Small man who made a big mark in Phuket expat society dies

webfact

Small man who made a big mark in Phuket expat society dies
Alasdair Forbes

PHUKET: -- The diminutive John Devenport, stalwart of the Grumpy Old Men’s Society (GOMS) of Phuket, died last night (June 5) in the UK.

The 70-year-old was born and went to school in Connah’s Quay in North Wales, and the went on to what he described as “the University of Life, Brooklyn USA”.

A self-employed, self-made man, John was keen on motorsport in his spare time, taking part in many car rallies in Wales as a co-driver/navigator, experience that came in useful when he played a crucial role in planning and organising the GOMS’ annual charity rally in Phuket. He was also a devoted Manchester United fan.

After his retirement he spent part of the year in Phuket and part in his homeland, where he had a home in the North Wales resort town of Prestatyn.

On his Facebook page, he remarked, “I am me. You get what you see.” What people saw was an unshakeable optimism and the ability to make friends with anyone.

Jum Ali Khan, a co-organiser and car lover, remarked today, “His cheerful demeanour and willingness to say it like it really is will be sadly missed by his friends and colleagues.”

Funeral arrangements in the UK and celebrations of his life in Phuket have yet to be arranged.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/small-man-who-made-a-big-mark-in-phuket-expat-society-dies-46704.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-06-06

Loved this guy, we used to do breakfast at Don's regularly. Funny guy, wealth of great stories. Joined us for dinner at the Family about a year ago, commented that he was just back from England from some Dr. checkup related medical matters.

I know he was in poor health for about the last year.

RIP John, you will be missed by many for sure.