Decline in tourist arrivals?

WinnieTheKhwai

Maybe we should have a survey as to which nationalities "get" sarcasm.

All my posts have sarcasm there that's why they fall on deaf ears,

Oh, so your post about how well your business was doing was sarcastic. In that case, I'm sorry about your financial distress and hope business picks up for you in the future.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the slow down will be noticed more this high season. People who are right now looking to book holidays for later this year are less likely to come to thailand.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Are you proposing that Thailand should reject the democratic principle of one person, one vote? I do not know enough of Thai politics to express any view at all but please remember that the "clique" you refer were elected by a large majority of the population.

In my opinion, hugh2121, most of the foreigners in Chiang Mai have no idea what is really happening in Thai politics (and most everything else, for that matter). If a person cannot speak, read, and understand Thai, they cannot even start to understand how Thais think, in my opinion. Furthermore, I can appreciate that the longer one lives in Chiang Mai, they may understand more than before living here, but still I don't think non-Thais will ever fully understand.

I am amazed at the people that are here for a relatively short time (compared to a local native) and think they understand the thinking and appropriateness of all that goes on. I have asked before how long one has to live here to be an "old-timer" or not a "new comer". I have never gotten an answer.

Many people come from Western countries saying they like the Thai life style, then wish for amenities and pleasures that are available where they came from. Then wonder why the prices go up.

Most posters that I personally consider having been here a long time (much longer than me) do not espouse the views posted by people living here 2, 4, 6, 10 years, for example. I enjoy reading the posts from these "old timers".

Of course there are posters that understand that they do not understand.

Maybe I am just having a slow morning...... again.

Just to pick up one one thing.

Speaking, reading and understanding Thai would not make you understand them or how they think. There are members here from the States and the UK , both speak English and don't understand their politics or understand them.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

+++++++++++++Just to pick up one one thing.

Speaking, reading and understanding Thai would not make you understand them or how they think. There are members here from the States and the UK , both speak English and don't understand their politics or understand them.

It would probably be different if you lived there and slept with their women every night.

Hi we arrived yesterday at 2pm and the plane was totally full from Bangkok

my travel insurance from the uk informed me that it is valid as long as the gov warnings don't advise against travel

Right, so if they decide to follow the US government tomorrow, then instantly you're uninsured.

However, one distinction that I'm wondering about is *travel insurance* versus *health / accident insurance.*

Travel insurance is a quite optional to me; that's where you get money if you misplace your camera or drop your phone into the ocean, and where they'll give you money for a new toothbrush if your bags don't shop up on the belt. I don't care about having or not having it.

However, travel health insurance is quite a different matter. This pays your hospital bills (and ensures prompt service at hospitals just by virtue of having it) and also includes paying for a medical evacuation / repatriation in case you get sick or have an accident abroad. Most people would not want to forego that.

(The above is a question by the way, not a statement: I don't know if people's (travel) health insurance would still be valid when there is a negative travel advisory in place, and would really like to know. Lets assume that the accident or illness has nothing to do with any political trouble. (Which is the overwhelming likelyhood, of course.)

yes by travel insurance i mean that it is fully covered for hospital and accidents

and my insurance company advised that should things change i will still be covered because i have already started my trip before any change

my travel insurance from the uk informed me that it is valid as long as the gov warnings don't advise against travel

Right, so if they decide to follow the US government tomorrow, then instantly you're uninsured.

However, one distinction that I'm wondering about is *travel insurance* versus *health / accident insurance.*

Travel insurance is a quite optional to me; that's where you get money if you misplace your camera or drop your phone into the ocean, and where they'll give you money for a new toothbrush if your bags don't shop up on the belt. I don't care about having or not having it.

However, travel health insurance is quite a different matter. This pays your hospital bills (and ensures prompt service at hospitals just by virtue of having it) and also includes paying for a medical evacuation / repatriation in case you get sick or have an accident abroad. Most people would not want to forego that.

(The above is a question by the way, not a statement: I don't know if people's (travel) health insurance would still be valid when there is a negative travel advisory in place, and would really like to know. Lets assume that the accident or illness has nothing to do with any political trouble. (Which is the overwhelming likelyhood, of course.)

I have friends coming to visit from the USA. Their health insurance policy also covers travel abroad. The insurance company says that they are covered here no matter what.

I have friends coming to visit from the USA. Their health insurance policy also covers travel abroad. The insurance company says that they are covered here no matter what.

Seems like travel insurance is not the problem.

Could just maybe it be that this is low season. Instead of trying to say this or that is the problem it would be wise to say this is how many we had last year on June the 6 and this is how many we have this year on June 6. Could be they are the same. Give it a couple of weeks and then look at the figures. That is when most North American schools will be out for the summer. Should give a boost to the family travelers.

Just picked this up on the Thai Visa National forum.

Tourist numbers drop by 10 per cent

BANGKOK: -- Thailand suffered a 10-per-cent reduction in tourist numbers in Thailand between May 2013 and the same period this year, the Department of Tourism said on Friday.

According to the director of Department of Tourism, Anupap Gaesornsuwan, the number of tourists from around the world was recorded at 1,736,744 during May 2014, a 10.66 per cent decline over the previous uear.

The political situation, such as demonstration on the streets of Bangkok, was largely responsible for the decline in the number of tourists.

Pretty well tells the figures and explains that the problem is more of a Bangkok issue.

Yeah right. More like most adults don't want to be told they have to go to bed early like a naughty child, or that they could get arrested for popping to 7-11 to pick up a pack of sugar.

I'm sure the grown up countries are enjoying the new business.

• Like 1

Winnie, my understanding is that what matters most is if there was a warning in place, when you bought the policy and/or it's effective date. And even then...it would only effect the evacuation coverage...not the medical coverage....and they would still evacuate you for medical emergency but not because it suddenly became completely unsafe for farang. I'm with www.hcc.com

and they are underwritten by Lloyds of London, which is the same for many of them (IMG for example). The biggest factor on pricing continues to be whether or not you will be in the US or one of its territories. I've got a million USD coverage with a 100 USD deductible for 105 per month.....I've given just about every one that's advertised a chance to match and it ain't even close.

Has nothing to do with politics. There was just a law past that makes soliciting prostitutes punishable by 3-5 years in jail. See the Bangkok Post article June, 3 2014.

How do they pass a law when there is no parliament or senate? I can see a law being declared or a new order released, but not a law passed.

Anyway, if true I'm surprised there hasn't been some comment in the news, Bangkok or Pataya forums.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I for the life of me can not understand why people would not come to Thailand for a holiday.

I do understand why the ones who want to drink and carouse all night don't come. But for the rest of them their is in reality no reason not to come.

The problem is the lack of or even trying to understand what is happening in Thailand and the down right refusal to look at how safe people are here. Far safer than in many of the cities in the countries who are warning tourists against Thailand are.

I do how ever admit that the tourism in other countries is rising as many people have been to Thailand often and heard of these other countries and decide to visit them for a change.

Edit

The media misinformation has caused several people from back home to question me about it. I suggest that they might take a look at how unsafe it is in some of their big cities yet no one say's don't go to Chicago or L A. even though you are not as safe there as you are here.

I like your 'edit' comment.

Since the 'coup' I've had several friends from US, Australia, and Germany, either call (one from Australia almost in panic) or e-mail to check if I'm alive, in detention or need food, etc.

What generated this? Local reporting in these countries and local government bases warnings to avoid Thailand.

Governments around the world are totally predictable when it comes to issuing travel warnings to countries that may have some internal conflict going on.

Its a cover your backside approach ie if something does happen do you don't day we didn't warn you.

Its far safer today in Thailand than it was a few weeks ago as all of us, that live here, know full well.

The smart/experienced traveller of course knows there is never a better time to come to Thailand as the "buy 2 nights get one free" signs are dusted off.

Having said that they are in the minority and the "fear" factor usually wins. I never believe Thai Tourist Authority figures.

I have friend with a GH in town and he has had a few cancellations but one man surveys mean little very little either.

I think some of them do it to take the spot light off them. There are a lot of not very bright people in the world who hear no elections for a year as the country needs time to get rid of the corruption as a bad thing. We even have people here on Thai Visa who know how bad it is. But for personal reasons either deny it or justify it.sad.png

The Military DON'T ALLOW ME to say what I think

And people wonder why visitors are advised not to come to Thailand right now LOL

Governments around the world are totally predictable when it comes to issuing travel warnings to countries that may have some internal conflict going on.

Its a cover your backside approach ie if something does happen do you don't day we didn't warn you.

Its far safer today in Thailand than it was a few weeks ago as all of us, that live here, know full well.

The smart/experienced traveller of course knows there is never a better time to come to Thailand as the "buy 2 nights get one free" signs are dusted off.

Having said that they are in the minority and the "fear" factor usually wins. I never believe Thai Tourist Authority figures.

I have friend with a GH in town and he has had a few cancellations but one man surveys mean little very little either.

I think some of them do it to take the spot light off them. There are a lot of not very bright people in the world who hear no elections for a year as the country needs time to get rid of the corruption as a bad thing. We even have people here on Thai Visa who know how bad it is. But for personal reasons either deny it or justify it.sad.png

And people wonder why visitors are advised not to come to Thailand right now LOL

On the nail!

On the nail!

Absolutely smack on. A little bit ironic too with the anniversary of D day and being stuck in situ without the right to free speech. Ironic is one point of view but basically its just sad.

• Like 1

On the nail!

Absolutely smack on. A little bit ironic too with the anniversary of D day and being stuck in situ without the right to free speech. Ironic is one point of view but basically its just sad.

Wake up people and smell the coffee. Thailand like every other country in the world does not have freedom of speech. The people have been coming to Thailand for years and it has never bothered them. What bothers them is the misinformation the foreign media is handing out. Similar to the information you are trying to pass on that Thailand has always had freedom of speech and all of a sudden doesn't.

As I said in an earlier post it is the fear of the military creating a dangerous inviormental that the foreign press has been handing out that people were afraid of. I personally have had three people contact me from North America and not one word about freedom of speech was mentioned. It was are the streets safe to which I replied safer than most of the big cities in your country.

On May the 29 the CNN had a report about visiting Chiang Mai. Not one single word in there to in any way install fear in people or say you have to keep your mouth shut. Fear lives in the head not on the streets of Thailand.