gold coins into thai

Depending how many, and which country you're coming from, you might not be allowed to carry them out.

Beyond perhaps 1 or 2 I wouldn't risk bringing any in.

What would you do with them here anyway?

Put them in secure storage at home or sell them and use the proceeds to buy Thai gold once here.

• Like 1

For what purpose? Foreign gold coins are not easy to sell. The gold shops won't want to buy them and even at auction in Bangkok they often don't get a decent bid (if any at all) unless they're Chinese or Thai and have some collectible value.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

wot they said.

There is no effective market for foreign gold. There is an assayer in Bangkok though.

When in Thailand trade Thai Baht gold.

You could bring them in and their value would be covered in the financial instruments declaration requirements.

Edited by noodle
  • Like 1

Thanks All, Probably better to take what I would have spent on the coins and just buy gold in thai. My wife would rather have the jewelry anyhow I would suspect. Have a good day.

Better to buy gold. Apart from being the currency, Baht is also the unit of weight used for gold, pretty close to half an ounce. You can buy 1, 2, 5 Baht etc gold 'biscuits' as some call them.

The buy/sell spread is negligible, probably lowest in the world, but that all changes when you start buying in jewellery form. Stick to the plain gold.

Always get a receipt. The majority of the gold shops here are sound but it gives you some proof or provenance.

Edited by Bpuumike

You can sell international gold coins here such as the maple leaf but you will lose significantly in margin below spot value. Better to trade Thai gold if possible. If I were you I would sell the maple leafs in your country, bring/transfer the cash, then if you want to get back into gold, buy local gold (96.5% baht weight instead of troy ounce). This is sold at a very tight margin above spot.

Depending how many, and which country you're coming from, you might not be allowed to carry them out.

Beyond perhaps 1 or 2 I wouldn't risk bringing any in.

What would you do with them here anyway?

Put them in secure storage at home or sell them and use the proceeds to buy Thai gold once here.

I would think selling them on the secondary market, such as craigslist might be the way to go. Sure there would be some guys interested in buying gold coins at spot value. Do not let the coin shops rip you off. No reason they should not be paying spot, or very close to it.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app