Where is your favorite thai street food restaurant in Bangkok ?

anthobkk

Hey,

I was talking with friends yesterday about our favorite street food restaurant here in bangkok and I'd love to know where is yours ?

For me it is the one you can find in sukumvit soi 101/1 named gold bay leaf and also an amazing really small one near suthisan MRT where you can get the best "pad ka paw muu tot" (sorry i've no idea how to write it) ever.

Allso noodles in soi 11 50m before the bar Cheap Charlie

What about you ? Any great street food you recommand ?

Sorry to hijack, but are street stall prices the. Same in bkk as the countryside or not sukhumvit road

I think I paid 60. Baht for those soup noodles on soil 11,

What's the average price?

I love pork noodles.

I paid Bt 50 recently on soi 11 ... nearly fell off my seat when she told me the price.

Bt 35 - Bt 40 many places around the Capitol away from the tourist areas, sometimes Bt 30 (not long ago Bt 25) on the fringe of Bangkok.

But you do get what you pay for. The Bt 50 noodles on Soi 11 were particularly tasty

Sorry to hijack, but are street stall prices the. Same in bkk as the countryside or not sukhumvit road

Usually 30-40 baht for street noodles in Bangkok. A few places are gonna be more and some places will try to overcharge foreigners. I've never eaten in Soi 11 but doesn't surprise me that area is more expensive. I'm curious how much a Thai pays for noodles there

Soi 11, Falang Soi is really a special case.

A mate of mine recently discovered just what the Aussie Pub pays for the rent on their place ... in the stratosphere!

So the pavement rent for the street food vendors would also attract a premium.

Usually 30-40 baht for street noodles in Bangkok. A few places are gonna be more and some places will try to overcharge foreigners. I've never eaten in Soi 11 but doesn't surprise me that area is more expensive. I'm curious how much a Thai pays for noodles there

30-40 thb for noodles or rice is what I've seen as the norm in Bangkok. I've definitely had vendors try to charge me farang price though; I just politely decline to pay it and keep repeating '40 baht' until they give up.

A cart on soi 13 makes great pad thai - just across from Spanky's/Family Mart. Soi 18, about a block down the street on the left, rather large Thai lady makes a very good plate of chicken fried rice. She's across from the white plastic tables set up on the right side of the street.

^^ Hey, since you know that area well, there is an informal street style Thai food place on Sukhumvit Rd between Sois 12 and 14, next to Sunrise Tacos?

It has a destive purple colour scheme.

I used to eat there a bit. Bt 35 for rice and chicken, mix of Thais and passing traffic. That was maybe 12 months ago.

Went there last time, prices had doubled, not 1 Thai eating there.

I asked for 'spicy little bit'. No chillie at all and, despite being 'stirred fried', some the vegetables were actually cold.

Do you know it?

I won't be back there again in a hurry.

Pefer to eat on Soi 19 ... still a few good places there.

i agree with the noodles on 11, not bad at all , also walking back suk towards nana, on the right side, at the entry of the lane that goes into the arab restaurant area, there are a 4 or 5 vendors there , the pad thai used to be great , but these days a bit sweet and small serving.

^^ Hey, since you know that area well, there is an informal street style Thai food place on Sukhumvit Rd between Sois 12 and 14, next to Sunrise Tacos?

It has a destive purple colour scheme.

I used to eat there a bit. Bt 35 for rice and chicken, mix of Thais and passing traffic. That was maybe 12 months ago.

Went there last time, prices had doubled, not 1 Thai eating there.

I asked for 'spicy little bit'. No chillie at all and, despite being 'stirred fried', some the vegetables were actually cold.

Do you know it?

I won't be back there again in a hurry.

Pefer to eat on Soi 19 ... still a few good places there.

Yes, I know where that place is....never eaten there and - by your latest description - it doesn't sound like I will any time soon, lol.

I'm pretty sure I've eaten on soi 19, will check it out again on next trip back.

Suk Soi 36. On the corner outside the Family Mart or Zeven (I forget which one). Very good Pad Thai IMO better then the Prathu Phii pad Thai.

Under Phrom Pong station in front of Family Mart, good mee moo deang.

Soi 36, there is a "famous" stir fry guy at near the top of the street (should be 1st guy on the right when looking into the street). He had a write up in some Japanese mag and us quite popular with the Japanese tourist, salarymen, families. Tried him a few times and its quite good, the guy puts on a show when cooking. Prices are "high" for street food. He opens later though.

If the OP is going as far as Sukhumvit 101/1 then carry on down to Soi 23 (off to the left) and about 100m or less down there is a great local Thai restaurant. A step up from a street stall but cheap. I think they open at 10:00 but spend many an afternoon and/or evening there.

Also some good places on Soi 'Lumpoon' (officially Petch-Param Road) which does what it says, connects Petchburi to Param 9. Never seen another farang in any of them over the years.

Sort of places I would normally keep quiet about but doubt they'll be invaded.

Getting back to the question, never found anything wrong with the food in the 'stall' just round the corner into Sukhumvit 3/1

• Like 1

A mate of mine recently discovered just what the Aussie Pub pays for the rent on their place ... in the stratosphere!

The 'pavement rent', as I'm sure you know, is a very different story.

Agreed.

I do wonder just how many take a cut.

Obviously the shop, whose footpath attaches, is the primary rent collector.

The local BiB?

Who else?

Of course, it's an abomination that it's 'our' footpath/pavement ... but 'tis the wonderful Thailand we live in.

I thought I'd try Arab /middle eastern food recently so I went down an alley way off soi 11 to a guy on a stall, thr alley was rather large and he was the only one there which was surprising

So I look at his menu and order a curry and bread, and I kid you not it took 40 minutes to come, there were no other customers and two guys working, they must have made the bread from scratch as it was a bit earlier In the night

I'm pretty patient but 40 mins for stall food is too long

Near the end of the meal I decided that I wanted anoteher piece of.bread, so I asked him how long will.another piece of bread take and he said two mins, so I order it and wait

I walk out and pay after 20 mins

Was not happy being lied to

Is this normal?

Agreed.

I do wonder just how many take a cut.

Obviously the shop, whose footpath attaches, is the primary rent collector.

The local BiB?

Who else?

Of course, it's an abomination that it's 'our' footpath/pavement ... but 'tis the wonderful Thailand we live in.

The shop/bar doesn't get it. Go to the next on your list.

The sidewalk restaurant just past the front of Central World, opens about 6pm. Mostly Isarn food...terrific grilled salted fish, Gai Yang, Larb and Nam Tok...very popular with Thais. Many of the tables are communal and friendly. English menus are available and have prices posted on them so no dual pricing.

I always bring visiting friends and relatives there, everybody always has a great time.

I recently took a gang of visitors to Victory Monument for the 10 baht boat noodles - they loved it, I think everyone had 5 bowls :)

Follow the footpath from the BTS (Victory Monument) to the right and walk past the two malls and you'll see lots of vans below around an open shopping arcade - you'll see maybe 4 or 5 places down an alley on the canal, some with air conditioning, each restaurant has staff wearing different coloured shirts, purple, orange, green and blue is our favourite. They are all packed at lunchtime all offering the small bowl for 10 baht.

• Like 2

I recently took a gang of visitors to Victory Monument for the 10 baht boat noodles - they loved it, I think everyone had 5 bowls :)

Follow the footpath from the BTS (Victory Monument) to the right and walk past the two malls and you'll see lots of vans below around an open shopping arcade - you'll see maybe 4 or 5 places down an alley on the canal, some with air conditioning, each restaurant has staff wearing different coloured shirts, purple, orange, green and blue is our favourite. They are all packed at lunchtime all offering the small bowl for 10 baht.[/quote

My wife took me there on a date in 2004! They were 10 baht then too.well worth a visit..I love street food.sometimes it costs more in transport to visit some famous stall in the middle of nowhere.good times.

Sent from my SM-T2105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I recently took a gang of visitors to Victory Monument for the 10 baht boat noodles - they loved it, I think everyone had 5 bowls smile.png

Follow the footpath from the BTS (Victory Monument) to the right and walk past the two malls and you'll see lots of vans below around an open shopping arcade - you'll see maybe 4 or 5 places down an alley on the canal, some with air conditioning, each restaurant has staff wearing different coloured shirts, purple, orange, green and blue is our favourite. They are all packed at lunchtime all offering the small bowl for 10 baht.

Had forgotten all about those. Well, been avoiding the area for many months.

Possibly the cheapest meals in town, or just eat till you're full.

Apart from being a general focal point, proximity to the 'minibus' terminus might be another reason they are what and where they are.

Can be fascinating to watch the kitchens and 'production line' speed and methods they turn out the dishes.

Suk Soi 36. On the corner outside the Family Mart or Zeven (I forget which one). Very good Pad Thai IMO better then the Prathu Phii pad Thai.

Under Phrom Pong station in front of Family Mart, good mee moo deang.

Soi 36, there is a "famous" stir fry guy at near the top of the street (should be 1st guy on the right when looking into the street). He had a write up in some Japanese mag and us quite popular with the Japanese tourist, salarymen, families. Tried him a few times and its quite good, the guy puts on a show when cooking. Prices are "high" for street food. He opens later though.

You mean soi 38 for the stir fry guy right?

I could name a few around Pattanakan 70 onwards....but I doubt many of you will ever get out that way.

Perhaps the On Nut beer garden should get a mention....excellent Pad Thai there....no idea where they get it from though...too busy drinking the cheap beers.

Edited by smokie36

I could name a few around Pattanakan 70 onwards....but I doubt many of you will ever get out that way.

Perhaps the On Nut beer garden should get a mention....excellent Pad Thai there....no idea where they get it from though...too busy drinking the cheap beers.

I need to check this place out. Thanks for the tip!

I think I know the one sandman above is referring to ... I go there all the time.

It's on Sukhumvit and it's either between Soi 3 and 1 or between Soi 1 and the rail track.

During the day it's a market, at night it transforms in the big open air eatry.

Used to be one big space, but now partitioned in 1/2 for some reason.

Real mix of folk eat there, from the cops though to regulars like me.

Maybe always 1/2 full of Thai folk.

The bonus is that it has a toilet

I'll see if I can grab some photos...