Beef, Steaks and minced beef

Gonsalviz

Lotus has dried up what little you could find there. I am trying to source someplace to buy decent steaks in beef in Udon. Not interested in rump, round or shanks. Ribeye, tenderloin or strip loin called New York Strip where I am from.

When I was able to shop at Foodland, the 'Pen Fed' beef was good enough for me. I did a search and the latest thread was from 2005 or 2010

American beef (my preference) is way over priced. Next in line is Kiwi beef but I'll take Aussie beef too. Local pen fed is fine too. Anything is better than the supposed beef I got from Makro. I'd feel bad feeding that to dogs.

I heard about the Thai-French beef place moving and being low on stock. Are they still in business? Where are they now? Would they order some for me? Are there alternative choices?

Thanks for informed help.

The Thai-French beef is still operating out of Sakon Nakon .I drive up there occasionally to stock up on edible steaks. It would be hard to find with out some one showing the way but it is about 10 miles short of Sakon on the Mukdahan road.

Consider Western Wholesale Meat Company (WWMCo) in Jomtien.

http://www.wwmco.asia/

Last April, I ordered 500g (18 oz) Ribeye steaks and 600g (21 oz) T-Bone steaks from their web site. The meat was very tender.

The order was sent via bus in a cooler with dry ice and arrived on the day I asked for it to arrive.

I also ordered their Gammon (Ham) from the cooked meat section along with 350g Pork chops and 300g Pork steaks....... awesome.

I will order from them again.

The Thai-French beef is still operating out of Sakon Nakon .I drive up there occasionally to stock up on edible steaks. It would be hard to find with out some one showing the way but it is about 10 miles short of Sakon on the Mukdahan road.

I need a translation. Does that mean it is 10 miles (16 km) east of Sakon Nakon on hiway 223? Near Khok Si Suphan District?

Last April, I ordered 500g (18 oz) Ribeye steaks and 600g (21 oz) T-Bone steaks from their web site. The meat was very tender.

The order was sent via bus in a cooler with dry ice and arrived on the day I asked for it to arrive.

I also ordered their Gammon (Ham) from the cooked meat section along with 350g Pork chops and 300g Pork steaks....... awesome.

Sound like a good idea. Where are you located?

I am in BFE Nong Bua Lamphu near Loei. I have ordered stuff from BKK before and got it the next day. I am sure it was sent in the morning or came over night. Just wondering how logistics would work for me.

I am in BFE Nong Bua Lamphu near Loei. I have ordered stuff from BKK before and got it the next day. I am sure it was sent in the morning or came over night. Just wondering how logistics would work for me.

Buriram......

They sent on the night bus, sent me a text on the arrival time and which bus company. Showed up at the bus station and I put the order in the car and went home and started BBQ'ing!

One other question. If I order 10 steaks, are they in one package frozen together, individually packaged or what? I will only eat one at a time as my wife doesn't eat beef at least until she knows what good beef tastes like.

Also burgers, if you know?

Try the Thai French Butcher online. I thought I had their web site book marked but can't find it.

Their proper name is Pon-Yang-Khram Livestock and Breeding Cooperative.

Their beef is worth the drive in my opinion

Good Luck

Buriram......

They sent on the night bus, sent me a text on the arrival time and which bus company. Showed up at the bus station and I put the order in the car and went home and started BBQ'ing!

I am guessing Wang Saphung or Loei would be best for me. Nong Bua Lamphu might be a possibility. Thanks.

Try the Thai French Butcher online. I thought I had their web site book marked but can't find it.

Good Luck

Looked them up. The prices are sky high compared to the other place and the prices quoted were from 2009.

Buriram......

I am guessing Wang Saphung or Loei would be best for me. Nong Bua Lamphu might be a possibility. Thanks.

Another option......

Chern Chim Steakhouse in Udon carries WWMCo products. http://chernchim.com/

Worth an order just to see if you like their products!

Good Luck

I have just had a delivery from them,came down to korat on their wagon on its way to bkk.I don't think they would deliver a small amount,but they do have walk in shops.i had 16k worth of rib-eye,sirlion,pinbone,short ribs,for roasts top round,and bottom round for stews and burgers.its the best I have had in 30yrs.

the op.mentions pen fed beef I used to buy this at siam jusco in ratchada in the 80s I to found it ok.

Good Luck

Looked them up. The prices are sky high compared to the other place and the prices quoted were from 2009.

Prices I found today are from this year...

T-bone 539

Tenderloin / Filet 1,120

Striploin 695

Sirloin / Rump 380

Ribeye 620

http://www.thaifrenchbeef.com/Price.html

Bye,

Derk

Went to Chern Chim in Udon today. Burgers were 140/kilo.

Striploins 435/kilo

Gammon ham steaks 190/kilo.

Forgive me if the prices are not exact but I know they are close.

I bought a bunch of beef. 20 120 gm burgers

a whole striploin.

4 striploins

4 gammon steaks

4 waygu sandwich steaks

4 waygu steaks

Just under 6000 Baht.

They have a lot and will custom order, cut, package and freeze for you. Just call and they will tell you when to pick up. Forgot to ask if they ship but I am sure they will. Tasmanian Black Angus.

If it is good, The Aussie running the place says thee beef is excellent, I will be going back.

Go to Mukdahan and then take highway 12 to Kalasin on the left hand side about 50 to 60 kilometers west across from a petroleum station is Nongsung. Meats copied after Thai French Meats and just as good if not better. A fair bit closer to you.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Issangeorge
  • Like 1

I need a translation. Does that mean it is 10 miles (16 km) east of Sakon Nakon on hiway 223? Near Khok Si Suphan District?

Yes that is correct. Highway 223 and about one km west of Khok Si Suphan. But it seems you may have a good supplier already, I may try them out also.

Buriram......

Why go to all that hassle?

Have you not heard of the Burirampieman? Google him.

Buriram......

Where do you thank he gets his meat from?whistling.gif

Thanks for all the help. I thought I was doomed to eat local beef.

Nothing wrong with local beef if you know what you are buying etc.

Remember, the steaks from Western Wholesale Meat Co, Acorn etc are Thai beef. But, they know where to buy to ensure that it has been aged.

When I had a restaurant I bought many steaks from WWMCo and at the time I was paying around 450 Baht/kg from memory. The missus was also buying beef tenderloin in the local market at 150 Baht/kg and with a bit of culling and tenderising they produced pretty decent steaks.

• Like 1

Buriram......

What hassle...... the only hassle is for WWMCo, they have to package and ship the order. I just need to stop and pick it up while going to Big C to do my normal shopping!

Oh, I too use Google when I need to.

What does I will take Australian beef too mean exactly?

Australian beef is arguably the best in the world.

Only if raised by an expat Scot!!!!!

I saw a program not long ago on Australian tv.about one of the top cattle breeders who for 16yrs.had been trying to breed a good eat,he has finally achieved his goal, Aberdeen angus and old Devonshire long horn.he already has angus cross welsh blacks.

auzies breed beefy rugby players that's about all. and don't mention sheep they are alright for stew.

MEATBOY

What does I will take Australian beef too mean exactly?

Australian beef is arguably the best in the world.

Only if the wranglers were wearing their wellies.whistling.gif

Oww the sheep are shaking from that comment.

:P

Go to Mukdahan and then take highway 12 to Kalasin on the left hand side about 50 to 60 kilometers west across from a petroleum station is Nongsung. Meats copied after Thai French Meats and just as good if not better. A fair bit closer to you.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I've gotten beef from both places.....Nong Sung beef is far and away better than that supplied in Sakon Nakon. Highly doubtful that they will ship it, however, if you need to travel to Muk or points East, it's worth a stop on the way home.

• Like 1