NCPO says it has not yet invited anyone to help with Thailand's infrastructure affairs

webfact

NCPO says it has not yet invited anyone to help with infrastructure affairs

PNECO570604001000301_04062014_101328.jpg

BANGKOK, 4 June 2014 (NNT) – The National Council for Peace and Order asserted on Tuesday it had yet to invite anybody to help with the 2 trillion baht infrastructure development project, responding to the offer by former transport minister Chatchart Sittipunt who said he was ready to help the NCPO with the infrastructure affairs.

According to Deputy Army spokesperson Natthawat Chancharoen, the NCPO has at this time no plan to invite any one to help with the infrastructure project. He added that consideration was being made on investment projects in rail networks and high-speed trains. Although each project was under review, it was likely that that dual-track rail system will be pushed ahead first, Colonel Natthawat said.

Former transport minister Chatchart had earlier indicated he was ready to collaborate with the NCPO in relation to the 2 trillion baht infrastructure investments, although he had not been contacted by the NCPO.

Originally, the 2 trillion baht infrastructure investments were scheduled to be undertaken between 2013 and 2020. 80% of the budget was slated to go to construction of rail networks. The project, however, has been derailed by the constitutional court.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-04 footer_n.gif

Disregarding all politics or allegiances, Chatchart Sittipunt did a superb presentation on the infrastructure plan last year at the Conrad hotel.

I do hope the military enlist the right people to advise on these kind of things.

Even if Chatchart cannot assist them, they could at least enroll him in a PR side, he is a great presenter.

I still have the presentation if anyone wants it- at the very least it explains the whole thing in more simplistic terms.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Disregarding all politics or allegiances, Chatchart Sittipunt did a superb presentation on the infrastructure plan last year at the Conrad hotel.

I do hope the military enlist the right people to advise on these kind of things.

Even if Chatchart cannot assist them, they could at least enroll him in a PR side, he is a great presenter.

I still have the presentation if anyone wants it- at the very least it explains the whole thing in more simplistic terms.

But what's his agenda?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

But what's his agenda?

Well if he had an agenda which was contrary to what the junta wanted, i doubt he would be stupid enough to do it under their noses!, unless you are suggesting that the junta are so incompetent or easily manipulated that they would be complicit or ignore said agenda.

As i said, if you had seen the talk or the presentation and taken it at face value, it was extremely impressive and persuasive.

I'm not saying he isn't genuine but i do remember he was a publicity seeker when in office.

There was the bus to the airport stunt which he had to abandon but ' luckily ' his official car was readily available. He took a ' secret ' trip on a train and wouldn't you know a tv news crew just happened to be on board too.

They keep tossin this figure of 2.2tn around NKK, I thought it had been sent to the scrap bin, now its back on the table and everyone say's its a grand plan , how are they going to pay for this, same old question

• Like 2

I'm not saying he isn't genuine but i do remember he was a publicity seeker when in office.

There was the bus to the airport stunt which he had to abandon but ' luckily ' his official car was readily available. He took a ' secret ' trip on a train and wouldn't you know a tv news crew just happened to be on board too.

They keep tossin this figure of 2.2tn around NKK, I thought it had been sent to the scrap bin, now its back on the table and everyone say's its a grand plan , how are they going to pay for this, same old question

No no,you don't understand. This time its different, there is just even less checks and balances, but its okay, you know the army are well known for their scrupulous book taking, fiscal transparency and prudence with their budgets and purchasers......

Not just sure what to make of this ex minister of transport.

He looked as if he was actually trying to do something and may have some ideas, then he started appearing as the staunchest supporter of the off budget fund raising.

Something that should never have been contemplated with the unaccountability and future debt burden it would have brought with it.

Then he accompanied Yingluck on all her trips to the north.

Whether this was a show of loyalty to the one who gave him the job, or PT staking their claim on him, or even keeping him on a short chain so he couldn't do or say anything while they were away, who knows.

It remains to be seen whether he has a positive contribution to make and if he has, is he willing to make it without bringing his previous loyalties with him.

• Like 1

But what's his agenda?

Easy to see..... Many large Thai compaanies have already paid out the huge bribes to certain prominent PTP ministers,, They want their moneys back, He needs to be back in there to try and ensure the said companies hold onto their already paid for contracts because he has already salted away his share... and that was the Lions share as he was the minister. 50% also went across the desert to Big Brother... who will never give back anything. Thats my idea anyways and not much except suicide will change my mind.whistling.gif

You are a wise and canny man sir!

Smart of the junta to go for the dual track as most people are agreeing on this and all stays in the normal budget. If the PTP had done it this way people would have had so much less problems with them. The arrogance has cost them dearly.

Chatchart gets credit for presentation skills but anyone who was working for Thaksin must have been in it for the money or Thaksin would not have given them the job. He was minister of a large ministry that has traditionally been a huge money spinner for all Thaksin parties and Bhum Jai Thai under the Abhisit government. Thaksin's conditions would have been the same as for all ministers, i.e. you'll do exactly as I tell you, boy, or you'll be out on your ear. The clean image that Chatchart likes to present is at variance with the reality of life in a kleptocratic Thaksin government.

Chatchart gets credit for presentation skills but anyone who was working for Thaksin must have been in it for the money or Thaksin would not have given them the job. He was minister of a large ministry that has traditionally been a huge money spinner for all Thaksin parties and Bhum Jai Thai under the Abhisit government. Thaksin's conditions would have been the same as for all ministers, i.e. you'll do exactly as I tell you, boy, or you'll be out on your ear. The clean image that Chatchart likes to present is at variance with the reality of life in a kleptocratic Thaksin government.

I won't disagree and without trying to derail the thread, i think you would be hard pushed to find more than a handful of politicians here who are not in it for the money. A cursory glance over the life they lead, the assets they have would show that it pays well to be a politician regardless of party.

I would like the sentence above to be wrong, and there are hopefully some genuine people around, that perhaps just get tarred with the same brush like you have done Chatchart.

What about the water mitigation works?

These guys are acting like generals. They need to step up and run the country.

So they pull the contracts back so they get their tea and biscuts? So are the new contracts going to be transparent? Will the armed services personal step down if they have conflict of interest?

The Admiral was a board member of an oil company and Chair of Thai Air when deciding to put a hold on oil prices?

I see a lot write about graft and corruption. All I can see is that Mr T was an amature at this game.

For this country to get back on its feet, they need to build. New air planes are just going to put a drain on the country's foreign debt. Holding things back and not getting the right people into the job to administer the country is sending them backwards.

How many bites of the cherry can one have?

• Like 1

But what's his agenda?

Easy to see..... Many large Thai compaanies have already paid out the huge bribes to certain prominent PTP ministers,, They want their moneys back, He needs to be back in there to try and ensure the said companies hold onto their already paid for contracts because he has already salted away his share... and that was the Lions share as he was the minister. 50% also went across the desert to Big Brother... who will never give back anything. Thats my idea anyways and not much except suicide will change my mind.whistling.gif

Ok. I could suggest several bridges to jump from, or you could rent a fourth floor condo in Pattaya. If falling doesn't suit you, I recommend a cocktail of 100 mg. phenobarbital, 100 mg. Thorazine and 100 mg. Seconal --safe and restful sleep.

thumbsup.gif

But what's his agenda?

Well if he had an agenda which was contrary to what the junta wanted, i doubt he would be stupid enough to do it under their noses!, unless you are suggesting that the junta are so incompetent or easily manipulated that they would be complicit or ignore said agenda.

As i said, if you had seen the talk or the presentation and taken it at face value, it was extremely impressive and persuasive.

He was very good at PR but not so good at action - though the closure of the north section of the SRT Chiang Mai line for 7 weeks late last year was a good move to finally repair parts of the line.

It is important to note that NONE of the transport based projects of the 2.2 trillion baht package were new having all been proposed and or funded under the previous govt. PT only changed the priorities - especially in respect of the new HSR lines.

As a quick overview;

1) HSR lines -

These were all proposed prior to PT being elected - in fact the Rayong HSR line proposal goes back some 20 years. Had the Dems been re-elected in 2011 the Rayong line was due to start work by early 2012. Most likely it would not have but the first half of 2013 would have been realistic.

PT delayed the ongoing work of OTP & the SRT by 18 months by reviewing the lines and changing their priorities to the two north HSR lines for political purposes (which to be fair the Dems also prioritised the Rayong line for much of the same reasons). Chatchart stated that tenders would be done by the 3rd quarter of 2013 for the first sections to Korat and P'lok. However, he didn't meet any of the deadlines that he set.

2) Metro lines -

A glaring fact. Not one new or ext was tendered during the term on the previous govt!!!

(Technically the BTS Ext from Bearing to Samut Prakhan was but the tender went out in the last months of the Dems. Also, work finally started on the SRT Dark Red line but this contract was signed under the Dems and the became bogged down in a contractual dispute between the winner and the SRT). 2013 was to be the year when 3 new lines were tendered thus consolidating the basic mass transit/metro network in BKK....it didn't happen.

ARL ext - Although, the Minister stated in mid 2012 that the ARL ext to DMK was a priority (after the new 2 airport policy by the govt in April 2012), the tender was due to go out in early 2013 and then mid 2013 and then late 2013. It never did! Some priority

The PInk and Orange lines - which were due to be tendered in mid and then late 2013 never did get tendered. Once parliament was dissolved in late Nov 2013 funding became impossible for these new lines.

The knock on consequence of those 3 lines NOT being tendered in 2013 is that the next batch of tenders; Yellow Line, Purple Line ext and SRT Light Red line ext will all subsequently be delayed.

With a new coup govt reviewing all proposals it is difficult to see any of the lines being tendered by the end of 2014! Thus, we have what ends up being a 2 year delay!!! Thus, the coup exacerbates the delays!

Even the one progress on this front of the BTS Ext from Mo Chit to Lam Lukka which was being tendered by the end of 2013, then finally April 2014, then extended to the end of May has now been delayed for another 2-3 months.....I guess at least that is slowly progressing! (This ext was originally meant to be completed by 2008!!!)

Under the Dems, the Purple LIne was tendered in early 2010 (due to the corrupt governing partners BJT pushing it for their own real estate interests), the Blue Line ext was tendered in late 2010 and the previously mentioned BTS ext to Samut Prakhan was tendered in 2011. All of course suffered delays which is normal in the dysfunctional metro planning & tender process. This is the norm regardless of who is in power.

3) SRT double tracking

The other major part of the 2.2T package was to continue and fully implement the previous Dems policy of finally double tracking the whole SRT network. Although, this process began in the early 00s, the Dems finally allocated some serious funds to massively expand the program thus reversing 50 years of the SRT network being allowed to run down without funding under successive govts.

A massive amount of money was to be allocated also providing for signalling, crossing & track upgrades. Some money for new rolling stock. This funding will continue but the program is currently about 18 months behind schedule compared to mid 2011.

The previous Transport Minister

More PR than action would be my summary and basically the govt wasted a lot of time by trying to consolidate pre-existing projects into a huge funding package which was a political mistake. These were all projects which have been years in the preparation process - many going back to Thaksins 2005 election campaign! What does he have to show for 2.5 years in power except improving a small section of the SRT northern line???

• Like 2

A superb presentation - at the very least it explains the whole thing in more simplistic terms. Fulsome praise indeed!

OTOH a simplistic presentation is probably very apt for the target audience of PTP supporters.

For this country to get back on its feet, they need to build. New air planes are just going to put a drain on the country's foreign debt. Holding things back and not getting the right people into the job to administer the country is sending them backwards.

IIRC, Thai Airways took a decision mid-summer 2011, to put all their currently-arriving new aircraft on long-leases rather than owning them outright, so no impact on debt after all.

Unless the Board subsequently reversed that decision ?