) a favor, move back to where you came from........

She's must be a bright girl then.... :o

Or you are trolling...........

I appreciate that you are a Newbie on this forum so you may find this post interesting

If you regularly look at the CM Forum you will notice that we have pretty regular get togethers and go out for 1 or 10 beers. The last time was just last Sunday when Jockstar came to visit from BK.

Then a couple of months ago there was a Sunday Barbeque , I beleive there is another one planned for early July! Check the forum for details)

So if you want to join in then you would be most welcome..if you dont then you have nothing to complain about.

All but two of my Social Contacts up here were made through TV.Com and I have quite a few guys up here now that I would class as freinds.

People that we "Regular Piss-Artists" have never met before are always made to feel welcome, just ask Diablo Bob who came last Sunday with his lovely family, who had so much in common with Dustoff you would have thought they had been freinds all their lives !!

You get out what you put in.. and that applies to everything in life.

A long time ago there was a guy who was walking down the road when he met a Monk and stopped him to ask "What are the folks like in the next town" To which the Monk replied

"What were they like in the town you have just come from"?

"Oh they were a misserable ,mean spirited ,greedy, lazy and unfreindly bunch of people"

To which the Monk replied "Well you will find that they are pretty much the same in the next town"

10 minutes later the Monk was approached by another Man making the same journey

"Excuse me Sir..but what are the folks like in the next town"

To which the Monk replied "Well what were they like in the town you have just come from"

"Oh they were the most freindly, happy, generous, hard working ougoing bunch of people I have ever met"

"Well" said the Monk "You will find them to be pretty much the same in the next town"

I hope you get my point

Look forward to seeing you some time

TP

:D

kozi, what's your point here?

Chiangmai falangs just don't like you!

It's obvious that what you think "but do think that lifestyles can be enhanced if people can be neighbourly and socialable" isn't what the Chiangmai community of falangs think!

Inasmuch as you haven't had any problems, do us (Chiangmai Falangs) a favor, move back to where you came from........

I've never had any problem making freinds in Chiang Mai.

Maybe it's something to do with your personality? :o

Your wife is obviously the problem.

Get an affable Mia Noi, quick time, and your problem is solved. :o

Oh, and by the way, does your wife also put you in this category ?

Naka.

Edited by naka

I appreciate that you are a Newbie on this forum so you may find this post interesting

If you regularly look at the CM Forum you will notice that we have pretty regular get togethers and go out for 1 or 10 beers. The last time was just last Sunday when Jockstar came to visit from BK.

Then a couple of months ago there was a Sunday Barbeque , I beleive there is another one planned for early July! Check the forum for details)

So if you want to join in then you would be most welcome..if you dont then you have nothing to complain about.

All but two of my Social Contacts up here were made through TV.Com and I have quite a few guys up here now that I would class as freinds.

People that we "Regular Piss-Artists" have never met before are always made to feel welcome, just ask Diablo Bob who came last Sunday with his lovely family, who had so much in common with Dustoff you would have thought they had been freinds all their lives !!

Being a newbie to this forum myself (so far only active in the WC 2006 forum), I would be very interested in meeting up with a few of you lads in Chiang Mai when my Isaan-wife and I come for a visit in November. Our intention is to move permanently there (from Berlin) in 3-4 years time. Will keep my eye open for any planned get-togethers on this forum.

Your wife is obviously the problem.

Get an affable Mia Noi, quick time, and your problem is solved. :D

Oh, and by the way, does your wife also put you in this category ?

Naka.

Indeed, and I bet she thinks every one of her 60million-plus countrymen are stalwarts of society, too? :o

Edited by jackr

ISince living here I have tried several times to acquaint myself with other Farangs in the city. No go as most just do not want to know. I have seen other Englishmen in my local market, but they just turn their backs and walk away. At one time in my local area post office I attempted to make conversation with another Englishmen who gave me a verbal insult and told me go away.

Breath mints and deodorant might help... :o

One of the previous posters, I believe it may have been JD, suggested that you may come on a bit strong. I am really wary of Caucasians approaching me in Thailand as they are invariably trying to sell me a some timeshare crap or something equally stupid in the financial investment sector . . . and for some reason they all seem to be Brits.

Chiang Mai Farangs. The Most Unfriendliness Inhospitable Westerners In The World., Anti Social
I meant to ask who wrote this for you? Most Unfriendliness? In the World? Anti social?

Seriously, did you write this?

I can understand the need you might have to meet fellow Brits, as you keep emphasising Brits, but - no offense - your wife would soon take care of you having any caucasian friends with that attitude.

By the way, why do you call yourselves farangs . . . it doesn't sound right.

The more you push the harder it will be to get to know someone . . .

Edited by Sing_Sling

IMost of this is an observation on my part. My wife believes that the reasons why many Farangs residing in Chiang Mai are so inhospitable is that most are either:

dont quite see why you are asking the question as to why no-one wants to know you :o

probably the attitude stated above .................

It just happened that he meet some unfriendly farang on the wrong time and wrong places that is what I understand from the op. Allows him some breathing space, he should have at least corresponded with some friendly chiang mai TV members in the first place. By mentioning most unfriendliness westerners in the world, he has put himself in bad taste.

Our home in Thailand is not in Chiang Mai, but I'll admit to be stand-offish with other foreigners.

I have two, what I regard as valid reasons for this attitude. Firstly I don't want to rush into a friendship and then get lumbered with someone who turns out to be a Farang version of 'Khunlatchia', around the house at every oportunity.

Secondly, I reckon I have about five good friends, out of all of the thousands of people I have met and worked with, hundreds I know reasonably well, I have five I regard as friends. I don't really have an expectation of frienship in small communities. Pals maybe, friends, I'd be extremely lucky.

As someone recently said to me, not having many farangs around is not a reason to drop the standard of the company you keep.

I think the main problem the OP is having is where he is aproaching foreigners, take TP up on the advice to join in the local get-to-gether, I'm sure that would be a far better place to meet people than cold footing them in the market etc.

Derogatory comments about the OP's wife are uncalled for, as are suggestions that he go home.

Derogatory comments about the OP's wife are uncalled for, as are suggestions that he go home.

As indeed are the OP's wife's remarks!!!

I will always acknowledge another "Farang" out in the street,supermarket, in a bar etc. Sometimes they will nod back, say hello etc. If they don't I feel that its their loss. If a conversation ensue's fair enough, take it from there. The thing is not to get down hearted about it. Maybe some people have had a bad day!!

As TP mentions, get to some organised mixer, if you feel you don't like it there then you can always leave, but do make the effort to get to know some of the guys up here and I'm sure it will be reciprocated.

P.S. I'm neither a paedophiles, drug dealer nor pimp, I have a valid visa and can return to the UK/Ireland any time I please. Neither am I a sexual deviant, but there you go you can't have everything.

[quote name='kozi' date='2006-06-17 01:57:44' post='783943

Frig me! yer wife thinks like this! You must be having us on....come on! I never met any Thai woman ranting about the local Farangs in such a way!

By the way, if you were any of the above - then....why the heck are you living in Chiang Mai!?@

[quote name='kozi' date='2006-06-17 01:57:44' post='783943

Frig me! yer wife thinks like this! You must be having us on....come on! I never met any Thai woman ranting about the local Farangs in such a way!

By the way, if you were any of the above - then....why the heck are you living in Chiang Mai!?@

I agree.It seems highly unlikely any Thai woman would think of Chiengmai farangs in this way, let alone articulate it.Having said that, perhaps someone could explain to me how the "resident" farang population without work permits/one year visas(ie legally and gainfully employed) spend their time.On anecdotal evidence only many of these visa running crew are distinctly "iffy".

This is one extremely perceptive Thai woman! :o