Iranian, American teenagers electrocuted at swimming pool of Bangkok condominium

webfact

Although this could happen in many other 2nd and 3rd world countries, it would not occur in a developed country without serious prison time and monumental compensation. Unfortunately it is a trait common amongst the Thais that makes this kind of thing unimportant, tolerable and even excusable. It is a global developmental issue, it is not Thai bashing. It is critical, yes, and so it should be.

I think that is a bit harsh,being American one would not expect a lamp installed in his own country in such a position would electrocute you as it would have been installed in a proper manner,which this one it seems was not.

April 17 2014 http://www.local10.com/news/south-fla-boy-electrocuted-by-pool-light-while-swimming/25538944

May 22 2014 http://www.wsvn.com/story/25590167/video-released-of-children-electrocuted-at-community-pool

May 9 2014 http://myfox8.com/2014/05/09/community-to-host-event-to-honor-11-year-old-electrocuted-in-a-lexington-pool/

Yes I know they happen in developed countries, my point was that they do not go uninvestigated with zero accountability.

And you are saying there won't be any investigation into this accident or if fault can be assigned it won't be? Or are you simply just trying to state the obvious that by definition some things are different in first world/developed vs. developing nations?

By the way, not one of the linked incidents in the US above mention any consequences for anyone or lawsuits or jail time.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....words cannot convey......

...gross disregard for human life....or anything good or redeeming....except for a quick profit.....in the pretentious context of modern.....

...and people and their families shattered.....

...who cares.....the owner....the workmen.....???

Not to brush off the tragedy or what is wrong with the whole picture, but for those of us who have so far escaped tragedies at sea, the beach or in pools in Thailand the incident makes you think that swimming in general is probably not the safest thing to be doing in Thailand, or any sort of outdoorsy activities for that matter. Paranoid, yes, but I spend an hour each day cultivating my paranoia so that I might live a few more decades here.

To continue the paranoid perspective: There are many things that can go wrong in the water. For example, some random hotel staff who hasn't a clue could easily have been given a directive from a phi nong that was no more than, "Go put some chemicals in the pool before the owner gets here, he's going to check today!" The pool closet has been merged with the general cleaning supplies and there is 10 different bottles of chemicals and various other cleaning materials for various jobs which are vaguely marked, the details in microlettering which nobody in the country can read. So…ah…what's this? A bottle of toilet cleaner! That might do the trick! In it goes! After all a swimming pool is kind of a big toilet. Let's dump a second bottle in for good measure. Isn't that what I seen them doing, pouing a few full bottles of stuff into the pool? What's this big bag of white powder? Salt? Salt's clean. OK, in ya go! OK, some chlorox, I seen 'em pouring that in and maybe a bottle of this drain cleaner to clear out the drain, and 20 People Go Blind After Swimming in Hua Hin Resort Swimming Pool!... Oh…that's too bad! So sad!

Scuba diving? Are you kidding me?

Or getting on a boat. It is hair raising what you can encounter just taking the river taxi on the Chao Phraya let alone a boat at sea. Mobs of people pushing while the boat careens up and down, towards and away from the dock. You fell between the boat and the dock because you were shoved by someone behind and got mashed? Why were you in hurry? Why didn't you wait for the crowd to disperse when you could more safely disembark or alight the boat?

Swimming at the beach? How about while you were playing around and jumping around in the water having a sword like piece of glass going right through your foot and then getting mai pet raied by the hospital and then having to come back the next day to be told you have a life threatening infection and need to get your whole leg cut off? The thinking here is, if it is no skin off my nose, I should stay out of it, its not my business if the vodka bottle I toss into the sea breaks and gets munched by cute little Snorky the sea-turtle and that he dies because he mistook a shard of glass for a wonderful looking new kind of seaweed.

This is a country where being Mr. or Mrs. Active Strapping Outdoorsman is not understood or appreciated. It probably just isn't very sensible to be into that here. Most Thais think it is too hot or boring to go out bushwacking the forest for fitness and self-esteem. Seems to me, tho who really knows, that the thinking of many of the locals would be along the lines of: Why don't you just go to bed and sleep or watch television on Saturday? Why would you want to go around swimming, its exhausting and difficult! The sun will turn your skin black! How unappealing! Swimming doesn't serve any purpose. Nobody is impressed by your swimming. The swimming pool's purpose is for show, it has nice beautiful turquoise water and most people don't have one. It isn't there for swimming in, particularly. If you want to swim in it, OK, I suppose you can do that, whatever you want, but that is a sort of esoteric auxiliary function. You want to not be electrocuted or blinded after swimming? That's a tall order if you want any guarantees, bub! You can go be a show off and actually swim in a pool in your own country, don't complain about people dying in swimming pools here!

I think in the absence of libraries or good coffee shops, finding a nice friendly, safe bar where you can go and drink away your free time is more a sensible way to spend your free time here for the average person than running around like a lunatic going swimming and bird watching and four wheel bicycling free style cliff jumping with parachutes into the sea and getting mowed over by a speed boat for fun and thrills.

I am SHOCKED at the plethora of mis-information about basic electricity. Here are some facts....

-Stranded wire is available in Thailand but stranded or solid, the chance of shock is the same.

-Electricians can use "wire nuts" to make joints, which is twisting the wires together, but at least with a plastic cap over the joint. Also, the wire nuts need to point upward or they will fill with water.

-soldered joints are best but almost never seen. Such joints can be covered with five or more turns of good quality electrical tape.

-Another excellent way of making a joint is to use "split bolts" which I can't find in Thailand and no one has heard of them.... very secure with tape over them.

-Any rewiring and all new wiring of houses should have three wire sockets with the third pin having a real separate wire running from there to a real earth ground. Best to use the USA standard three pin socket.

-TWO PIN round pin plug/sockets do not carry a ground.

-A vast number of Thai homes have only two wires coming via the distribution side and then, of course, only two wires supplying the drop to the house, too.

-Distribution transformers must have a ground or there is no easy way for the transformer to bring 440VAC or more down to 220VAC, but if that ground is not continued with an actual wire all the way down the line and onto your wall socket, you have no ground on that socket. Two pin sockets have no ground.

-The bare wire running ABOVE the actual electrical wires on poles outside is supposed to be grounded for lightning protection, but it is not a part of the electrical grounding discussed here.

-A failure of a specific part in the power supply of a common household item, if it has a metal case like a washer or a microwave, can direct 220VAC onto the case and if touched by a person with a ground, that person will receive all 220VAC into their bodies. A real earth ground on the appliance protects from that.

-Most power tools are now sold "double insulated" but read the label to get that kind.

-Connecting the "green ground wire" with a screw into a brick wall IS NOT A GROUND, often seen on the outdoor compressors of air conditioners.

-Shower water heaters are prime for electric shock because the water itself can be electrified and the wet body is an ideal conductor. These devices are often connected to a concrete wall as if that were a ground.

-The underwater electric lamps on swim pools can be run with 220 and electrify the water if faulty.

-Both AC and DC affects the body muscles to CONTRACT... that is what the body nerves do, but at much lower voltage. Contracted muscles of the hands will NOT allow the person to let go of the electric wire or lamp.

-As long as there is power present, the contracted muscles will NOT let go.

-If you must touch a questionable wire or surface, touch it with the BACK of your hand so that if electric power is there, your normally contracting hand muscles will jerk your hand away from the dangerous wire.

-Use an insulated item like a wood chair or old dry bamboo pole to push a person contracting and holding on to electricity. A dry rope works good too. DO NOT TOUCH THE PERSON WITH YOUR BODY, HANDS, NOT NOTHING !!

-As long as the shocked human body draws less than 20amps, a 20amp fuse will not blow and will not protect the person. Only specially designed "ground fault detectors" that look like a circuit breaker are a sure way to stop the shocking electric flow. Also called GFI, ground fault interrupter.

-Telephone wires run at lower voltages which are not lethal, but if a phone wire contacts a bare 220VAC wire somewhere, the phone wire becomes a danger.

-Same is true for the cables for cable TV.

-During lightning storms nearby, you can get a shock off the wire from your outdoor TV antenna if you touch it.

-Umbrellas and golf clubs held over shoulders make great lightning targets.

I am using the actual terms for this discussion, such as "distribution transformer," which you will have to look up if needed. I am a self-taught amateur ham radio operator with very specific and accurate information. I have been shocked by accident by RF power, and both 115 and 220 regular electricity and can tell you how it feels.

If you are not sure about DIY, do not DIY.

The danger of DIY is why I did not tell you how to handle installing wiring.

Totally irresponsible electrical installations in and around swimming pools in Thailand are unfortunately all too commonplace, not only on private property, but also in semi-public and commercial pools - we see it all the time.

When we are asked to service or repair pool installations and notice such deficiencies, we point these things out but are met with a shrug and nothing gets done about it.

All electrical equipment in and around a pool should be low voltage 12V, and the standard 220V supplying the 220-12V transformers should be earthed (grounded), adequately protected by RCCBs, and housed well away from the pool or any other water features. Not rocket science, and everything easily available here - all the more reason to insist that pools and their surrounding areas are designed and installed by true professionals.

• Like 1

In response to your first question...probably.

Fair enough - I disagree but do certainly believe if fault is determined that any monetary damages will not be anywhere close to those in the US .. not sure about other first world type nations. If the victims are Thai then it would also be paid quickly and not drag out in court for years with the only true winners being the lawyers.

Personally I think somewhere in between here and the US would be a good system as neither is good but then again nothing will ever bring back a loved one and nothing will ever stop accidents like this happening.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn
  • Like 1

Like the American rock music group, AC/DC, both types can lock you to the hot wire and kill you.

Sad story, but there's seomthing odd about it. "Hosseini tried to pull him from the lamp pole but the two were electrocuted."

If this was AC power, don't you get thrown away from the thing you touch? With DC power you get stuck to the item you touched, as does anyone who touches you. Doesn't this imply the pool lamp was DC?

Why would the pool lighting be DC?

Like the American rock music group, AC/DC, both types can lock you to the hot wire and kill you.

Sad story, but there's seomthing odd about it. "Hosseini tried to pull him from the lamp pole but the two were electrocuted."

If this was AC power, don't you get thrown away from the thing you touch? With DC power you get stuck to the item you touched, as does anyone who touches you. Doesn't this imply the pool lamp was DC?

Not sure if you're taking the urine there Charles, but I'll let it go, and simply say that DC current for this type of application is 12 volts, and draws low amps (which is the killer). (12 volts with a thousand amps will blow you to the moon, but that would take some engineering.)

Car'n acca dacca by the way

RIP. Sad to heard.

Now police should contact the engineer in charge of the contractor and ask questions about safety. This kind of stupid problem is happening all around the world, schedule to follow and completely does not give a sh*t about safety. Shameful! High Standard! clap2.gif

We have the same problem in our condo at Waterford rama4. The management takes all the common fees and pretend they spend it all on bills. nothing is taken care of. The kids pool( the kids swim everywhere though) is the worst. There are 4 lights in there and all the cables are floating around in the pool as the lights are not screwed to the floor. The technicians(3 of them!) couldnt find their own <deleted> with two hands. I have mentioned it many times but they look at me like im crazy... i even stopped paying the common fee since i didnt see any resolution in near future. Thay ansvered with cutting off my water. even though i was paying my water bill. There are electrical cables tied with tape all over the common area including the kids playground! The management refuse to talk about it or do anything about it. on top of that the pool is dumped full of Trichlorocyanuric acid as a source of clorine. Trichloroisocyanuric acid in swimming pools is easier to handle than chlorine. It dissolves slowly in water, but as it reacts, cyanuric acid concentration in the pool will build-up. At high cyanuric acid concentrations, normal chlorine levels can be rendered ineffective, requiring either dilution by draining and refilling the pool or by adding abnormally high doses of chlorine to overcome this effect. They just dump it in with a showel. I offered to give them an ozonator for free( value 1 million baht) because i have my kids in there but they didnt want it! What can one do with things like this? Nothing? im talking to retarded little kids in adult bodies!

will this place be next?

Hmmmm, probably YES!

This is only matter of time and right moment for transformer to get wet for some reason of just transformer insulation gets to old.

If this wires carry 240 Volts then your pool already be full of dead bodies understanding your story.

I would not give a single baht until they not fix this problem properly.

Many people do not realize that to be killed by electricity you do not have to be electrocuted for even longer then one second to get your heart stopped.....

Most people are killed by electric power by surprise and a most of them died because of electric shock (which not necessary cause death ) but by secondary cause like falling from the roof etc.

Of course it needs some critical condition for this kind of death but in wet areas those chances growing to very high probabilities ..

In Your case I would not dare to come to swimming pool ...sorry ... I rather do not affraid of electric power (I am electrician) but I have a full respect to the rules.

They are made to save life's and not to kill.

There is a cheap solution for you to overcome this problem ..

Why don't you buy or import certified RCD (protection device ) and demand to install it to the pool lamps or even pool electric pumps ?? It doe not cost your life....

Regards

P.S

I forgot....

If you somehow manage to install protection in your building ...DO NOT forget to advertise it ....even to body corp etc.

I strongly believe other will follow.

Someone must be a pioneer in this country ...if we do not demand and do it ..then WHO WILL???

Edited by gigman

AC/DC is an Australian group but your point is well made

• Like 2

Touching metal with the back of your hand lets you jump back upon shock. Grabbing with your fingers causes your muscles to contract and get a vice-like grip on the hot item, leading to electrocution.

If you absolutely must get someone who is trapped in a live circuit loose and don't have anything insulating, such as a jacket to put between you and him, the best way I can think of is to do it american football style, ie. ram the victim with high speed while jumping in the air. It's still very, very risky.

You mean it's your idea of a save-yourself jesture; sorta like jumping into the air just before the speeding freefall elevator touches the ground.... Man, that's sure to work. huh.png

We have the same problem in our condo at Waterford rama4. The management takes all the common fees and pretend they spend it all on bills. nothing is taken care of. The kids pool( the kids swim everywhere though) is the worst. There are 4 lights in there and all the cables are floating around in the pool as the lights are not screwed to the floor. The technicians(3 of them!) couldnt find their own <deleted> with two hands. I have mentioned it many times but they look at me like im crazy... i even stopped paying the common fee since i didnt see any resolution in near future. Thay ansvered with cutting off my water. even though i was paying my water bill. There are electrical cables tied with tape all over the common area including the kids playground! The management refuse to talk about it or do anything about it. on top of that the pool is dumped full of Trichlorocyanuric acid as a source of clorine. Trichloroisocyanuric acid in swimming pools is easier to handle than chlorine. It dissolves slowly in water, but as it reacts, cyanuric acid concentration in the pool will build-up. At high cyanuric acid concentrations, normal chlorine levels can be rendered ineffective, requiring either dilution by draining and refilling the pool or by adding abnormally high doses of chlorine to overcome this effect. They just dump it in with a showel. I offered to give them an ozonator for free( value 1 million baht) because i have my kids in there but they didnt want it! What can one do with things like this? Nothing? im talking to retarded little kids in adult bodies!

will this place be next?

Hmmmm, probably YES!

This is only matter of time and right moment for transformer to get wet for some reason of just transformer insulation gets to old.

If this wires carry 240 Volts then your pool already be full of dead bodies understanding your story.

I would not give a single baht until they not fix this problem properly.

Many people do not realize that to be killed by electricity you do not have to be electrocuted for even longer then one second to get your heart stopped.....

Most people are killed by electric power by surprise and a most of them died because of electric shock (which not necessary cause death ) but by secondary cause like falling from the roof etc.

Of course it needs some critical condition for this kind of death but in wet areas those chances growing to very high probabilities ..

In Your case I would not dare to come to swimming pool ...sorry ... I rather do not affraid of electric power (I am electrician) but I have a full respect to the rules.

They are made to save life's and not to kill.

There is a cheap solution for you to overcome this problem ..

Why don't you buy or import certified RCD (protection device ) and demand to install it to the pool lamps or even pool electric pumps ?? It doe not cost your life....

Regards

P.S

I forgot....

If you somehow manage to install protection in your building ...DO NOT forget to advertise it ....even to body corp etc.

I strongly believe other will follow.

Someone must be a pioneer in this country ...if we do not demand and do it ..then WHO WILL???

I have asked many times like i said. they just look at me like some dog that was shown a card trick, and run away thinking im crazy...The fact that they refuse to let ME fix things for FREE makes me wonder what the hell they are up to...As im a chemist i could easly take care of the water quality. But alas!

Edited by horisize

Swimming pool with high voltage lighting, no RCDs, no earthing - An accident waiting to happen. When will these people ever learn?

The concept of safety is percolating at glacier speed into the country. I actually saw my first motorcycle driver look both ways before entering the road! That was a momentous event!

Hopefully, vocational education will catch up to these electricians whom know just enough to be dangerous; and welders will learn to save their eye sight using a welding helmet instead of sunglasses.

Electrocution doesn't have to mean deceased. Assume it does in this case, though I've combed the article and don't find it written.

A friend of mine was called in to police station middle of the night. His son was at that party as well.

He was asked to call the parents of the two kids. So to answer your question... Yes..both..

Pool water chemistry does not need to be understood at a scientific level by pool owners to be able to purchase some water testers - even inexpensive digital ones - some chemicals, and read the instructions. There is also a plethora of advice available on the Internet for swimming pool maintenance in many languages and some of the more responsible pool constructors and pool product suppliers are quite happy to offer free, competent, professional advice if asked - even here in Thailand.

You people make me laugh !!!

Look at your own houses, I am an Electrical Field Foreman in Saudi Arabia in charge of 6 oil rigs, I DO understand electricity. How many of you have appliances with the 2 round pins and the hole in it for the Earth connection (which can't connect) and still use them?

Do you REALLY expect Somchai, from the rice paddy to understand electricity? He is all you are going to get for 200 to 500 baht a day. There are electricians in this country who actually know what they are doing but hey are making $4000 a month.

You want European standards and safety but don't want to pay for it !! And on top of that you wont use your own common sense to ensure your own safety !!!

Well guess what YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR !!

I am in the process of helping a friend have his house wired and although the electrician doesn't seem stupid, his lack of understanding is mind boggling, he didn't even know you could solder wires to make a join !! (until I showed him).

The price of a combined MCB (Miniature Circuit Breaker) / RCD (Residual Current Device) in this country is more than double of that in Australia, and I am talking $40 to $110, no wonder no one uses them !! (I have done the home work and have both quotes). Trying to buy stranded cables here (which are the norm now in Australia) is not impossible but it as sure as Dickin's isn't easy I still haven't got it in my hand yet).

The power distribution system in this country from my own observation is actually very good. Too good, the transformers are grounded. The "mess" you see out there is the telecommunications system, not electric. They actually have standards, and appear to follow them. The problem is there appears to be no standards for the home, after the meter it is a "free for all". If I am wrong and someone has a copy of household electrical standards PLEASE send them to me.

So how much is your life worth? Would you pay $100 for a DOT approved helmet when you ride your bike? or do you wear an ice cream bucket because you can? Would you pay me my travelling and accommodation costs from Phuket and let's say $50 an hour to make sure your electrical installation is safe (not fixing it just inspecting and testing it)?

I am VERY sorry that 2 young lives were taken before their time , but ALL of you are just a culpable, put up or shut up !!! Don't just turn a blind eye, do something about it !! Put your money where your mouth is......

Fully agree with you. Into the second renovation, had the same Sparky coming over again.

When I renovate, I literally strip the house. Most people here, they put a lick of paint and it's good to go. But what you don't see is how the electric was done when the house was built!

Both my houses (next to each other) where build by Property Perfect. And boy I can tell you, the electric is plain horror. All loose cable on the gypsum ceilings, HomePro connecting aircons and heaters to that 2-wire mains directly from the meter by stripping some cable mantle, twist the aircon wires around it and then of course tape!

So when I renovated, I stripped all, then proper earth, yellow pipes for all cabling, grounded sockets for all appliances.

My sparky came in last week for the second house. Asked me if the first one was still ok. Big grin on my face...told him, even the floods in my village where no problem at all. Just switched off the kitchen and the rest perfectly ok.

My neighbors mostly left because of the shoddy electric installations they had.

A good sparky is easy to find in Thailand. You only need the slightest bit of common sense yourself

Here's an example of Isaan lighting design and electric craftsmanship:

Compliments, this absolutely beats anything I've seen before.

I especially like the safety-pins.. They really give an artistic touch to it...

Cheers,

Luc

also again TAT/Government need to take control of all accommodation - to stop all these deaths.

Due diligence / Risk assessment/Spot Inspection - yes it will increase costs but save lives

and offer quality tourists and residents, assured safety in Thailand.

Horrendous.

Safety first. And I hope the families sue the hell out of the condo management. It might create a small change in the understanding for liability in public places.

How much is a death worth here ? I remember a tourist female killed by an elephant at a show total comp 80,000 baht.

Touching metal with the back of your hand lets you jump back upon shock. Grabbing with your fingers causes your muscles to contract and get a vice-like grip on the hot item, leading to electrocution.

If you absolutely must get someone who is trapped in a live circuit loose and don't have anything insulating, such as a jacket to put between you and him, the best way I can think of is to do it american football style, ie. ram the victim with high speed while jumping in the air. It's still very, very risky.

You mean it's your idea of a save-yourself jesture; sorta like jumping into the air just before the speeding freefall elevator touches the ground.... Man, that's sure to work. huh.png

Note I meant ramming some one who's got a death grip on a live item, when no insulating materials nor off switches are available. Risks are high, but if it's f.ex. your own son, I wouldn't hesitate for one millisecond.

The basic idea is not to become another conductor, which you will become if you try to pull some one out with your bare hands. Obviously the most effective and best course of action is to cut the power, but if it was a fixed light fixture and the pool was on the roof, the switch may well be somewhere in the basement, no time for that.

There is one other way to stop the electric: short the hot item (in this case the lamp) to the ground with metal (pool deck chair, etc). This should blow the fuse (unless that too has been tampered with), but again, you have to be insulated yourself before starting to play superman or you're toast.

Here's an example of Isaan lighting design and electric craftsmanship:

Compliments, this absolutely beats anything I've seen before.

I especially like the safety-pins.. They really give an artistic touch to it...

Cheers,

Luc

Yeah, a work of art. The pins are pushed through the wire in order to connect, without actually peeling the rubber away. So they're hot. Maibpenrai tongue.png

Edited by DrTuner

"The price of a combined MCB (Miniature Circuit Breaker) / RCD (Residual Current Device) in this country is more than double of that in Australia"

There are high customs tarifs on imported goods here - one cannot compare the cost with the price of a product made and sold in its home country, add to that the shipping and local distribution costs.

RCCBs (or whatever different terminology is used by nations divided by a common language) are widely available here and cost around Baht 1,000.00. That said, anyone who can afford a pool can afford the $30 for a RCCB. Not much considering the protection they afford - and there are plenty of homes in Europe that are still not equipped with them.

We would not consider installing or servicing electrical pool equipment without one and we refuse to carry out any electrical work on a pool, even replacing pumps, underwater lights, or installing additional electrical accessories if a customer refuses to let us install one or refuses to upgrade his load centre or consumer unit.