NCPO meets with Thai Tourism Min on tourism stimulus plan

webfact

NCPO meets with Tourism Min on tourism stimulus plan

BANGKOK, 30 May 2014 (NNT) – The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) has held talks with the Ministry of Tourism and Sports in a bid to find measures for stimulating the Thai tourism sector and propping up the confidence of foreign travelers.

After his meeting with the Permanent Secretary for Tourism and Sports and relevant officials, Deputy NCPO Chief Adm Narong Pipattanasai stated that the discussion was aimed to conclude on how to revive the domestic tourism in the wake of the political crisis. He cited the NCPO’s recent decision to shorten the curfew hours to between midnight and 4 am as an initial measure to alleviate anxiety among residents and tourists.

To ensure that tourism activities could go on as usual, the Deputy NCPO Chief hinted a possibility of cancelling the curfew in selected areas, especially tourist destinations, where the situation was peaceful. As for the restoration of confidence, he said vigorous PR campaigns might have to be adopted while world-famous figures might be invited to take a trip to Thailand as a way to boost the country’s image.

Although the end of the year is drawing closer, Adm Narong pledged that the NCPO would do its best to help the Tourism and Sports Ministry achieve its annual revenue target of 2 trillion baht. In the meantime, next year’s target of 2.2 trillion baht would also remain unchanged.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-30 footer_n.gif

Please note

Zero tolerance for disruptive behaviour

Extraordinary events are taking place once again, and it is important that this venue remains a source of reliable and accurate information so that those needing information to keep their families safe and informed are able to do so without finding a forum cluttered up with senseless fighting, rumours and speculation.

For the time being we will have a zero tolerance policy towards:

- Abusive behaviour towards others.

- Rumour mongering, speculation, or other inflammatory posts.

- Political lobbying or propaganda of any kind.

- Abusing the report system.

Posts in violation will be deleted without comment and posting rights removed.

It is time to set aside your bickering and arguments and help keep others informed. We thank you in advance for your co-operation.

Thank You

/Admin

• Like 1

It would appear to be a good idea to cancel the curfew in certain areas where tourism is very popular where there has been little to no political demonstrations or demonstration related violence.

Some places that spring to mind would be :

Pattaya

Phuket

Hua Hin and Cha Am

Small Holiday islands and locations mostly frequented by tourists travelling around Thailand and smaller high volume destinations like Kanchanaburi

If it doesn't work out so well then just reinstate the curfew on a case by case basis. The situation is 'fluid' and changing all the time, perhaps the curfew regulations can work around this.

If it doesn't work out just reinstate a curfew again.

I would add to this that certain areas frequented by tourists in Bangkok would also benefit from reduced curfew although the recent change from 22:00 to 00:00 curfew start times will address the needs of some tourists.

Edited by ukrules

People say tourism is only a very tiny part of the GDP but if tourism drops the country goes into panic mode as if the whole economy is about to collapse. I would guess that tourisms is a very large part of the GDP.

• Like 1

Here's an outlandish idea.

Scrap the archaic pointless enforced dry days on election times (of which one suspects there may be many in the months to come) in tourist (and areas with large populations of foreigners) areas BOTH the week before and on the election weekend itself; ALL of them...

Scrap bar closing times and remove limits on alcohol sales hours in ALL tourist areas (and beyond).

These are an outdated ideas and a relic from old regimes which make Thailand look like some utter Banana Republic especially the election closures which have zero relevance to tourists and foreigners. If you think such inane closure policies don't affect tourism, you clearly weren't in Pattaya during the last lot of closures.

• Like 2

It would appear to be a good idea to cancel the curfew in certain areas where tourism is very popular where there has been little to no political demonstrations or demonstration related violence.

Some places that spring to mind would be :

Pattaya

Phuket

Hua Hin and Cha Am

Small Holiday islands and locations mostly frequented by tourists travelling around Thailand and smaller high volume destinations like Kanchanaburi

If it doesn't work out so well then just reinstate the curfew on a case by case basis. The situation is 'fluid' and changing all the time, perhaps the curfew regulations can work around this.

If it doesn't work out just reinstate a curfew again.

I would add to this that certain areas frequented by tourists in Bangkok would also benefit from reduced curfew although the recent change from 22:00 to 00:00 curfew start times will address the needs of some tourists.

I don't know much about the other locations, but the military is continuing to make progress in Chon Buri and Rayong, which means there's a good chance the curfew will continue for a while. Once the military is satisfied, they can relax the curfew further.

Gotta remember the curfew is about letting the soldiers get some much deserved rest.

People say tourism is only a very tiny part of the GDP but if tourism drops the country goes into panic mode as if the whole economy is about to collapse. I would guess that tourisms is a very large part of the GDP.

I read that tourism makes up 10% of GDP.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

The real culprits in Thailand are insolent sneaky nasty nasty tuk-tuk mafias, several free lance fake tour operators, money hungry and murderous jet-skiing bastards....

... if the reigning constitution "that must not be named" really is serious about a clean up, start EXACTLY there...

• Like 2

Good point.

It seems official attitudes towards tourism are flexible depending on what's needed at the time so tourism can be very important or not so important as required to explain or defend.

The real culprits in Thailand are insolent sneaky nasty nasty tuk-tuk mafias, several free lance fake tour operators, money hungry and murderous jet-skiing bastards....

... if the reigning constitution "that must not be named" really is serious about a clean up, start EXACTLY there...

Always start at the top and work your way down.

• Like 1

Just because it's a "small" part of the economy, doesn't mean it's not needed.coffee1.gif

"he said vigorous PR campaigns might have to be adopted while world-famous figures might be invited to take a trip to Thailand as a way to boost the country’s image."

I know of a famous figure I'd sure like the NCPO to invite to Bangkok right now. Apparently, his initial is T. giggle.gif

• Like 2

I would say the curfew as it looks now is kind of pointless, also most tourist I've met seems pretty confused about what goes and what goes not.

I had to catch a flight 6 in the morning when the curfew still was until 5 am. I arrived at Don Mueang one day before about 19:00. I asked the information desk, who seemed clueless but told me that "green and yellow cabs" would still operate those hours. I got a number that didn't work when I got home to order a taxi. So instead I walked out about 3:00 to ask the military in Thewet what I should do. They said that there was no problem. And as I could see there where quite a lot of people on the streets doing everything from preparing stalls for the coming day as well as tuktuk's, win motos and taxis standing by or hanging around.

According to the military he said "the only difference is there might be more check points during night, and you should carry your visa as well as proof or a god reason to why you have left your home during curfew", it could be anything from needing to go to hospital to flying out of the country.
Night time busses still operates as normal.

Took a bus from Prai Bueng in Sisaket about 20:40 that where supposed to take 8 hours. We did have 3 military checkpoints disrupting our sleep though, but apart from that everything was as normal. And since the bus goes along the Cambodian border in Sisaket, Surin and Buriram there might have been check points either way since there's always check points close to the borders where non-thai nationals can obtain a "border-card" like in Aranya Prathet to work in Rong Kleua without a real passport. This card allows them to walk into Thailand, but no further than Mueang Sa Kaew etc.

However, since I live in Dusit/Thewet I do see tourist on regular basis and many seems stressed out or completely unaware of what goes and what doesn't. Most of them probably don't spend their free time on Thai visa or speak Thai which might make for some misunderstandings between them and officials etc. since they are tourist-tourist (yes, I am tourist too officially, but I speak the language and have family here, still I don't work here and live only on savings, which makes me a tourist since it's the only visa I can obtain at the moment unless I want to study Thai.)

Instead of the 4 hour curfew I would suggest higher security checkpoints in the tourist and party districts. It's not only tourist suffering. Thai's are annoyed to that their favorite places close early. Less concerts at the various Tawan Daeng similar places, or Thai "teen" beer gardens like Tawanna 2 etc. 4 Hours is not that much. Most bars are supposed to close 1 am anyway. Still I can't say the curfew makes me suffer. I spend most my time at home during weekdays. And in the weekends I might go out, and there's still plenty to do, just start a few hours before, like in Laos.

I still think it's too early to condemn or celebrate the military's actions. Now is the time we should observe and see what's coming next. In a way it seems PDRC got what they wanted. Still the Junta has decided to bring back some of Thaksins co-workers and ministers since they actually where good at what they were doing. So far it looks like they are trying to disturb all corruption bases by replacing governors from province to province etc along with many other moves. Whatever the outcome will be or what the reforms really means we still have to wait and see.
For Prachatipat to get the majority one might think they need to get rid of some voters in the rural areas. How that would be done I have no idea. But it would be a shame if some rule like "only those with bachelors are allowed to vote". Not saying that's the case. Just saying that things have only begun.

The curfew will soon die out I'm sure. But what will follow within 6 months to 2 years is impossible to say. And first then we can play with hindsight saying "that's what I thought". But right now I think most of us better just wait and see since 90% of are aliens here and not citizens. And the more we criticize and condemn one side or the other, the less popular we as a group becomes. And it's quite tiring that people always holds prejudgments against me before they actually start to speak with me. But then again we are not better when it comes to Thai ladies in the west.

Easing visa arrangements? Just a thought. . .

Aren't they easy enough now if you play by the rules?

I've never had any problems getting a visa in over 15 years coming and going to Thailand.

Far more important things to sort out, as stated above.

I suspect visa runner's concerns are pretty low down on the list right now.

Clearing up those black sheeps would definately help in boosting tourism.