Pc Won't Boot Up

bonsaimax

When booting up, it doesn't go past the Windows logo. It resets and reboots all over again. Tried tinkering with the BIOS settings, to no avail. The only change I remember doing before this happened, was to install the drivers for the mainboard. I have since unistalled them hoping that all would go back to normal.

When booting up, it doesn't go past the Windows logo. It resets and reboots all over again. Tried tinkering with the BIOS settings, to no avail. The only change I remember doing before this happened, was to install the drivers for the mainboard. I have since unistalled them hoping that all would go back to normal.

If you are using Windows XP.

I don't remember where I got this so I can't credit the source;

How to Start System Restore from the Command Line

Sometimes when you install a program or driver, it might render XP unbootable. If your computer won't boot into the operating system normally, you might be able to boot into Safe Mode and use System Restore to go back to a previous restore point to fix the problem. But what if you can't even boot into safe mode? Then you need to start the System Restore tool from the command line. Here's how:

1.When booting your computer, press F8 to bring up a boot menu

2.Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt

3.Select the operating system to start (if you have multiple operating systems installed)

4.Log on with an account that is a member of the administrators group

5.At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

6.Press Enter

7.This will start the "Welcome to System Restore" screen. Go through the steps of the Wizard and follow the instructions to restore your system to a previous restore point

That part is confusing: But what if you can't even boot into safe mode? Then you need to start the System Restore tool from the command line. ....

How can you log on if you can't boot the computer?

That part is confusing: But what if you can't even boot into safe mode? Then you need to start the System Restore tool from the command line. ....

Plus, it helps to read all the directions. :o

With my computer I have to push the delete key to get into setup. The F-8 doesn't work.

Luckily, I was able to boot in Safe Mode. It then asked me if I would like to restore to a certain point within the past few days. It then restarted normally sans the programs and drivers I installed yesterday.

Thanks again, Gary A

Hi,

I'm glad to hear the OP has found a solution. To access the hard drive if you can't boot the computer's operating system even in safe mode, boot from the Windows XP CD and chose to repair the installation manually.

Peter