Update on Cigar Stores in Chiang Mai........

Thighlander

If you're referring to "The Chedi Chiang Mai" that used to be located on Charoen Prathet at the foot of Sridonchai (where it meets the river.....), it no longer exists, and hasn't for quite some time.

I do feel your pain, however!

There's nothing quite like a well aged Montecristo Robustos Millenium to follow up a 17 baht double egg omelette (from way back in the alley...wink.png ), a 12 baht shopping mall ice cream cone and a 22 baht jug of PepsiMax gleaned from the bargain bins at Tesco.

Are we living the dream?

Or....what?

If you're referring to "The Chedi Chiang Mai" that used to be located on Charoen Prathet at the foot of Sridonchai (where it meets the river.....), it no longer exists, and hasn't for quite some time.

There's nothing quite like a well aged Montecristo Robustos Millenium to follow up a 17 baht double egg omelette (from way back in the alley...wink.png ), a 12 baht shopping mall ice cream cone and a 22 baht jug of PepsiMax gleaned from the bargain bins at Tesco.

Are we living the dream?

Or....what?

The Chedi is now the Anantara Chiang Mai Resort....and according to their website, still boasts a cigar bar and lounge.

Cigars are waaaay too expensive to purchase regularly in Thailand due to the onerous tax placed upon tobacco. If one smokes cigars on a regular basis, probably cheaper to find inexpensive flights to Singapore or Hong Kong and buy several boxes in the duty free to bring back. Repeat as necessary.

i've done it about 4-5 times and have not had any trouble. the cigar place does not put down what is inside the box, nor any price. i've had nothing but success with them.

I got dinged on my last shipment from the Philippines just over 100% duties/taxes on the order. They had been coming direct to my place previously. My box is always unmarked, so inspections are somewhat random. The smoke shop near the Hotspot Disco has a small selection, authenticity unknown.

Are we living the dream?

Or....what?

The Chedi is now the Anantara Chiang Mai Resort....and according to their website, still boasts a cigar bar and lounge.

Cigars are waaaay too expensive to purchase regularly in Thailand due to the onerous tax placed upon tobacco. If one smokes cigars on a regular basis, probably cheaper to find inexpensive flights to Singapore or Hong Kong and buy several boxes in the duty free to bring back. Repeat as necessary.

If caught however you could have them all confiscated AND get a large fine. Smuggling in alcohol and tobacco over the duty-free limits seems to be one thing they are very strict about. I came way too close to getting busted once and no longer take chances.

I agree with the other posters that suggest having them mailed. I get cigars mailed form Hong Kong every month. I Usually have to pay 800-1200 Baht duty per package at the post office. Other times they come through with no duty added and lately I've had to go to Laem Chabaeng (port of entry) a few times to pick up a package.

Even with duty added it's cheaper to buy by the box and have them mailed.

i have them shipped in. much much cheaper

http://www.cigarplace.biz

Looked interesting. Might give them a try. Any idea where their office is? I'm waiting to hear from www.famous-smoke.com who has a much better selection and a lot of promo code type stuff.

What about ordering from those two great cigar stores in BKK (that I know of). One at Dusit Thani Saladaeng: Siam-Havana (I think) and the other one on Asoke inside the Sukhumvit Grand Millenium hotel......They seemed to be only about 10% more expensive than the duty free at Swamy, where last Fall I paid about 540 THB for a 5 pack of Monte Cristos. Has anyone tried that route?

i have them shipped in. much much cheaper

http://www.cigarplace.biz

What about ordering from those two great cigar stores in BKK (that I know of). One at Dusit Thani Saladaeng: Siam-Havana (I think) and the other one on Asoke inside the Sukhumvit Grand Millenium hotel......They seemed to be only about 10% more expensive than the duty free at Swamy, where last Fall I paid about 540 THB for a 5 pack of Monte Cristos. Has anyone tried that route?

The fact that you can buy cigars from Siam Havana that are taxed and they are only 10% more expensive than the "duty free" prices at BKK is demonstrative of how much of a rip-off the King Power group is for duty free cigars. I've gone in person to Siam Havana at the Dusit Thani hotel - nice store but it's considerably expensive by international standards, nearly comparable to the stratospheric U.K. prices.

I have a friend soon to return to his homeland who has a humidor to sell.If any of you cigar lovers are interested pm me and I will get more info

PM sent, and I'd be interested to hear from any of you as to how you deal with the storage issue here.

I first came to Thailand with a stash of Dominican/Honduran/Nicaraguan sticks several years ago, and fully intended to transfer them to a properly maintained humidor just as soon as I could find one.

In all of that time, I've yet to see one for sale anywhere, and have (more or less...) given up on the prospect.

Having said that... I've still got several dozen of those original cigars, and although they are only being kept in either a non-humidified Spanish cedar box or a zippered leather pouch (in unsealed plastic wrappers), they all seem to be just fine. No signs of either over or under humidification.

Maybe the ambient humidity in these parts is sufficient?

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have experience with cigar.com? Not specifying 'cigars' on the declaration is a bonus. I was in the shop, that I mentioned in an earlier post, near the old HotShots today. They have a selection of Monte Cristo, Partagas, Punch, Guantanamera. Not inexpensive.

Does anyone have experience with cigar.com? Not specifying 'cigars' on the declaration is a bonus. I was in the shop, that I mentioned in an earlier post, near the old HotShots today. They have a selection of Monte Cristo, Partagas, Punch, Guantanamera. Not inexpensive.

I've used them when in the US, never ordered from Thailand. No problems whatsoever.

I didn't realize they shipped internationally.