Denied Entry - Same As Blacklisting?

If someone is denied entry at the airport and sent back to their country of origin, does that mean that, to all intents and purposes, they're blacklisted?

A mate has been knocked back at Swampy because he had a variety of stamps in his passport over the last 5 or so years and immigration suspected him of being illegally employed here.

He swears blind he's never been here on visa exemption stamps; just tourist visas, a couple of non-immigrant Bs and two ED visas.

Thing is, I TOLD him to learn even basic Thai just in case he ever left the country and had to prove he was learning the lingo.

technically speaking blacklisting is being legally declared persona non grata in a country, usually done by a court.

While being denied entry is simply that we will not let you in

so to me at least not the same thing

• Like 1

so he had the ed visa as you said,,

and you told him to learn a little thai just in case he got stoped,

no wonder they are changing the rules...lol

I heard you can be on a ED visa learning english or spanish or chinese?

There would be a stamp in his passport if he was blacklisted.

I would guess they denied entry for lack of financial proof. That is a common reason used to deny entry.

The denied entry would be almost be as bad a being blacklisted.

On the next entry they would have to have everything right including having proof funds to live on.

technically speaking blacklisting is being legally declared persona non grata in a country, usually done by a court.

While being denied entry is simply that we will not let you in

so to me at least not the same thing

I suspected as much since it's not as if they caught him sitting in an office on a phone or something (he actually doesn't work in Thailand). Couldn't be sure though because TIT and since when is proof needed before official decision-making? Suspicion is often enough

He's looking to return but talking about some kind of James Bond-like itinerary. Going to KL or Vientiane and entering through a land border followed by buses and trains laugh.png because he thinks the immigration peeps at Swampy will remember him and pee on his cornflakes if he comes in that way again.

Ok well thanks for the answers - i'll send the thread url to him

I would guess they denied entry for lack of financial proof. That is a common reason used to deny entry.

On the next entry they would have to have everything right including having proof funds to live on.

He said they thought he was working in Thailand. They didn't even give him a chance to prove he wasn't.

I've no doubt he can show he's got the money to live on but he's just panicking. Got a kid here etc

Showing money coming from outside the country would be proof that he was not working.

If he has a Thai child he could get a non-o visa based upon that. They would help when trying to enter the country again along with proving he is the parent of a Thai child.

They did not test his thai language skill then? Or can they see from the ED visa that it is for studying thai language and not muayi thai for example?

On land border mother and the kid can come to see him for example in Cambodia side in Poipet and whole family can then try to walk in together. Then they see concrete proof that ha has family in Thailand.

Edited by nweuro

Showing money coming from outside the country would be proof that he was not working.

If he has a Thai child he could get a non-o visa based upon that. They would help when trying to enter the country again along with proving he is the parent of a Thai child.

LOL

I guess he should carry his bank statements with him every time he leaves. I actually don't think he's got his name on the certificate of birth. If he can't get in again, I guess that won't be an option in the future.

Here is how a denied stamp looks like:

post-61130-0-14583900-1401282423.txt

The blue triangle on the top is the denied of entry stamp.

And you cannot enter anymore into the country when having it on a passeport.

The zealous officers, who thought that I was working illegaly, suggested me to go back either to Belgium (country of origin) or -more easier- to a neighbor country where I can apply for a new passport at my embassy: then no problem to re-enter Thailand...

But it has been -hopefully and nearly on the spot- cancelled by their superior who wrote down a notice explaining their mistake.

Since, after the 30 days that at the end they gave me: I have been to Phnom Penh, got a tourist visa and passed through Poipet last week with that same passport... and all this without any trouble and/or question never asked.

I hope that it helps.

• Like 1

He said they thought he was working in Thailand. They didn't even give him a chance to prove he wasn't.

I've no doubt he can show he's got the money to live on but he's just panicking. Got a kid here etc

What visa was your friend currently holding when he was denied entry by immigrations at Suvarnabhumi and when did this event occur?

They did not test his thai language skill then? Or can they see from the ED visa that it is for studying thai language and not muayi thai for example?

On land border mother and the kid can come to see him for example in Cambodia side in Poipet and whole family can then try to walk in together. Then they see concrete proof that ha has family in Thailand.

"Then they see concrete proof that ha has family in Thailand."

Walking to the border with a woman and child hardly qualifies as concrete proof of anything. He said the guy's name isn't even on the birth certificate.

attachicon.gifphoto.php.jpeg

The zealous officers, who thought that I was working illegaly, suggested me to go back either to Belgium (country of origin) or -more easier- to a neighbor country where I can apply for a new passport at my embassy: then no problem to re-enter Thailand...

But it has been -hopefully and nearly on the spot- cancelled by their superior who wrote down a notice explaining their mistake.

Since, after the 30 days that at the end they gave me: I have been to Phnom Penh, got a tourist visa and passed through Poipet last week with that same passport... and all this without any trouble and/or question never asked.

I hope that it helps.

Thus demonstrating the potential usefulness of using finger prints for identity in future, rather than referring to passport information that may be from an older passport and entered into the computer system.

What visa was your friend currently holding when he was denied entry by immigrations at Suvarnabhumi and when did this event occur?

ED Visa extension

Happened a couple of weeks ago

ED Visa extension

Noted, thanks!

ED Visa extension

So he had an extension of stay (it is not a visa) for attending school. Did he have a valid re-entry permit?

Without a re-entry permit he would of only been able to get visa exempt entry if he is from country that qualifies for one..

attachicon.gifphoto.php.jpeg

I hope that it helps.

The photo you posted isn't high enough resolution to read SWMBO says

And the blue triangle that is only partly visible looks like the standard stamp

A higher res pic including the blue triangle could be helpful

A common way of extending stay by some is to get an ED visa that first time can be good for up to 14-15 months with all extensions, then after go and get a double entry tourist visa to save the cost as it can be a fraction cheaper than enrolling in a course for the second year, then to get double tourist visa again so you get one year, then to enrol again in at a language school for a language course and get an ED visa that can get you 14-15 months and when done back again on a tourist visa. Elaborate visa planning science. I have helped so many people with ED visas and I have seen often how people play with the visa system. Now tell me, if you were an immigration officer would you think that was a genuine student? On top of that some did not make any effort to learn Thai. Such people are really asking for trouble. Sorry to hear about your friend.

Walen School - learn Thai and get and an ED visa.

www.thaiwalen.com

post-46756-0-98411800-1401336436_thumb.j

ED Visa extension

So he had an extension of stay (it is not a visa) for attending school. Did he have a valid re-entry permit?

Without a re-entry permit he would of only been able to get visa exempt entry if he is from country that qualifies for one..

He says he paid for a re-entry permit which was stamped into his passport but they ignored it.

I don't think it ever entered into his mind that he'd be pulled up.

If you have an ED visa and you leave the country - it is CANCELLED, and no longer valid - unless you inform your school, and they notify the authorities and get permission for you to leave.

If he left without telling anybody, then even his ED extension is cancelled. If he had a re-entry permit - that doesn't count anymore, as visa is cancelled.

He should have asked for a 30 day visitor at the airport to get time to sort it out - but by the sounds of it, I'd guess they just took a dislike to him for some reason of theirs.

If you have an ED visa and you leave the country - it is CANCELLED, and no longer valid - unless you inform your school, and they notify the authorities and get permission for you to leave.

If he left without telling anybody, then even his ED extension is cancelled. If he had a re-entry permit - that doesn't count anymore, as visa is cancelled.e reason of theirs.

Never heard of this procedure before. Is it exclusive to non-ED visas?

ED Visa extension

I'd like to ask, why would you say an extension to a visa is not a visa?

What about a year's extension to a non-B? Is that also not a visa?

If he left without telling anybody, then even his ED extension is cancelled. If he had a re-entry permit - that doesn't count anymore, as visa is cancelled.e reason of theirs.

Never heard of this procedure before. Is it exclusive to non-ED visas?

As far as I know it pertains only to Education Visas. I may however be wrong... which is why I posed the above Q .. ;)

ED Visa extension

No they are not visas they are extensions of stay. A clue is in the title of the TM7 form that you submit

Application for extension of temporary stay in the Kingdom

If he left without telling anybody, then even his ED extension is cancelled. If he had a re-entry permit - that doesn't count anymore, as visa is cancelled.

He should have asked for a 30 day visitor at the airport to get time to sort it out - but by the sounds of it, I'd guess they just took a dislike to him for some reason of theirs.

With respect, you should check your facts before posting.

ED Visa extension

A visa only allows you to enter the country and obtain a permit to stay. After you enter the country you no longer have a visa you have a permit stay.

Only permits to stay can be extended.