World War II bomb found at Bangkok MRT project site

webfact

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"a rose is a rose is a rose...." I would not call a 500 lb bomb "huge". Big enough, but not "huge". Then again, gf says parts of me are "huge", so maybe just a Siamese thing?

1lb of explosive is enough to destroy a car, 500lbs of explosive by any measure could easily be classed as "huge" the potential damage from this size of bomb could be catastrophic.

I've been with EOD guys who destroyed quite a few 500lb bombs from the Iran/Iraq war, and they went off with a pretty big boom, as well as a decent enough shock wave that would ruin your day if you were in close proximity of it!! :D

• Like 2

What is this THING? Looks like some Alien life form or giant mushroom. Doesn't look much like a bomb. See how it's all askew and out of line, as if made from some soft matter

A lot of arial ordnance doesn't look like a classic "cartoon style" bomb.

The OP did say that the digger did some damage to this one. It's a miracle it didn't explode, as these bombs had/have a very simple impact detonator, or fuse.

I just wonder if they have the necessary equipment to make it safe. Destroying it in-situ is not an option. It's reasonably unlikely they can get the fuse out and, as it's already fractured, it will be highly unstable. Maybe they will have to call in some foreign assistance here, but something tells me they won't.

Believe it or not, the SOP where I come from is to steam out the explosives with a sort-of vacuum cleaner.

Thai EOD teams are quite good. I've seen their training and their equipment and they are up to date with any other army / police teams. Usually the SOP is to move the explosive to blast proof container and move it away for destruction...

Oh righty. So they do all that for the pics - sparkling new vehicles and uniforms etc, then when it comes to the real stuff, they just wander over and stick a pin in it.

There has been a big change over the past years - a big leap in terms of knowledge, training and equipment. Given the situation in South, Thai EOD teams are one of the most experienced in SEA. FYI they regularly train with foreign forces and I can tel you they were impressed (talked to AFP guys about 10 months back who were here on exchange).

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Are they sure it's not just a giant wooden phallus dropped from someone's keychain?

yeah....that's what I think it is too.....

Was Bangkok 'bombed' during WWII ?

Not a piss take, I didn't know.

What was the history?

The allies bombed it at the start of ww2 because Thailand sympathised with the Axis, particularly Japan. Then things started to get a bit hot and the Japs started to lose, so Thailand kinda changed sides later in the war, and just about denied everything, as they do. It's called 'pragmatism' - subai subai.

Actually sounds like they acted in their interest of their own people and country and did it successfully staying out as much as possible of a war they wanted no part of.

• Like 1

What is this THING? Looks like some Alien life form or giant mushroom. Doesn't look much like a bomb. See how it's all askew and out of line, as if made from some soft matter

The OP did say that the digger did some damage to this one. It's a miracle it didn't explode, as these bombs had/have a very simple impact detonator, or fuse.

I just wonder if they have the necessary equipment to make it safe. Destroying it in-situ is not an option. It's reasonably unlikely they can get the fuse out and, as it's already fractured, it will be highly unstable. Maybe they will have to call in some foreign assistance here, but something tells me they won't.

Believe it or not, the SOP where I come from is to steam out the explosives with a sort-of vacuum cleaner.

Thai EOD teams are quite good. I've seen their training and their equipment and they are up to date with any other army / police teams. Usually the SOP is to move the explosive to blast proof container and move it away for destruction...

I am not calling the local EOD teams' abilities into question.

What they have to deal with here is a highly unstable device, made FAR worse by the fact that it is damaged.

Their first priority is to try and remove the detonator. IF they can do that, they are nearly home and free, as the explosives can be neutralised with chemicals. I fear that getting the det out may not be feasible for a number of reasons, not the least will be either corrosion, or that it may be on the underside.

As for moving it into a blast proof container that would work, well I'll believe it when I see it. That thing is in a highly built-up area and I cannot conceive of anything that would contain the blast of 250Kg of Tritonal in such a scenario.

Back in the day!

Excellent English thai good girl!

I'm impressed!

I'm not that impressed with her English. She (if it is a she) should work on her capitalization and punctuation. But it's the message that counts and I am more impressed with that.

And that is the most important thing here, to impress you two clowns with our English skills.

Edited by MMarlow

What was the history?

Wikipedia is your friend! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Bangkok_in_World_War_II

"Allied bombing raids on the Thai capital city of Bangkok began even before Thailand had declared war, since the Empire of Japan was using the country as a staging area for its invasions of both Malaya and Burma, with the agreement of the Thai government after Japan's successful invasion of the southeast Asian country. The first raid came on January 7, 1942, when Royal Air Force (RAF) aircraft flying fromRangoon, attacked military targets in the city.[1][2] The American Volunteer Group, together with seven No. 113 Squadron RAF and three No. 45 Squadron RAFBlenheim bombers, were involved in the first raid.[3] No. 113 Squadron's planes were piloted by No. 60 Squadron's air crew. The second night raid was carried out with 8 Blenheims on 24-25 January and included No. 60 Squadron RAF aircrew.[4] A final raid was made three days later by four Blenheims. This was the last raid by Blenheims until May or June 1945."

Fact check: Thailand was not involved in WW2.

SIAM was.

This enables Thais to say Thailand has never been invaded.

Huhh ??? That is a bit of semantic pedantry... They can change the name 20 times, it is

still the same place. Thailand has been invaded by the Burma, Japan, and Cambodia. The

point of pride for Thailand is never having been colonized, the fate of most other third

world countries.....

• Like 1

I am not calling the local EOD teams' abilities into question.

What they have to deal with here is a highly unstable device, made FAR worse by the fact that it is damaged.

Their first priority is to try and remove the detonator. IF they can do that, they are nearly home and free, as the explosives can be neutralised with chemicals. I fear that getting the det out may not be feasible for a number of reasons, not the least will be either corrosion, or that it may be on the underside.

As for moving it into a blast proof container that would work, well I'll believe it when I see it. That thing is in a highly built-up area and I cannot conceive of anything that would contain the blast of 250Kg of Tritonal in such a scenario.

It gets more complicated than this, bombs usually have two fuzes (nose & tail), some were mechanic, some simple glass container with chemical (acid) that ruptured when bomb hit ground. The first thing is to identify the bomb and then you know what you are dealing with. And yes, Thais have experience with dealing with WWII bombs, they only make it to the news recently when one exploded, but many of them were dug up in Kanchanaburi and other places

• Like 1

I'm wondering why there seems to be so many of these undetonated bombs being found given the relatively few (I'm guessing) Bangkok bombing raids. Could it be that the detonators did not function well when hitting/embedding-in Bangkok's soft mud/clay. Any (surviving) WWII aerial bomb detonator experts about to comment?

BTW, if anyone comes across one of these unexploded Tallboy Bombs, check what country you're in (after you put a sizable distance between it and you.

What was the history?

Have you never heard of google? It's a web site where you can get questions answered.

Bombing of Bangkok in World War II

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Bangkok_in_World_War_II

Yes, David48 had apparently discovered TVF and his internet skills and familiarization ended there as he proceeded with his 12,239 posts. You should have given him the Google (Thai version) link as well:

Google_for_David48 <----- (click on this David48, use your mouse - left button)

wow he only asked a question..maybe so some of you can enlighten him with your vast superior knowledge of world history..i believe he was adding to an interesting topic..i still have much to learn about your sarcasm/wit/or just nastiness...you choose.wai2.gif

First of all, since none of us were alive during that time, we can't use our vast, superior knowledge of world history to enlighten David48. I did give him the courtesy of responding to his post and even made the effort to go on google to find the link for him. I was not rude. What's your problem? I generally expect to read opinions or referenced facts on this forum. Questions here are usually rhetorical or sarcastic. He could have typed the question into google with fewer keystrokes than asking forum members to look up something he could have easily found himself. Is he that helpless?

• Like 1

I'm wondering why there seems to be so many of these undetonated bombs being found given the relatively few (I'm guessing) Bangkok bombing raids. Could it be that the detonators did not function well when hitting/embedding-in Bangkok's soft mud/clay. Any (surviving) WWII aerial bomb detonator experts about to comment?

BTW, if anyone comes across one of these unexploded Tallboy Bombs, check what country you're in (after you put a sizable distance between it and you.

Even today, a great deal of ordnance fails, or is a dud.

That said, failure to detonate on impact don't mean it may not later.

So far, this year, I have read of at least one bomb found in London's Thames River at low tide and another in Frankfort Germany. High altitude bombing was so inaccurate that what they lacked in accuracy, they made up with quantity. I expect bombs from that war and others will be killing people into the next century. Damned shame.

As for Tall Boy bombs, even a small Cambodian land mine can kill you just as dead.

Usually, an aircraft bomb has a tail fuze (with a small propeller) that unscrew when dropped after few hundred meters which will arm nose fuze (usually impact / point detonating). If you see any WWII bombings, you can see the bombs dropped very fast and very close to each other. Sometimes they collided together in the air disabling tail fuze, then nose fuze was not armed when hit the ground and it did not explode. The tail of the bomb could be ripped off and bomb hit ground "backwards"... The other reason are malfunctions - the bombs were produced fast in large quantities...

I am confused.

Which side was Thailand on???? in 1941?

I cannot imagine for one second that they allied themselves to those NASTY Japanese! and allowed them free passage into northern Malaya and Burma

Please don't talk about the war!

Let us pretend it did not happen

Maybe the big bomb was a big mistake?

OOOPS, I remember now, they changed sides in 1945 , but we are not allowed to talk about that.

Labour on the Burmese railway gives a clue.

Americans 700 Deaths 355

Australia 13000 Deaths 2710

Dutch 18000 Deaths 2830

British 30000 Deaths 6540

Locals 200000 Deaths 80000

Get it right! Those are not local deaths , but forced labour Asians which the Japs brought in to work, most of them starved to death. They were not Thais.

• Like 1

The fight against the invading Japanese lasted about 12 hours. The Thai government then collaborated with the Japanese, at that time crimes against humanity by the Japanese was not known by the majority. The Thai saw an opportunity to recover the land lost to the British and the French (25% of the country) under king Chulalongkorn. They had a short war against the French (Vichy government), on the Cambodian border and near Koh Chang where they lost 2 ships. The Japanese intervened because the Vichy government collaborated with the Germans who were their allies and they actually occupied the french colonies so they allowed the Thais to recover a couple of islands on the Mekong river. The Thai army declared victory and erected the victory monument in Bangkok.

Edited by Zyxel
  • Like 1

A vintage aerial bomb discovered yesterday at a site near Bang Sue train station marked for construction of a Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) train station was secured by the Air Force.

Not to deter from the history lessons but just to correct a major error.

This was found at the SRT construction site for the huge new Bang Sue Intercity Terminal that is being built - see render below. All SRT trains will depart from this station once it is completed. Nothing to do with the MRT. Also, it is the 2nd WWII bomb to be found there, the other at the end of March. Probably a few more to be discovered yet. Who'd want to be the one operating the excavators??

006bsgs.jpg

Here is some history of bombing raids from Khun Wisarut on the 2 Bangkok site; (

9-10 Jan 1944 - 7 bombers of B-24 from Wing 10 laying mines at Paknam and bombing Bangsue yard along with Donmeang Air Force base at the broad day light

12 Jan 1944 - at 2110 - 14 bombers of B-24 from Wing 14 planning to bomb Bangsue but they actually mistake Bangkok railway terminal at Hua Lamphong as Bangsue yard - Bombs also Hit Bang Rak area, Yannawa area and Silom area - destroying German Embassy at Soi Suan Ploo and Pramuan Mark press - one dude bomb has been sunk near the ladders of General Post Office - cannot be recovered until today - the bombs also damage Anantasamakhom Throne Hall

19 Jan 1944 - 16 bombers of B-24 from Wing 10 bombing Bangsue Yard and Donmueang Air Force Base

Sunday 5 June 1944
at 1052 - 1200 77 bombers of B-29 from 20th Air Forces (462nd Strategic Aerospace Wing which consist of 68th Bombardment Squadron, 769th Bombardment Squadron, 770th Bombardment Squadron, 771st Bombardment Squadron from 4 Air Force bases in India planning to bomb Makkasan Factory (RSR Center for Locomotive repair) with 10000 lb incendiary bombs + navigation radar for dropping the bomb - but the cloudy sky of BKK at that Visakhapbcha day of 1994 have forced the bombers to sow the bombers elsewhere around BKK from 17000-27000 Feet level - ONLY 18 bombs hitting Makkasan ... they even plan to bomb Bangsue Yard, and Memorial bridge-Wat liab Power Plant ---- But it has hit Japanese Hospoital and Kempaitai Unit at Ban Moh area instead. Tram has been damaged - bangkokians started to evacuated to live in BKK Suburbs - Government has to shut down the schools and Universities for safety reason.

RTAF sending 3 Ki-43 HAYABUSA along with 6 IJA fighters to intercept B29 bombers but not working

at least 5 B29 bombers got accidents or mechanic troubles, 4 Bombers have to make a landing on the sea due to the storm - the other 42 heading back to the bases.

18 Nov 1944 - 10 bombers of B24 type attacking Bangsue Yard - RTAF sending 3 Ki-43 HAYABUSA to fight but B24 bombers just fly away.

27 Nov 1944 - US Army aviation did some aviation recon for taking a photo at day before sending 55 bombers of B29 from Wing 20 to bomb Bangsue Yard

27 Dec 1944 - B29 bombers from 468th Strategic Aerospace Wing of Wing 20 attacking Bangsue Yard and Bangkok terminal at Bangsue with 500 lb bombs - inflicted so many damaged on steam locos and carriages.
  • Like 1

Here is some history of bombing raids from Khun Wisarut on the 2 Bangkok site; (

9-10 Jan 1944 - 7 bombers of B-24 from Wing 10 laying mines at Paknam and bombing Bangsue yard along with Donmeang Air Force base at the broad day light

12 Jan 1944 - at 2110 - 14 bombers of B-24 from Wing 14 planning to bomb Bangsue but they actually mistake Bangkok railway terminal at Hua Lamphong as Bangsue yard - Bombs also Hit Bang Rak area, Yannawa area and Silom area - destroying German Embassy at Soi Suan Ploo and Pramuan Mark press - one dude bomb has been sunk near the ladders of General Post Office - cannot be recovered until today - the bombs also damage Anantasamakhom Throne Hall

19 Jan 1944 - 16 bombers of B-24 from Wing 10 bombing Bangsue Yard and Donmueang Air Force Base

Sunday 5 June 1944

at 1052 - 1200 77 bombers of B-29 from 20th Air Forces (462nd Strategic Aerospace Wing which consist of 68th Bombardment Squadron, 769th Bombardment Squadron, 770th Bombardment Squadron, 771st Bombardment Squadron from 4 Air Force bases in India planning to bomb Makkasan Factory (RSR Center for Locomotive repair) with 10000 lb incendiary bombs + navigation radar for dropping the bomb - but the cloudy sky of BKK at that Visakhapbcha day of 1994 have forced the bombers to sow the bombers elsewhere around BKK from 17000-27000 Feet level - ONLY 18 bombs hitting Makkasan ... they even plan to bomb Bangsue Yard, and Memorial bridge-Wat liab Power Plant ---- But it has hit Japanese Hospoital and Kempaitai Unit at Ban Moh area instead. Tram has been damaged - bangkokians started to evacuated to live in BKK Suburbs - Government has to shut down the schools and Universities for safety reason.

RTAF sending 3 Ki-43 HAYABUSA along with 6 IJA fighters to intercept B29 bombers but not working

at least 5 B29 bombers got accidents or mechanic troubles, 4 Bombers have to make a landing on the sea due to the storm - the other 42 heading back to the bases.

18 Nov 1944 - 10 bombers of B24 type attacking Bangsue Yard - RTAF sending 3 Ki-43 HAYABUSA to fight but B24 bombers just fly away.

27 Nov 1944 - US Army aviation did some aviation recon for taking a photo at day before sending 55 bombers of B29 from Wing 20 to bomb Bangsue Yard

27 Dec 1944 - B29 bombers from 468th Strategic Aerospace Wing of Wing 20 attacking Bangsue Yard and Bangkok terminal at Bangsue with 500 lb bombs - inflicted so many damaged on steam locos and carriages.

Interesting. Didn't know RTAF was allowed to use the Japanese planes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakajima_Ki-43

• Like 1