US passport renewal and visa extension stamp transfer.

scudman

Is it as simple as taking the old and new passports to Phuket Immigration and getting the required extension (retirement) stamp put into the new passport? Any documents / forms / payment required?

You might need the letter that the Embassy gives you when you get the new passport stating that they have issued you a new passport and cancelled the old one. The US Embassy gives you the letter when you get the new passport, but it has been reported that other Embassies don't and you have to request it.

• Like 1

never been charged in Phuket for transferring visas

I was not aware that the "Visa", Non-O in this case, was transferred. I thought that was not possible. Was told that only the current Extension stamp was transferred.

Yes, they transfer the visa (although the stamp they use bears no resemblance to the original visa stamp). I had mine done last year. After providing the relevant forms and passports (old and new), the immigration guy gave me a smug look and said that I needed a letter from the embassy (as per post #4). I had indeed needed to request this letter when attending my embassy - they had not said anything about it prior to my asking. So I then handed the letter to the immigration guy and he seemed not so happy that I actually had it (gawd knows why). Take no chances - be sure to get that letter.

Edited by Ping

They don't transfer visas, ever. If you had a single entry visa that you used to enter the country, it's no longer valid once you've used it anyway. The only thing that matters is the immigration stamp showing that you were granted permission to stay and the dates for that permission.

If you have further entries allowed on a visa, then you need to carry both passports when exiting/re-entering the country.

The O/P is here on an extension, so the visa he entered with is of historical interest only. It's no longer valid.

They transfer your permission/extension of stay stamp to the new passport.

You can download the application required here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/files/file/20-transfer-stamp-to-a-new-passport-form/

As the application form title says: "Transfer stamp to new passport."

Stamp. Not visa.

Edited by Suradit69

If you have further entries allowed on a visa, then you need to carry both passports when exiting/re-entering the country.

I thought that, unlike many other countries, the US does not allow you to keep the old passport.

The US punches holes in the front and back cover to "deface" the passport and stamps cancelled on the Bio page, but it does not deface the existing valid visas and gives you the old passport back after they do as I stated above.

I am thinking about getting a new passport while in the US and return to Phuket while the visa/extension are still valid. I have a re-entry permit.

Will the Phuket Airport Immigration officer stamp both passports? Or just the new one that has no visa, extension or re-entry information? What should I do in preparation for this entry?

I still have time on the passport, so maybe smarter to just get the new passport after I return?

Thanks. I hope my inquiry is clear.

I am thinking about getting a new passport while in the US and return to Phuket while the visa/extension are still valid. I have a re-entry permit.

Will the Phuket Airport Immigration officer stamp both passports? Or just the new one that has no visa, extension or re-entry information? What should I do in preparation for this entry?

I still have time on the passport, so maybe smarter to just get the new passport after I return?

Thanks. I hope my inquiry is clear.

Only will stamp in new passport

i had a new US passport issued in Cambodia in 2008, used my old passport with re entry permit twice to enter Thailand before i had it transfered to my new passport

Getting passports in the states takes 4-6 weeks, getting them thru an embassy overseas is around10-14 days

They will only transfer the re entry / an old stamp at the immigration it was issued

Here is what was placed in my new passport ( issued 2008)

originalstamp_zpsdfa71a92.jpeg

Original stamp ( copy showing i entered at Sadao) entering Thailand in 2002 and that it was transferred from old passport,

Phuket did not ask for letter from embassy

Edited by phuketrichard

Great! Does it come with a copy of MicroSoft Word? When will people learn to use some portable format, which is available for free, like PDF?

You can get LibreOffice. It is free and reads and writes all MS Office created docs, or not.