laser hifu treatment for cancer

leeroy221

Hi,

We live im the UK and my father has been diagnosed with lung cancer and has been told that half his lung will be cut out, he is also just recovering from triple heart bypass surgery. My wife who is Thai has just told me about a new machime they have in BKK called laser hifu which can treat and kill cancer. Was wondering if anyone here knows much about it or knows anyome who has had this treatment and the results.

Also if anyone knows the costs and hospital duration.

Thanks, Lee

It is not laser, it is "High-intensity focused ultrasound"

There are clinical trials underway on its use for prostate cancer, not yet approved, still in experimental stage. There is one hospital in Thailand doing it (Samitivej) with the disclaimer that it is not an approved treatment -- and only for prostate cancer.

No one is studying its use in lung cancer. Its potential applications would be for cancers that are much more accessible than lung cancers tend to be. The beam has to be positioned close to the tumor (in the case of prostate cancer it is inserted into the rectum so as to get very close to the prostate - and even that is, as stated, still experimental).

I can assure that there are no proven treatments for cancer available in Thailand that are not also available in the UK.

Also consider commercial aircraft travel; your father may not be fit to travel yet if he is still recuperating from bypass surgery and will definitely require a prolonged period of recuperation after the lung surgery before able to fly.

Agree with Sheryl; safer (given travel risks) and better off in the UK.

Sheryl, if I may, without starting a new topic.

I go to Pramonkutklau for cystascope check for cysts on the bladder every 6 months (clear last time) and I met a man there who was in for a 3 month check up who told me he had, about a year back, some new procedure done for prostrate cancer by Dr Bandit. He said it was minimal invasive and up till then a success with full sexual function and no problems with urinating.

I was wondering is it could be the "High-intensity focused ultrasound" that you mentioned or if it would be something else.

Robby

If it was done at Pramonkutklau then not HIFU. only being done at Samitivej AFAIK.

Could have been any number of things. Brachytherapy, for example. Or a nerve-sparing surgical technique.

Whatever it was, that this one person had full sexual function does not mean that all patients getting that treatment will.

If it was done at Pramonkutklau then not HIFU. only being done at Samitivej AFAIK.

Could have been any number of things. Brachytherapy, for example. Or a nerve-sparing surgical technique.

Whatever it was, that this one person had full sexual function does not mean that all patients getting that treatment will.

Thanks Sheryl

Just curious.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies, sorry its taken me a while to get back to you.

Well my father got a call to go into hospital the next day for the op to remove half of his lung. They did a keyhole procedure and in the end they didn't remove the lung as they said it was not actually cancer! Just have to wait now to find out exactly what it is.

Thanks again,